Renewing from EU/UK red passport to new UK black passport

I hope this is the correct area to post this - if not, admin, please move to the correct forum.

I have a query about my red EU/UK passport. 

In 2014, I was in the UK and renewed my passport on 23 July 2014 at the Durham passport office in person.

It was about 10 months before it should have expired and the kind lady added the extra months to my new passport. This made the new expiry date 23 April 2025.  See photos. 

I recently read somewhere (perhaps on here) that since the UK left the EU, new black passports are being issued strictly to the 10 year rule, which seems to mean that my current red passport should now expire on 22 July 2024 and I lose the extra 10 months given in 2014.

Could anyone please

1. Confirm this is correct
  2. If so, is the date I quoted above correct?
  3. What happens if I just wait until April 2025?  Any penalties or other consequences?
  4. If so, what is the lead time for the new UK black passport to be issued?
  5. If I need to renew next July, I was thinking of applying to VFS about January or February to be sure of receiving it in good time.  Is this too early and I could wait a month or so?  And if too early, would I ‘lose’ any unused time?

I have not yet looked into the renewal process in great detail, but I think I have to renew at VFS at Trendy Building.  I am happy to do it myself, there seems no need for an agent really.

Could any kind soul who has recently gone through the process please pass on what the procedure is and any tips to ease the process, lead times etc?  And what is the current cost for a standard new UK passport?

Many thanks for any advice.

Pixelised passport page.jpg

Red passport cover.jpg

Your new black passport will be valid for 10 years from the date it is issued, irrespective of when your current burgundy passport expires.

Renewing is easy via HMPO/VFS in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  How long it takes depends on the efficient of HMPO in Liverpool!   You retain your old passport while the renewal processing is taking place, but only for ID purposes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, howerde said:

You are correct the additional time that the UK added to your passport does not count if you are entering the EU (so valid only 10 years from issue) this does not apply to Thailand you passport is valid til expiry date, and i think this applies to all other countries, but better check countries,

i sent mine off for renewal 5 weeks ago from Bangkok, it is a simple process, was told would take 11 weeks, just follow the link

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

The cost gbp 127.51 that includes courier fee 

That's useful to know about Thailand.  

I have no expectation to visit the UK before the expiry date, now my mother died a few years ago  (I used to visit her and other family annually until then), so that makes life easier.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Your new black passport will be valid for 10 years from the date it is issued, irrespective of when your current burgundy passport expires.

Renewing is easy via HMPO/VFS in Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  How long it takes depends on the efficient of HMPO in Liverpool!   You retain your old passport while the renewal processing is taking place, but only for ID purposes.

Now I've read the posts above, I don't see the need to get a new black passport until the burgundy one expires in July 2025, especially as I don't expect to visit the UK again before then.  

Yes, I know I retain the old passport then take both to Immi to have the visa transferred when the new one arrives.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, proton said:

I thought the new ones were blue?

I think they are such a dark blue that they appear pretty well black, BICBW.  And I've seen them referred to as black elsewhere a few times so went along with that.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You retain your old passport while the renewal processing is taking place, but only for ID purposes.

Wonder what happens if your renewal goes beyond the validity on your old passport for reasons outside your control, i.e. old passport dead, new not arrived yet even though you did apply with plenty of time.

38 minutes ago, howerde said:

You are correct the additional time that the UK added to your passport does not count if you are entering the EU (so valid only 10 years from issue) this does not apply to Thailand you passport is valid til expiry date, and i think this applies to all other countries, but better check countries,

i sent mine off for renewal 5 weeks ago from Bangkok, it is a simple process, was told would take 11 weeks, just follow the link

Thanks.  You are spot on.  I wonder why the odd extra penny?

Passport cost.JPG

Edited by Irrumator
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The new passports are dark blue (I got mine earlier this year) not black. 

There has been this persistent "urban myth" that back in pre-EU days UK passports were once black but that's also not the case.

There was a time when the passports were a dark navy blue that actually darkened further with age to where they looked almost black but as the Passport Office themselved stated in response to enquiries, the UK did not issue black passports.

Here's a photo of my passport taken outdoors in natural light. I'll admit that in dim indoor light it looks darker but even so, it's clearly dark blue rather than black.

IMG_20230619_100030.jpg

I still have my old UK dark blue passport from the mid-60s.

I had read in a few places recently that the new ones were so dark blue that they appeared black.
That photo has a LOT of extra light on it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Irrumator said:

That photo has a LOT of extra light on it.  

I'm not sure what you mean by that - it was a straightforward shot taken with my phone on normal settings, in outdoor light (without flash). Even with indoor light, it's still clearly only dark blue.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

1 hour ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that - it was a straightforward shot taken with my phone on normal settings, in outdoor light (without flash). Even with indoor light, it's still clearly only dark blue.

Well, the photo is VERY bright with a lot of reflection.  And to be fair, I haven't actually ever seen one of the new UK passports so far.  I just went by the description of others in various websites and forums like Faceache.

Anyway, I don't give a toss for the actual shade, just that I get one without fuss.  

Edited by Irrumator

4 hours ago, howerde said:

Which company did you use and did you pay in cash (thb), Thai bank credit or debit card or an offshore bank credit or debit card.

The reason I ask, is that I live about half way between Bangkok and Chiang Mai and I have 1 year left on my passport.

I can pay in cash or with a KBank debit card but I don't have any UK bank cards.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Which company did you use and did you pay in cash (thb), Thai bank credit or debit card or an offshore bank credit or debit card.

The reason I ask, is that I live about half way between Bangkok and Chiang Mai and I have 1 year left on my passport.

I can pay in cash or with a KBank debit card but I don't have any UK bank cards.

If applying in person you can't use cash. You don't need a UK card, they accept Thai credit and debit cards, you just fill out the details and submit with your application. Your card will be charged once the submission has made its way to the UK.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190989/OS_Payment__Instruction_07.13.pdf

I did it recently and they said 11 weeks. Finally I think it was about eight and a half weeks.

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

See my photo above.  It's as black as it can be.  

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Hi I payed with a UK debit card, you fill a form in and take it to trendy with your application and photos, . the money is deducted in the UK not  Bangkok, in my case 2 days after the form was delivered  i believe  if you use an agent they use their card, and you pay them

Edited by howerde
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, howerde said:

Hi I payed with a UK debit card, you fill a form in and take it to trendy with your application and photos, . the money is deducted in the UK not  Bangkok, in my case 2 days after the form was delivered  i believe  if you use an agent they use their card, and you pay them

Thank you for the information.

I think I will have to ask my son in the UK, perhaps my friend or her daughter for their card details but I still have another year before my passport expires.

I am 79 and I can walk about 25 metres before I need to stop, sit, relax and breathe slowly for a few moments, then it is sort of rinse and repeat again.

I know that VFS has an office at the trendy office building in Bangkok which is open 5 days a week, and another in Chiang Mai which is not open every day.

We live about half way between the two.

My wife has family in Bangkok if we need to stay overnight, (she is my driver now) but she may want to leave early and do the round trip in one day.

I have no agent and have no idea where to find one.

Edited by billd766
added extra text