Possible to do SETV in Vientiane after years on Covid extensions and border runs?

Is it possible to get an SETV in Vientiane after having been here since 2019 on border runs and Covid extensions?  I've already done my two border runs and two 30-day extensions this year.  If I fly to Laos, would I be rejected either while applying for the visa in Vientiane or upon attempting to re-enter Thailand by air?  Thanks for any advice.

Edited by anymajordude

52 minutes ago, anymajordude said:

If I fly to Laos, would I be rejected either while applying for the visa in Vientiane or upon attempting to re-enter Thailand by air? 

IF lucky enough to be granted a tourist visa then you might have chance to enter Thailand.

Flying back visa exempt to Thailand I hoping you try.

We haven't had recent reports of refused entry and fly back to point of departure.

Been in Thailand since 2019.

Well done. Heading for big fall.

Spend time out of Thailand.

Vietnam would be one suggestion 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

IF lucky enough to be granted a tourist visa then you might have chance to enter Thailand.

Flying back visa exempt to Thailand I hoping you try.

We haven't had recent reports of refused entry and fly back to point of departure.

What are my odds of getting the tourist visa?  And would other places be better than Vientiane (Penang, Phnom Penh, etc.)?

Are you saying that I might be able to simply do a visa exempt entry by air?

Also, I don't know if this matters, but I have a new passport.  I will have to transfer my stamps next time I leave Thailand, but all of my previous extensions won't be visible in the new passport, though I assume it will still show up in their computer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, anymajordude said:

What are my odds of getting the tourist visa?  And would other places be better than Vientiane (Penang, Phnom Penh, etc.)?

Are you saying that I might be able to simply do a visa exempt entry by air?

Also, I don't know if this matters, but I have a new passport.  I will have to transfer my stamps next time I leave Thailand, but all of my previous extensions won't be visible in the new passport, though I assume it will still show up in their computer.

New pp means nothing..

You ask about flying visa exempt via air.

Good luck with that.

You stated continuous stay in Thailand since 2019.

Granted we had covid based extensions etc.

Be straight up. Why continuous stay required. Why not spend time in another country.

If I was io I would suspect you are working in Thailand and refuse entry at at airport on arrival.

3 years come on. 

Clearly you are under 50 ? And cannot obtain non O based on retirement 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Be straight up. Why continuous stay required. Why not spend time in another country.

If I was io I would suspect you are working in Thailand and refuse entry at at airport on arrival.

3 years come on. 

Clearly you are under 50 ? And cannot obtain non O based on retirement 

How long would I have to spend outside Thailand before re-entering (whether visa exempt or with a tourist visa)?

And yes, I am under 50, but I am not working here or doing anything illegal.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, anymajordude said:

How long would I have to spend outside Thailand before re-entering (whether visa exempt or with a tourist visa)?

And yes, I am under 50, but I am not working here or doing anything illegal.

You have not stated time spent out of Thailand.

Obviously covid from March 2020 sort of does not count.

So in last 12 months what is your history staying in Thailand. 

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You have not stated time spent out of Thailand.

Obviously covid from March 2020 sort of does not count.

So in last 12 months what is your history staying in Thailand. 

I've been here continuously except for border runs.

In your place , which I’m glad I’m not, I would spend 6 months in Cambodia where it’s quite cheap to live . Then get a visa as Brit Tim suggested .It will be worse for your future in Thailand if you get stamped refused. And yes, flying in they will see everything on their computer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, geisha said:

In your place , which I’m glad I’m not, I would spend 6 months in Cambodia where it’s quite cheap to live . Then get a visa as Brit Tim suggested .It will be worse for your future in Thailand if you get stamped refused. And yes, flying in they will see everything on their computer.

Good plan.

Substantial time out of Thailand would be useful.

Almost open the window for visa exempt entries via land for next calendar year.

If 6 months out of Thailand perhaps even flight in visa exempt.

For me it would be Vietnam over Cambodia but that's down to personal choice. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ThailandYoda said:

If you have the funds in the bank, either 300 or 400K Baht (or equivalent) head over to Melbourne Australia Consulate. Very Friendly 

The OP is USA.

Even if he was Oz why on earth would he go all the way to Melbourne 

On 6/15/2023 at 12:13 AM, BritTim said:

If you can get an appointment in Vientiane, and they do not ask to see your old passport, you have a good chance of getting a tourist visa in Vientiane. With a visa, you can safely return via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai. Your chances of a visa exempt entry by air would be poor because immigration can see your whole history.

You might have a better chance of a tourist visa, if Vientiane wants to look at your old passport, in Yangon or Kota Bharu (not very convenient to travel to).

Your days as a long stay tourist are likely close to over. Plan accordingly.

Ive been to embassy in Vientiane 3 times with a fresh passport and have never been asked to show my old one.

New tourist visa each time no problem.

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2023 at 12:13 AM, BritTim said:

If you can get an appointment in Vientiane, and they do not ask to see your old passport, you have a good chance of getting a tourist visa in Vientiane. With a visa, you can safely return via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai. Your chances of a visa exempt entry by air would be poor because immigration can see your whole history.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I return by air if I'm able to get a tourist visa in Vientiane?  Or might I be rejected at the airport even with the tourist visa?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, anymajordude said:

Thanks for the reply.

Can I return by air if I'm able to get a tourist visa in Vientiane?  Or might I be rejected at the airport even with the tourist visa?

With a visa, there ought not to be a problem flying in. However, at both Bangkok airports, there were some cases pre Covid of denied entry of long stay tourists with actual tourist visas. I do not recall any recent reports of this and, according to the Immigration Act, it should not happen (unless there are genuine grounds under Section 12 of the Act for denying entry). Nevertheless, those of a nervous disposition would be well advised to cross the Friendship Bridge and return via domestic flights from Udon Thani airport.