Getting a work permit with Non O (marriage to Non B holder)

It is possible but it also depends on the classification of the company (BOI, non BOI) as well as the location as in on or off an Industrial Estate.

Rules are the same everywhere throughout Thailand I would say as the WP is not handed out by immigration but by the ministry or the one stop service

I have it since 2014 when I retired and returned a year later.

This is an uncommon scenario, and I am not certain how the labour office will react. It is possible that they will claim that someone who is a dependant (the type of Non O you have) cannot have a work permit. I suggest discussing it with the labour department. Worst case, there should be ways around it, perhaps by changing the reason for your permission to stay.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

Yes, I have had a work permit with a Non-O Marriage visa since 2008.

However, I live in Bangkok, other provinces might differ.

The OP is not married to a Thai.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

11 hours ago, Callmeishmael said:

Yes, I have had a work permit with a Non-O Marriage visa since 2008.

However, I live in Bangkok, other provinces might differ.

I think more important that your location could be the key difference between being married to a Thai, and having a non-Thai wife piggy backing as your dependant off your permission to stay based on working in Thailand. I am not saying the dependant would not be given a work permit, but I do not think it can be assumed based on your experience.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, davidjg said:

Is it possible to get a work permit if you are a foreigner with a non O visa and are married to a foreigner with a Non B? Does anyone have first hand experience of this situation?

This was possible in Bangkok for Non-BOI companies years ago.  I don't know the current state of play, however.  If the Non O visa holder is offered a position at a company, could they either switch to new Non B, or as I think someone suggested, change the extension type?