UK pension delay?

8 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I had a query recently and couldn't face the phone nonsense again, so I sent off an e-mail via the form and got a pleasant, helpful and precise reply 5 days later answering my question. Full marks for that part of the service, at least.

Yes, when you get an answer!  they say themselves the usual time for a reply is 10 days, might just as well send a letter, my German pension supplier takes a day to answer, my German company pension department answered the same day. Whatever, non of this would have been necessary if the Thai post office did their job properly, the life certificate letter from DWP eventually reached me, two months after they had sent it, the German life certificate that they had sent still hasn't arrived, not that it matters now.

On 6/16/2023 at 4:32 PM, Calmer said:

Many thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. I agree the most likely answer is the 'proof of life' cert. I'm 71, and never had one, so didn't know it existed. I tried calling the phone number given but after a wait of 15 minutes while listening to some 'irk' strumming a guitar, and being told continuously to 'continue to hold', I gave up. Will try later in the day (UK time). 

Gave up after 15 mins.......  the fastest time for me was 18 mins, then transferred to the  life cert department + wait = total time 27 mins.....

So say they sent out this paper in January as of today it still has not arrived.... !!   Look on Royal Mail website UK - Thailand via normal mail = 12 weeks.......  Via cargo ship to Singapore then overland to Thailand....   Even recorded Delivery Air Mail takes up to 10 days... these days there is 1x plane that take the mail  per week...

The officer that I spoke to send my the Forms yesterday to my email so printed it out and is ready to post on Monday.. pension restarted for another 16 weeks until the life cert arrives

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

I had a query recently and couldn't face the phone nonsense again, so I sent off an e-mail via the form and got a pleasant, helpful and precise reply 5 days later answering my question. Full marks for that part of the service, at least.

That is good to hear...... let us hope it lasts and doesn't get outsourced and become a disaster like National Savings did.

On 6/16/2023 at 10:32 AM, Calmer said:

Many thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. I agree the most likely answer is the 'proof of life' cert. I'm 71, and never had one, so didn't know it existed.

Exactly hence the question I just asked above this post

On 6/17/2023 at 6:59 PM, theoldgit said:

One of the acceptable occupations for countersigning these forms are UK Civil Servants, including those who are retired, l suspect they are two a satang in Thailand, many of whom would be only too pleased to countersign the form without a fee.

There are also a number of retired bank managers living here who might also do the honours.

But they need to have an 'official stamp', as well?!

22 hours ago, Chivas said:

Out if interest is that "Life certificate" sent out routinely to addresses within the UK ??

No as they know when you die then can cut the payments, life certs are for those abroad

Edited by proton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

But they need to have an 'official stamp', as well?!

No they don’t.

I’ve signed numerous life certificates over the years, and friends and former colleagues have signed mine, clearly being retired none of us have official stamps, it’s never been questioned.

Some countersigners include their NI number, but l doubt even this is needed.

On 6/17/2023 at 12:15 AM, Calmer said:

Addendum

Finally got through to the pensions office. It was the Proof of Life cert. Apparently, they sent me 2 to the correct address, but neither arrived here (Thailand Post strikes again). Payments reinstated and a copy of the blank form sent by email. 16 weeks to return it. Should just about get there in time ???? Once again, thanks for the heads up.

Due to the "randomness" of the LC's being sent out, I always send them an email every 18 months asking if they have sent one to me.

They always reply with a yes or no. If they say "Yes" I ask them not to suspend my payments as I did not receive it. They always send a blank via email and confirm that the 16 weeks start from date of email.

On 6/17/2023 at 6:41 PM, Calmer said:

BTW, I noticed there are many 'professions' suggested for people to use to counter sign these 'life forms'. Which do most people use? I've tried bank managers, even police here with this kind of stuff before, and always ended up with expensive lawyers (2000 baht for a stamp and a tel. no.). Professions don't seem to like to do this kind of thing here. Haven't tried my dentist yet. Maybe ...

A local doctor did mine. He charged 100 Baht.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:48 PM, anchadian said:

Have you returned your complete Life Certificate or didn't you receive one?

I would give the IPC a call on : +44 (0) 191 218 7777.

I have not received my pension since May. I emailed them on their Any Changes to Circumstances website and received a reply two days later informing me that they had not received my Proof of Life form. The last one I received was in 2020. They enclosed a PDF of the form, which I've returned. I'll just have to wait and see. I bet the problem of the op is the Proof of Life form. 

On 6/16/2023 at 1:48 PM, anchadian said:

Have you returned your complete Life Certificate or didn't you receive one?

I would give the IPC a call on : +44 (0) 191 218 7777.

Banks won't witness the form now. Our lawyer did both my my wife's and mine for Bt500. Sent by Thai registered mail Bt275.

Had same years ago, knew nothing of life certificates or living in Thailand with uk pension, reinstated pension and had to pay back 3 years overpayments,when the bill came they could tell me what flight I left uk on big brother is watching.

It is slightly expensive but I send my proof of life certificate via Thaipost  with tracking number. The mail goes to a central sorting address in the UK and  it is then farmed out to the appropriate department. Post has gone astray in the sorting office so when it is delivered there I screenshot the delivered notice which shows who signed for it.

As mentioned by others, it is distinctly possible we are talking Life certificate. if you have moved address in recent years, then likely it was never forwarded. It is worth mentioning from a general point of interest the post from the UK to Thailand can take six weeks if not sent registered or any other method that might indicate importance of its contents.

The due date of 8th and still not received by 16th, does seem not to be a delay. I have been receiving my UK pension for 13 years and the greatest delay has been three days, apart from Saturdays and Sundays, when there is either or both days in Thailand and UK having public holidays, sometimes at the same time.

One more point: For the first few years my pension was always paid on a Monday. and for the last four years or so, now on a Tuesday. arriving variously between 08.50 and 11.30

On 6/16/2023 at 1:47 PM, Foxx said:

Bahtnet is a Thai internal system. You need to look beyond this since the problem may well be with the initial transfer from UK to Thailand.  How does the UK send the transfer to Bahtnet? I'm guessing SWIFT, but don't know.

UK pensions come via citibank in the US.

I have received mine with no delays here in Thailand. So yes, have you completed your proof of life lately

On 6/16/2023 at 2:42 PM, Moonlover said:

What is the use of a guess if you don't know @Foxx? UK state pension payments are handled by Citicorp and are indeed paid out locally via Bahtnet.

I agree with others above, you've most likely missed a 'proof of life certificate' O/P. Once you've made contact with the IPC they'll usually send you a duplicate via email. It'll soon be sorted.

My last UK state pension did not arrive 2 weeks ago.

Upon contacting the international pension centre, they told me it was stopped because I hadn't returned the life certificate sent in February.

I never received it at my home address here in Thailand.

It was all sorted out on the phone with a email sent to me enclosing the life certificate.

My payment resumed a week later than it should have.

I airmailed the life certificate back a couple of days after I got it as I needed the witness statement signed.

Ironically the letter saying my payment was going to be stopped arrived a few days after my phone call to IPC, with another life certificate form attached.

It took nearly 6 weeks to arrive here.

4 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

My last UK state pension did not arrive 2 weeks ago.

Upon contacting the international pension centre, they told me it was stopped because I hadn't returned the life certificate sent in February.

I never received it at my home address here in Thailand.

It was all sorted out on the phone with a email sent to me enclosing the life certificate.

My payment resumed a week later than it should have.

I airmailed the life certificate back a couple of days after I got it as I needed the witness statement signed.

Ironically the letter saying my payment was going to be stopped arrived a few days after my phone call to IPC, with another life certificate form attached.

It took nearly 6 weeks to arrive here.

Good to hear that it was sorted quickly and efficiently for you. ????There have been similar reports of good service from them in the past.

On 6/16/2023 at 5:37 PM, redwood1 said:

Is not 71 a little young to be checking who is dead....

I've been receiving life certificates since I was around 45. I started to draw my military pension when I left at 40 years of age having served 22 years. 2 years later I went to work overseas and have been doing so for much of the time since then.

It ain't how old you are that counts, it's where you are.

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Indeed, and as the local police are supposed to inform the relevant embassy of the death of one of their country nationals, and in turn the embassy are supposed to inform the relevant departments in the UK, it’s indicative of how bizarre the whole system is.

Meanwhile those who “cheat the system” have nothing to worry about.

If the British embassy inform the 'relevant departments' in the UK of someone's death, there sould be no need for life certificates. So I suspect that there's a flaw in your logic.

On 6/17/2023 at 6:41 PM, Calmer said:

BTW, I noticed there are many 'professions' suggested for people to use to counter sign these 'life forms'. Which do most people use? I've tried bank managers, even police here with this kind of stuff before, and always ended up with expensive lawyers (2000 baht for a stamp and a tel. no.). Professions don't seem to like to do this kind of thing here. Haven't tried my dentist yet. Maybe ...

Our Proof off Life forms coming from the Netherlands ,Sometimes twice in a year, Have to be Checked and Passport showing  and Thai ID for Lady DiggerFor the Social Security number Signed and stamped at the Social Security Office in our City The Dutch Government has an agreement with the Thai SSO..      It's Free cost Zero.

30 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If the British embassy inform the 'relevant departments' in the UK of someone's death, there sould be no need for life certificates. So I suspect that there's a flaw in your logic.

No there is no flaw in my logic, my post was describing what should happen, that’s why I advised that the local police are supposed to advise the relevant embassy, who in turn are supposed to advise the relevant department.
If one or more agency doesn’t process the relevant information as per their own processes that’s not a flaw in my logic.