Renewing from EU/UK red passport to new UK black passport

11 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Do you know if non-guests can use the Hyatt Regency parking facilities?

Yes, they can, it is not free, though, and you may have to tell security that you're using the hotel facilities.  It may make you feel better if you bought a coffee in the hotel lobby which may also get you a stamp on the ticket.

I managed to confirm with Kamphaeng Phet Immigration yesterday, that with 8 months left on my passport that I will get my marriage extension renewed. But only until June 16 2024 which is the expiry date.

I need a new passport by then, so I can do that in the new year.

YMMV

• Thumbs Up 1

Further to all the above, somewhat drifted off-topic and not really up to date, that since the new UK passports started being issued, the UK was being much stricter on the length of time they could be issued ie. a 10 year passport was for 10 years.  

Looking at my photo attached, I renewed my still current red EU British passport on 23rd July 2014. As there were a good few months left on the previous passport, the clerk added them to this current one, but I now wonder if they won't count any longer and this red one will end on 22 July 2024 and not 23 April 2025 as is on the current passport.

Am I correct in thinking this? If so, when would be the best time to renew my passport for a new dark blue/black UK passport? Some time around December this year or January next year? And what is the current processing time for a new UK passport? I have been reading 11 weeks or thereabouts.

Passport cut for expat group.jpg

Edited by Irrumator

4 minutes ago, Irrumator said:

Further to all the above, somewhat drifted off-topic and not really up to date, that since the new UK passports started being issued, the UK was being much stricter on the length of time they could be issued ie. a 10 year passport was for 10 years.  

Looking at my photo attached, I renewed my still current red EU British passport on 23rd July 2014. As there were a good few months left on the previous passport, the clerk added them to this current one, but I now wonder if they won't count any longer and this red one will end on 22 July 2024 and not 23 April 2025 as is on the current passport.

Am I correct in thinking this? If so, when would be the best time to renew my passport for a new dark blue/black UK passport? Some time around December this year or January next year? And what is the current processing time for a new UK passport? I have been reading 11 weeks or thereabouts.

The time addition has gone, I had years left on mine, I got exactly 10 years from the date they issued it...????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

The time addition has gone, I had years left on mine, I got exactly 10 years from the date they issued it...????

Strange, I'm being told exactly the opposite on Faceache ...

So you're saying that I need to renew my passport by 22nd July 2024, as I was trying to clarify above?

Edited by Irrumator

3 minutes ago, Irrumator said:

So you're saying that I need to renew my passport by 22nd July 2024, as I was trying to clarify above?

No, perhaps I have got the wrong end of the stick.........????

Your passport expires on the date in it, April 2025.

With the old passport rules, if you renewed it early, they would add, I think, up to 9 months on to the 10 years.

That has gone, you now get exactly 10 years even if you have 5 years left on your old passport.

So you have plenty of time to play with......????

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Irrumator said:

Your passport is valid until the expiry date, including the extra months. However, the Schengen area (and possibly other countries, but the EU is the only place I'm aware of), will only accept it for the first 10 years. If you aren't traveling to or through a Schengen country, it doesn't matter, and you can use it until 2025. If you need it for the EU, it effectively expires in July 2014.

This has only become an issue since Brexit. Any new passports issued will only be for 10 years, and there won't be any extra months added in future. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Irrumator said:

Transam is spot on, the unexpired period on a UK passport is no longer added on to a renewed passport, that concession ended in September 2018.

Your current passport is still valid until it’s expiry date, except for entry to countries that have a rule that a passport must be no more than ten years old when the holder leaves the jurisdiction, the Schengen Area is one of those jurisdictions.

It wasn’t an issue when the UK was a member of the EU, but it’s something that became an issue once we left, we were warned that as third country nationals we no longer benefited from the concession, it would seem the benefits outweighed the inconvenience.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, transam said:

No, perhaps I have got the wrong end of the stick.........????

Your passport expires on the date in it, April 2025.

With the old passport rules, if you renewed it early, they would add, I think, up to 9 months on to the 10 years.

That has gone, you now get exactly 10 years even if you have 5 years left on your old passport.

So you have plenty of time to play with......????

Aha, that's more like it!  

One problem is that my visa expires on the 18th July each year but my passport expires in April 2025 so I'd only get a 9 month extension on my visa in July 2024.

What to do?  I think it's going to be better to apply for a new passport in about January next year, get the visa transferred when the p/port comes back and so I have a 'clean' passport when next July comes.  Thoughts, anyone?

Edited by Irrumator

1 minute ago, Irrumator said:

One problem is that my visa expires on the 18th July each year but my passport expires in April 2025 so I'd only get a 9 month extension on my visa in 2024.

What to do?  I think it's going to be better to apply for a new passport in about January next year, get the visa transferred when the p/port comes back and so I have a 'clean' passport when next July comes.  Thoughts?

Sounds good, just confirm with moderator Brit Tim......????

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Irrumator said:

One problem is that my visa expires on the 18th July each year but my passport expires in April 2025 so I'd only get a 9 month extension on my visa in July 2024.

What to do?  I think it's going to be better to apply for a new passport in about January next year, get the visa transferred when the p/port comes back and so I have a 'clean' passport when next July comes.  Thoughts, anyone?

Turnaround is much less now, mine was 3½ weeks recently. You could probably apply around May.

If you did keep the old passport beyond next July it's fine for everything out here, only restriction is no travel or transit allowed through an EU country. 

• Like 1