UK pension delay?

Anyone else experiencing UK monthly pension payment delays via Bahtnet? My last one should have been received 8th June. Not received still on 16th. I've had 2/3 day delays in the past but never this long. I've already sent a message to UK pensions via their website, but 10 day reply times indicated.

Bahtnet is a Thai internal system. You need to look beyond this since the problem may well be with the initial transfer from UK to Thailand.  How does the UK send the transfer to Bahtnet? I'm guessing SWIFT, but don't know.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Bahtnet is a Thai internal system. You need to look beyond this since the problem may well be with the initial transfer from UK to Thailand.  How does the UK send the transfer to Bahtnet? I'm guessing SWIFT, but don't know.

What is the use of a guess if you don't know @Foxx? UK state pension payments are handled by Citicorp and are indeed paid out locally via Bahtnet.

I agree with others above, you've most likely missed a 'proof of life certificate' O/P. Once you've made contact with the IPC they'll usually send you a duplicate via email. It'll soon be sorted.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. I agree the most likely answer is the 'proof of life' cert. I'm 71, and never had one, so didn't know it existed. I tried calling the phone number given but after a wait of 15 minutes while listening to some 'irk' strumming a guitar, and being told continuously to 'continue to hold', I gave up. Will try later in the day (UK time). 

• Like 1

Yes it usually is a lengthy delay but you will get through eventually.

They will ask you some security questions, reinstate you payments and send you by email a duplicate life certificate.

Good luck

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Calmer said:

Many thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. I agree the most likely answer is the 'proof of life' cert. I'm 71, and never had one, so didn't know it existed. I tried calling the phone number given but after a wait of 15 minutes while listening to some 'irk' strumming a guitar, and being told continuously to 'continue to hold', I gave up. Will try later in the day (UK time). 

They are every 2 years and get sent out in January. At 71 you should have had one before if here since you started claiming. There have been postal strikes on and off in the UK which would not help.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

They are every 2 years and get sent out in January. At 71 you should have had one before if here since you started claiming. There have been postal strikes on and off in the UK which would not help.

Good luck. 

Not correct. I had the same problem last payday and sussed that I hadn't received a life certificate for a long time. I phoned the Pensions Department and they confirmed that they hadn't received the Life Certificate. I told them that I had never received one and they took the suspension off my pension immediately and my pension arrived in my Thai bank after a wait of a further 10 days. They emailed a Life Certificate to me and I sent it back by EMS. I have tracked the letter and it has been received, so no worries for another year. I phoned the Pensions Dept. again and asked if, because I had a blank LIfe Certificate now stored in my email, maybe I should send that back to them every 12 months so avoiding Thai Post not delivering the next ones. They said that it would be no good doing that because, when received, they would see that there was no LC outstanding and not link it to my account. They said that LCs are sent out randomly at approx 18 month intervals, but it is totally random. I should therefore keep checking my mail and keep crossing my fingers that my pension keeps arriving. If it doesn't I shall just have to call them again.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

or elsewhere other than the UK (not issued to addressees inside the UK - not needed as UK Death Cert is automatically reported to UK agencies) 

Ah so if they think you are in the UK you won't receive one. In that case people should receive them in Thailand assuming correct contact details given

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

Not correct. I had the same problem last payday and sussed that I hadn't received a life certificate for a long time. I phoned the Pensions Department and they confirmed that they hadn't received the Life Certificate. I told them that I had never received one and they took the suspension off my pension immediately and my pension arrived in my Thai bank after a wait of a further 10 days. They emailed a Life Certificate to me and I sent it back by EMS. I have tracked the letter and it has been received, so no worries for another year. I phoned the Pensions Dept. again and asked if, because I had a blank LIfe Certificate now stored in my email, maybe I should send that back to them every 12 months so avoiding Thai Post not delivering the next ones. They said that it would be no good doing that because, when received, they would see that there was no LC outstanding and not link it to my account. They said that LCs are sent out randomly at approx 18 month intervals, but it is totally random. I should therefore keep checking my mail and keep crossing my fingers that my pension keeps arriving. If it doesn't I shall just have to call them again.

I did make a presumption what a friend told me was correct... he had been receiving his state pension for some time already, I was new. My first requirement came after I had been receiving pension for 18 months... seemed close enough. What they tell you may be some standard line, but a few fellow OAPs also said every couple of years. It appears a bit wooly to me to use snail mail, not so reliable at both ends I feel... and I wish I could go on-line and check/ achieve things 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

It sounds like the OP has a local "post" problem. 

If I were the OP, I would send an email now and again stating not had a LC for a while.

I did that last year, they sent me one to download and send back. I also send an email every year with a copy of my LC attached, with a weeee note...????

10 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I am 66 and have been receiving my state pension for less than 1 year. I was sent a proof of life cert a few months ago.

The problem maybe is, perhaps the last person to man-handle the envelope............:whistling:

Lost count of the Christmas cards that never arrived...????

9 hours ago, thoengthaied said:

What a bizarre system.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

The problem maybe is, perhaps the last person to man-handle the envelope............:whistling:

Lost count of the Christmas cards that never arrived...????

My bank sends out a credit card statement every month (they tell me). I receive between 3 and 5 each year. That's not a good % But they're pretty good at substituting other people's mail for the ones I should get. 

BTW, I noticed there are many 'professions' suggested for people to use to counter sign these 'life forms'. Which do most people use? I've tried bank managers, even police here with this kind of stuff before, and always ended up with expensive lawyers (2000 baht for a stamp and a tel. no.). Professions don't seem to like to do this kind of thing here. Haven't tried my dentist yet. Maybe ...

5 minutes ago, Calmer said:

BTW, I noticed there are many 'professions' suggested for people to use to counter sign these 'life forms'. Which do most people use? I've tried bank managers, even police here with this kind of stuff before, and always ended up with expensive lawyers (2000 baht for a stamp and a tel. no.). Professions don't seem to like to do this kind of thing here. Haven't tried my dentist yet. Maybe ...

One of the acceptable occupations for countersigning these forms are UK Civil Servants, including those who are retired, l suspect they are two a satang in Thailand, many of whom would be only too pleased to countersign the form without a fee.

There are also a number of retired bank managers living here who might also do the honours.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

One of the acceptable occupations for countersigning these forms are UK Civil Servants, including those who are retired, l suspect they are two a satang in Thailand, many of whom would be only too pleased to countersign the form without a fee.

There are also a number of retired bank managers living here who might also do the honours.

Good idea! Maybe I should advertise ????

On 6/16/2023 at 1:48 PM, anchadian said:

Have you returned your complete Life Certificate or didn't you receive one?

I would give the IPC a call on : +44 (0) 191 218 7777.

That's the reason! My Uk pension was stopped because I never received the Life certificate and then my company pension from Germany, the same month, was also stopped for the same reason. Ringing that number is an exercise in patience and a waste of money, use their email contact form (can take 10 days but they will send a form per email) My company pension from BMW was solved in one day.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soalbundy said:

use their email contact form (can take 10 days

I had a query recently and couldn't face the phone nonsense again, so I sent off an e-mail via the form and got a pleasant, helpful and precise reply 5 days later answering my question. Full marks for that part of the service, at least.