Thai folk legend Pumpuang Duangjan’s anniversary sparks lottery frenzy

snoop1130

IMG_7782.jpg

Luck favours the bold! On the 31st anniversary of the singer Pumpuang Duangjan’s passing, her legion of devoted followers planned to enter the lottery in the hopes of winning her blessings.

The passing of Pumpuang Duangjan, known as the Queen of Thai Folk Music, was commemorated yesterday by family, friends, and fans who continue to admire the exceptional quality of her music. This year marks the 31st anniversary of her passing. Pumpuang’s classic songs are still played and enjoyed by many people today.

To commemorate the anniversary of Pumpuang’s passing this year, her former husband, Kraisorn Saenganan, son Petch Pumpuang, and Pumpuang’s sister, along with her fans, participated in a merit-making ceremony and remembrance event at the Sala Kan Prian Sutham Rattanarat Bumroong in Thap Kradan temple, Song Phi Nong district, Suphan Buri province.

During the event, Kraisorn performed a ritual seeking blessings from Pumpuang before he picked up a ping pong ball containing the numbers ‘5-1-5’ in sequence. Intriguingly, these numbers corresponded with Pumpuang’s former house number, 51/15, situated at Phasi temple in Bangkok. This coincidence led numerous lottery enthusiasts to purchase tickets using this sequence as their auspicious numbers.

By Samantha Rose

Caption: PHOTO: Facebook/พุ่มพวง ดวงจันทร์

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-folk-legend-pumpuang-duangchans-anniversary-sparks-lottery-frenzy-with-auspicious-numbers

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 2

A voice that breaks your heart. She had to leave school after second grade primary school because her family were too poor to let her continue ( hired sugar can cutters). Consequently she never learnt to read though she could sing countless songs from memory.

• Like 2

Good Lord from the Thaiger as well! Met all her family and Kraisorn, he seems a nice bloke despsite the stories about him. Her son Petch was educated in the USA so speaks good Englsih, not sure if he is still a DJ at FM 95. Three of her sisters also sang and one was quite good. Concert tonight at Soi Ekami Wat, the lottery numbers at Trap kadan is always on going. She died of complications of lupus disease. 

Edited by proton
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 6:44 PM, proton said:

Good Lord from the Thaiger as well! Met all her family and Kraisorn, he seems a nice bloke despsite the stories about him. Her son Petch was educated in the USA so speaks good Englsih, not sure if he is still a DJ at FM 95. Three of her sisters also sang and one was quite good. Concert tonight at Soi Ekami Wat, the lottery numbers at Trap kadan is always on going. She died of complications of lupus disease. 

I was told, she died from HIV complications, or was that the Thai rumor mill.

The wife's daughter often plays her songs.

And I do not know about Thai royalties and copyrights, but listening to her songs, a lot of other Thai artist are singing them as, well and one is by a well-known singer so the wife said, her estate must be missing out on a lot of money.

We saw one of her daughters in a concert a good few years ago, not my cup of tea, (A Pong-Sit fan), she was good. the wife enjoyed it. 

36 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I was told, she died from HIV complications, or was that the Thai rumor mill.

The wife's daughter often plays her songs.

And I do not know about Thai royalties and copyrights, but listening to her songs, a lot of other Thai artist are singing them as, well and one is by a well-known singer so the wife said, her estate must be missing out on a lot of money.

We saw one of her daughters in a concert a good few years ago, not my cup of tea, (A Pong-Sit fan), she was good. the wife enjoyed it. 

Lot of daft stories about her death and her career, definitely lupus. Her brother shot her first 'husband' in the Dusit Thani car park, obviously not in the film, he got just 5 years in prison. Another ever green myth is the the young wonder singer of the time, who used to appear with her sometimes, Yui Yatt Yerr was her secret daughter. Many concerts feature her songs today and they are favourites at contests. I think this girl Nong Guitar will be a star, sings Pung songs very well

Edited by proton