In reality, Thailand is not the LGBTQ+ paradise like it pretends to be

webfact

24 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

What is LGBT "paradise" anyway?

Somewhere where children under 16 can have body parts removed because they think they might like to be the opposite gender?

Somewhere where people are arrested/pilloried for using the pronoun for someone's biological sex because the individual they are referring to wishes to be another gender?

Somewhere where men can wear a dress and then use the women's toilets/changing rooms? Or go to women's prisons?

Somewhere where we have pride days every week/month so the LBGT community can flaunt their sexuality by dancing erotically while half naked in the streets?

Because if that's "paradise", maybe Thailand is better off as it is?

My two cents.

First one. Sounds inappropriate. I googled it and it said ' Genital reassignment surgery should be reserved for those 18 and older, according to guidelines for the medical care of transgender patients developed by the World Professional Association for Transgender Health, or WPATH. Sounds more reasonable. Up to the individual once an adult. 

Second one: Agree if it's happening. Not aware of it happening. Should not be forced into accepting gender fluidity but it doesn't hurt to be polite if possible and not make a big deal of it. And be open minded that it could be a thing maybe. Not heard of people being arrested and probably even being pilloried is rare except online. 

Third one: Toilets is a bit tricky but I think it can be agreed it is not a major issue of concern e.g. no evidence of attacks.

Trans woman in a woman's jail only in my opinion with strong evidence e.g. clear long term evidence of living as a woman. Strict guidelines. 

Fourth one:  Normally parades are once a year. A bit ho hum for me but if it upsets you fair enough.

You can believe in rights and at the same time agree that they'll always be difficult issues at the edges that need scrutiny without attributing such issues to the community as a whole. 

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Thanks for the sensible response. It's a welcome change from the lazy insults from other less thoughtful posters.

So it would appear that LGBT paradise is difficult to define. Which was clearly the point I was making.

Others would disagree with you and want more or less rights on each point. An interesting debate on what the end goal of the LGBT "community" actually wants (if such a community really exists, but that's another debate).

Douglas Murray for example is a gay man who would probably not want the rights I suggested others might and certainly wouldn't call it paradise. Now, there's one gay man I could really get behind (if you'll excuse the pun).

Roy Cohn, Trump's mentor, one of the biggest villians ever, was a gay man too.

Murray is a far right wing extremist and Fox "News" contributor.

Of course you like him.

It's hilarious how the right wing gloms onto certain token minorities that spew reactionary garbage such as Candace Owens.

Cynical game. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I just ignore that nonsense and will never cater to it.

I totally agree with you but unfortunately you come across people who are intent on using meaningless words and phrases and get upset when you ask what are they talking about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, n00dle said:

In reality, neither Thailand, nor anywhere else is any sort of paradise

I think 50 pretty girls on stage in a gogo bar is already near to paradise.

Adding any people from that multi letter groups doesn't make the situation any better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

I think 50 pretty girls on stage in a gogo bar is already near to paradise.

Adding any people from that multi letter groups doesn't make the situation any better.

see, 50 bargirls is my idea of hell. 

8 minutes ago, bignok said:

How about finding solutions for the poor, the sick, the mentally ill. Driver training, better job skills 

I'm sick of hearing about gays, Trump etc. Same old stories.

Such causes are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by Jingthing

50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Define accepted. Or here's an easier question. How are gays not accepted in Thailand?

As long as the director of my school ask at P 4,5,6 kids if the are gay ( in Thai Tut), and the kids are ashamed and deny it, it is not accepted. Watch the movie Beautiful Boxer... Being not hetero is not "normal" in Thailand,, Speak with gay youth if you like to know.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, ikke1959 said:

As long as the director of my school ask at P 4,5,6 kids if the are gay ( in Thai Tut), and the kids are ashamed and deny it, it is not accepted. Watch the movie Beautiful Boxer... Being not hetero is not "normal" in Thailand,, Speak with gay youth if you like to know.. 

There is bullying, yes?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you celebrate it. Many of us don't do that.

LBGTQ+/- whatever can live just like everybody else. Walk on the streets, go shopping, go to restaurants and bars, enjoy life. What is it that these LBGTQ+/- whatever cannot do?

It seems the main problem is in their perception. If you think all the time that you are suppressed than don't be surprised that you feel suppressed. Just live your life, don't take everything around you too serious, and all will be fine. 

Im not sure if it is same now as before, but ladyboys could not attend some nightclubs in Patong. 

However have three ladyboys in family, one in school age who is completely accepted both by family and in school, as well one lady working for an international company, and one for a beauty company travelling among the shops in the chain and making campain stands. From what I have learned they have every possible option to succeed in life as anyone else, and they all grew up in a village in Isaan. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

But would still be legally binding in a civil court, depending what is actually in your 'documents'.

In TH, except for private hospital offered from employment, everyone is already, if wanting, on the universal healthcare plan, so not like one needs you partner's health bennies.   Along with Soc Sec, the pittance that is given in TH, wouldn't be missed if you didn't even get your own.

Are there really that many rights that come with marriage, especially in TH. 

Any other rights, employment, education, whether on the books or not, are easily ignored, unless you filed a suit for discrimination, and that's worldwide.

We have made contracts with eachother and yes it solves a lot of problems, but surely not the same as a legal . and lawful  Marriage or registered partnership

• Like 1