In reality, Thailand is not the LGBTQ+ paradise like it pretends to be

webfact

9 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Thailand and the LGBTQ community is strange... One one hand it seems accepted, but it is not at all.. Gay men marry because they now they are not accepted as Gay in their live/work/family. Ladyboys pretend to be girls for the same reasons often. Yes there is no violence against these people, but they are not accepted too. If Thailand was a leader there should be a legal relationship possible for many years already, but there is still although many years promised still nothing for these people. Question is why?? Why tolerant but why no acceptance/education and or support?? 

Gay marriage is not allowed in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Pride is about LGBT freedom and civil rights.

Don't they have full civil rights in many countries already?

I don't think you can change the whole world, unfortunately. You think North Korea or Pakistan will ever come on board?

Even before gay marriage was legalized in many Western countries, two men could already be in a legal civil union and get the legal benefits of that, just like a man and a woman.

What more benefits do you get from marriage than a civil partnership doesn't offer?

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Even in the most advanced nations LGBT people still face homophobia even from their own families and certainly from religions.

Look, there are always gonna be people who don't like blacks, Christians, gays, straight white men, Asians, Muslims, Americans, etc. etc.

Realistically, it will never be gone 100% and we all have certain groups that dislike us for who we are.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know if already mentioned, but I think it comes down to their religious/Buddhist teaching, of live & let live.

Considering the draconic Christian & Islam faiths, not surprising things are a bit better here for all things, including alternative lifestyles from those other 2 religions consider normal.

A very good thing, freedom to exercise your lifestyle, whatever you chose that to be ????

I'm not very interested in religions including Buddhism but maybe someone knowledgeable can answer. Is it true that many Thai Buddhists believe being gay or transgender is punishment for misdeeds in past lives?

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not very interested in religions including Buddhism but maybe someone knowledgeable can answer. Is it true that many Thai Buddhists believe being gay or transgender is punishment for misdeeds in past lives?

I have never heard that expressed by any of my Thai friends or employees. But that is a very small and skewed sample.

Followup: I just asked this specific question of a close friend. His simple answer: "Nope"

Edited by timendres
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1