Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Renewing from EU/UK red passport to new UK black passport

43 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Relax...Thai debit cards are perfectly acceptable.

The last time (9 years ago) before VFS was around I did the replacement through Hong Kong and I had to use my friends card.

Now you tell me one thing about paying for the passport and another poster tells me something different.

Not hat it matters overmuch at this point, as I still have a year to go.

18 minutes ago, howerde said:

Hi sorry to hear about the health issue, but remember you do not have to attend in person, your wife/friend/agent can do it for you, there are a number of agents, one i can recommend is Thai Visa Express i have used them in the past for visas, keyvisa in Pattaya come up a few times as a great service, if you use an agent then you can post the stuff to them, of course you will need to get the photos, but you have plenty of time to look at options

Thank you for that information.

I will contact them this week.

12 hours ago, howerde said:

Hi sorry to hear about the health issue, but remember you do not have to attend in person, your wife/friend/agent can do it for you, there are a number of agents, one i can recommend is Thai Visa Express i have used them in the past for visas, keyvisa in Pattaya come up a few times as a great service, if you use an agent then you can post the stuff to them, of course you will need to get the photos, but you have plenty of time to look at options

I'd agree with Thai Visa CENTER in Bang Na, but they shocked me recently by increasing their retirement visa extension from 14,000 baht to 20,000 baht, getting on for a 50% increase.  Not good at all.  

However, they are reliable and get the job done.

They are on Line (just do a search) and there would be no need to visit Bangkok if you post your passport EMS.

There's also a place in Pattaya, but that might be too far for you to travel.

I'm in Bangkok, so if you need any further assistance, let me know on Messenger.  

Edited by Irrumator

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Not hat it matters overmuch at this point, as I still have a year to go.

I'd start preparing now, if I were you.  It takes 11 weeks plus all the postage and faffing about so you might want to think of 16 weeks total.  Start in about 6 months time.

Don't forget you'll need to go to your local Immi office to have the visa transferred to the new passport and it would not be good to find your old passport (and hence visa) had expired in the meantime.

Hope your health is improving.  I owe you a return message, I just remembered! 

Edited by Irrumator
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Irrumator said:

I'd agree with Thai Visa CENTER in Bang Na, but they shocked me recently by increasing their retirement visa extension from 14,000 baht to 20,000 baht, getting on for a 50% increase.  Not good at all.  

However, they are reliable and get the job done.

They are on Line (just do a search) and there would be no need to visit Bangkok if you post your passport EMS.

There's also a place in Pattaya, but that might be too far for you to travel.

I'm in Bangkok, so if you need any further assistance, let me know on Messenger.  

I recommended Thai Visa Express in Chonburi  NOT  Thai Visa Center totally different company

Edited by howerde
missing text

21 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The new passports are dark blue (I got mine earlier this year) not black. 

There has been this persistent "urban myth" that back in pre-EU days UK passports were once black but that's also not the case.

There was a time when the passports were a dark navy blue that actually darkened further with age to where they looked almost black but as the Passport Office themselved stated in response to enquiries, the UK did not issue black passports.

Here's a photo of my passport taken outdoors in natural light. I'll admit that in dim indoor light it looks darker but even so, it's clearly dark blue rather than black.

IMG_20230619_100030.jpg

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My very black UK passport...

UK_black_passport.jpg

I prefer the blue one. Is there a choice?

Just got started thinking about my PP renewal. Is it not possible to send the passport to the UK and a trusted do it for ya?

11 minutes ago, howerde said:

I recommended Thai Visa Express in Chonburi  NOT  Thai Visa Center totally different company

I know, but I felt Thai Visa Express were very expensive at the time I enquired, which was some years ago. 
Having said that, recently Thai Visa Center have whacked their prices up substantially.

I guess it's just a case of shopping around agencies now.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I prefer the blue one. Is there a choice?

Just got started thinking about my PP renewal. Is it not possible to send the passport to the UK and a trusted do it for ya?

I think it's OK to have a nominee do it for you - wife etc.  I think there's a section on the application form where you name the nominee who does it on your behalf, but personally, I'd do it myself.

I know it's not always easy to go yourself if you live in Nakhon Nowhere so you may have little choice unless you want a few days travelling and staying in a cheap hotel while you wait - AND then have a 15 hour trip back home.

Edited by Irrumator
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2023 at 9:36 AM, proton said:

I thought the new ones were blue?

It's blue :biggrin: by official rule.

Good for testing color blindness.

If you Google for pictures you can easily get puzzled.

Sometimes it looks a bit of blue but mostly black.

Too much for most graphic cards :cheesy:

Made in Poland BTW.

100% blue isn't it:

#2e364f Hex Color Code (errors excepted)

image.png.8525d6f30832a7215ff5836db0414bce.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 10:04 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

Here's a photo of my passport taken outdoors in natural light.

Something very wrong with your camera (white balance).

https://www.google.com/search?q=british+passport+2023

(select images)

Screenshot from official government passport site:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office

image.png.733d2a6c9ffded6a20400fda985277b1.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, Irrumator said:

I'd start preparing now, if I were you.  It takes 11 weeks plus all the postage and faffing about so you might want to think of 16 weeks total.  Start in about 6 months time.

Don't forget you'll need to go to your local Immi office to have the visa transferred to the new passport and it would not be good to find your old passport (and hence visa) had expired in the meantime.

Hope your health is improving.  I owe you a return message, I just remembered! 

Thank you. 

My passport is valid until 24th June 2024, and my marriage extension is due for renewal in October 2023.

My plan is to get the extension done which will grant me to 24th June 2024 and when the 30 days waiting is completed in November 2023, I will apply for a replacement passport, and TBH I really don't care what colour it comes in.

That should give me a 7 month time window to work with.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Something very wrong with your camera (white balance).

https://www.google.com/search?q=british+passport+2023

(select images)

Screenshot from official government passport site:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office

image.png.733d2a6c9ffded6a20400fda985277b1.png

The fact that this ridiculous government call it "blue" makes it even more obvious that it's actually black.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The fact that this ridiculous government call it "blue" makes it even more obvious that it's actually black.

Does it really make any difference what colour it is?

After all, it is simply a legal document accepted by most if not all countries worldwide.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Does it really make any difference what colour it is?

After all, it is simply a legal document accepted by most if not all countries worldwide.

It makes no difference whatsoever, except, apparently, to the UK government who seem think we should be delighted at getting a "blue" (black) passport instead of a burgundy one.  What does make a difference is that the new passport is considerably more restrictive than the previous EU one.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

If applying in person you can't use cash. You don't need a UK card, they accept Thai credit and debit cards, you just fill out the details and submit with your application. Your card will be charged once the submission has made its way to the UK.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/190989/OS_Payment__Instruction_07.13.pdf

I did it recently and they said 11 weeks. Finally I think it was about eight and a half weeks.

They take the money from the card in the UK, if the card gets knocked there, you have problem...

37 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It makes no difference whatsoever, except, apparently, to the UK government who seem think we should be delighted at getting a "blue" (black) passport instead of a burgundy one.  What does make a difference is that the new passport is considerably more restrictive than the previous EU one.

More restrictive than the EU passport in which way?

2 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

Life is too short to worry what colour your passport is, you could be better spending your time finding a cure for all known diseases. ????????.????

I completely agree.  I'm not even sure why it was brought up in this thread, let alone why the UK government made such a big deal over it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The ability to travel freely throughout the EU without border restrictions.  Not to mention the right to live and work in the EU.

Which will affect about what % of the UK population?

If it affected the ability to travel anywhere in the world, then I would be concerned.

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

It would affect 100% of those who previously enjoyed the benefits of free movement up until the decision of a minority of the UK population to give up those rights.

Whilst it doesn’t prevent UK Nationals travelling to the EU it makes it far more cumbersome, as it does for our spouses.

We are where we are with Brexit, and we’ll have to live with it.

But for the people living in the U.K. , it was the millions of E.U citizens , (6-10 million ) going to live in the U.K that caused them to want to leave the E.U , so it benefitted the people who live in the UK and caused problems for Brits who wanted to emigrate  to Europe 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

But for the people living in the U.K. , it was the millions of E.U citizens , (6-10 million ) going to live in the U.K that caused them to want to leave the E.U , so it benefitted the people who live in the UK and caused problems for Brits who wanted to emigrate  to Europe 

This is not true,  the figures are nothing like you state. i would like to see your source,  There were just about as many immigrants from around the world, the latest figures show that only 3.4 million Europeans live in the UK and that includes dual nationals

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/eu-migration-to-and-from-the-uk/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, howerde said:

This is not true,  the figures are nothing like you state. i would like to see your source,  There were just about as many immigrants from around the world, the latest figures show that only 3.4 million Europeans live in the UK and that includes dual nationals

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/eu-migration-to-and-from-the-uk/

6 million E.U Nationals applied to stay in the U.K on long term visas after the Brexit vote and also many retuned back to the E.U after the vote , because they hadn't been paying tax in the U.K and having a UK tax record was required to apply for a long term UK visa 

• Like 2