Have lighter drug laws had any affect on expat visas/work permits?

Beeonlotus

In 2021, Thailand lightened many of the drug laws, including removing all mandated prison sentences for possession.  I'm curious: has this policy change had any effect on other areas of government?  For example, if I was convicted of possession of cocaine five years ago, would this be viewed more leniently when applying for work permit/visa?  Also, have there been any changes in cases of expats facing lighter repercussions for possession charges?  I've heard some stories of people being banned for 20 years for being caught with a gram of marijuana.

Thanks in advance.

• Confused 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Beeonlotus said:

In 2021, Thailand lightened many of the drug laws, including removing all mandated prison sentences for possession.  I'm curious: has this policy change had any effect on other areas of government?  For example, if I was convicted of possession of cocaine five years ago, would this be viewed more leniently when applying for work permit/visa?  Also, have there been any changes in cases of expats facing lighter repercussions for possession charges?  I've heard some stories of people being banned for 20 years for being caught with a gram of marijuana.

In June of last year marijuana was legalized. That is all that really happened. Now that is in flux, but I personally believe it will remain legal but more highly licensed. Other than that I have no idea what you are talking about. If you have been busted for coke, that remains just the same on your record here. Police checks for employment are conducted for the most part. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marin said:

In June of last year marijuana was legalized. That is all that really happened. Now that is in flux, but I personally believe it will remain legal but more highly licensed. Other than that I have no idea what you are talking about. If you have been busted for coke, that remains just the same on your record here. Police checks for employment are conducted for the most part. 

Kratom was legalized too, same class drug as marijuana before. 

• Thumbs Up 2

To clarify, I wasn't busted for coke possession.  It's a hypothetical example.  What I want to know is whether or not the Immigration / Labor Department's views towards drug possession have lightened when considering criminal records / in-country convictions.

• Confused 5
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, marin said:

That's true, but they also revised and lightened the laws re: drug offenses in 2021 prior to Marijuana's legalization.  Part of that was removing all mandatory prison sentences for possession, including hard drugs like heroine or meth.

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Beeonlotus said:

Part of that was removing all mandatory prison sentences for possession, including hard drugs like heroine or meth.

Say what? No that has not happened. 85% of prisoners in Thailand are in for drugs, the majority simple possession. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

39 minutes ago, marin said:

In June of last year marijuana was legalized.

No it was not. Read previous posts. Max 0.02% THC only (or it could be 0.2 or 0.0002% depending on what you read).

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No it was not. Read previous posts. Max 0.02% THC only (or it could be 0.2 or 0.0002% depending on what you read).

Oh, the old splitting hairs technique. Well I dont go with that as there are thousands of shops selling the stuff at much higher levels than that. Read again what I wrote. 

51 minutes ago, marin said:

but I personally believe it will remain legal but more highly licensed.

Not going to get into it with you, but......

Labour department comes not into play regarding drugs as with drugs you normaly get deported and banned from entry. Criminal records which include serving time are grounds for deportation, incuding if it is a conviction from abroad.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

No, they didn't do that for hard drugs.

They did.  You can read more here and here (for this last one, as far as I understand, the Narcotics Act replaced some of the sentencing for the Psychotropics Act).  A lot of the law websites haven't updated the information on their websites, which is one of the reasons why there's so much confusion about this.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Beeonlotus said:

They did.  You can read more here and here (for this last one, as far as I understand, the Narcotics Act replaced some of the sentencing for the Psychotropics Act).  A lot of the law websites haven't updated the information on their websites, which is one of the reasons why there's so much confusion about this.

None of your links says otherwise then what i told you. People get released from jail early or reduced sentences on special occasions (birthday king or queen) all the time. Nothing has changed on hard drugs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marin said:

2 hours ago, Beeonlotus said:

That's true, but they also revised and lightened the laws re: drug offenses in 2021 prior to Marijuana's legalization.  Part of that was removing all mandatory prison sentences for possession, including hard drugs like heroine or meth.

It is not quite clear to me what people mean when they say "legalize" and "legalization" with regard to marijuana in Thailand.

My understanding is that marijuana was previous classified as a "narcotic" and now is classified as a "specially controlled drug"

As KannikP mentioned, the new classification as specially controlled drug applies only to marijuana with a specific minimum content of THC (tetrahydrocannabiol). I do not know what classification, if any, under the Drugs Act, also know as the Medicines Act, applies to marijuana with a lower than the specified minimum content of THC.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Beeonlotus said:

For example, if I was convicted of possession of cocaine five years ago, would this be viewed more leniently when applying for work permit/visa? 

No - because the law was violated at the time the law was on the books. It's about law violation and as far as I know, laws that were violated that resulted in conviction are not expunged just because the penal code has been changed and is off the books.  

4 hours ago, Beeonlotus said:

"Up to 5 years" in this case means that they can not sentence a person to any prison time. 

This is the problem with stoner addicts - they live in a delusional reality where there's no foresight of consequences until consequences become reality. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

""Up to 5 years" in this case means that they can not sentence a person to any prison time".

No, that is not what it means!   

"Up to five years" means that they can give prison sentences of up to five years.

That's missing the point.  A judge can also sentence someone to no prison time and a fine, a day in prison, or completion of a drug rehabilitation program.  Therefore, prison time is not mandatory for possession crimes of even hard drugs.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, Beeonlotus said:

To clarify, I wasn't busted for coke possession.  It's a hypothetical example.  What I want to know is whether or not the Immigration / Labor Department's views towards drug possession have lightened when considering criminal records / in-country convictions.

Next: I don't want a work permit, i'm just asking for a friend