A ray of hope for Aussie mum in a coma after life-threatening tumble in Thailand (video)

webfact

7 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

ps...I fell heavily a couple of months back on a sloping wet ffootpath.My head missed a concrete window sill by centimetres. 

There for the grace of God go I. 

I broke my neck in a pool here and somehow survived with no issues, so I can say the same. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Without specific details, and just watching the vid, I'm not sure the insurers (as much as I dispose them) is wrong for not paying.

Hotel/bar tab, and her falling where there obviously isn't an exit, along with no attempt to break her fall, outstretch hands to cushion the impact, does lead to assuming she had more than few.

May she have a speedy recovery and get back to the family.  Good Luck.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lots of complaints about this insurance company here…

lots of accusations of calling the company ‘scammers’… I’m inclined to agree. 

https://www.comparetravelinsurance.com.au/travel-insurance-companies/cover-more

There was a radio station in Hartford CT with call sign WTIC. Hartford was/is the insurance capitol of the US. Local joke about the radio station’s bill board was “ Watch Travellers Ignore Claims”. That goes back fifty years and international. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, kennw said:

Give news of the insurers denial as much publicity as possible in the hope that shameing them may get TAT involved. The scumbags will do anything to avoid paying. 

Don't forget that All Insurance companies are a Business .

They are there to Make money Not to help you.

I had a car insurance ones, RACQ Australia.  My then Lady Totalled the near new car,

They paid out in full but wouldn't reinsure my next New car.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I broke my neck in a pool here and somehow survived with no issues, so I can say the same. 

I literally busted my ass three weeks ago falling in the shower, far shorter distance. Doesn’t take much.

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

My insurer will deny claim too if Iam pissed.

Should I start shaming them for upholding their policy terms and conditions I agreed to ?

Bit disingenuous considering we have no choice to accept their terms and conditions. And don't come back with, well choose another insurer, they are all pretty much the same.  

• Thanks 1

I think she is hideously unlucky that she had a bad accident in these circumstances however if she was heavily intoxicated, as against a few drinks, the insurance company has a point. Covermore actually has a good reputation in Australia and I have personal experience of a friend having a claim in Thailand as it happens and they were nothing but helpful and paid up. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Bit disingenuous considering we have no choice to accept their terms and conditions. And don't come back with, well choose another insurer, they are all pretty much the same.  

Its was the person I qouted that reckons the insurance company should be named and shamed for upholding the terms and conditions of their policy.

Go have a cry to him.

The insurance companies can say anything have you read the clauses they can turn around and say that she was doing something dangerous and she shouldn't have been one meter high on a balcony with no railing anyway she should be okay it's just a blunt head injury to the skull at least she wasn't in the motorcycle accident

• Confused 1

I had a look at the T&Cs (Product Disclosure Statement) on their website and under exclusions it states:

claims involving, arising from or related to Your
impairment due to You drinking too much alcohol:
a) which is evidenced by the results of a blood test
which show that Your blood alcohol concentration
level is 0.19% or above. (The level of alcohol in Your
blood is called blood alcohol concentration (BAC). As
a point of reference, a BAC of 0.19% is almost four
times the legal driving BAC limit range in Australia
which is currently 0.05%); or
b) taking into account the following, where available:
(i) the report of a medical practitioner or forensic
expert;
(ii) the witness report of a third party;
(iii) Your own admission; or
(iv) the description of events You described to Us or
the treating medical professional (e.g. paramedic,
nurse, doctor) as documented in their records.

Edited by pj123
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I think companies selling holiday insurance should be forced to cover all incidents arising from normal holiday activities. The details of the contract would be irrelevant as all western countries have 'fit for purpose' laws.

Having a few drinks and walking around are absolutely the most basic of normal holiday activities.

She had more than a few drinks if the T&C's as posted above are to go by.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'd say there was a lack of good faith

That is a reasonable claim to make, but there is no such doctrine in law for the insurance company to match the requirements placed on the insuree.

12 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

That is a reasonable claim to make, but there is no such doctrine in law for the insurance company to match the requirements placed on the insuree.

You may be right. Having said that, I'll bet you find the mission statements of most companies are at variance with what they actually do.

I haven't bought travel insurance for about 20 years. IIRC it cost me one Bangkok to Chiang Mai airfare when my flight from Melbourne was delayed by a day. IMO I would have shelled out many multiples of that cost if I had bought insurance every time I traveled.

29 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would have shelled out many multiples of that cost if I had bought insurance every time I traveled.

I find that travel insurance, which when it is restricted to health issues, is ridiculously cheap. So I have always figured they will have to be incredibly stingy towards any claimants.

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Should insurance companies pay for people who do something when drunk?

where does it say she was drunk?

the full report says she had consumed alcohol... does anyone know how much? did they do a test to see her blood alcohol level? insurance companies are scum buckets

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Unless the insurer has factual evidence Kylee was intoxicated, which begs the question about the confidentiality of patient data.

IMO another demonstration of what scumbags they are.

Policy holders give permission for insurers to access relevant medical information in connection with their claims so no confidentiality question is begged.   Your "scumbag " claim is ridiculous if she was well oiled.

14 hours ago, kennw said:

Give news of the insurers denial as much publicity as possible in the hope that shameing them may get TAT involved. The scumbags will do anything to avoid paying. 

TAT has nothing to do with medical claims in Thailand or shaming insurers.  You do know that she voided her policy with the consumption of alcohol, yes?    Insurers will do anything to avoid paying claims for circumstances that aren't covered by the policy, as in this woman's situation.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hard to see what use insurance is anymore, if they'll refuse a claim like that.

Is it so hard to see why a "consumption of alcohol" exclusion in her policy applied as a result of this woman's consumption of alcohol?   Or do you just think that insurance companies are charitable institution that should cough up for situations that aren't covered by any policies?

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

Don't forget that All Insurance companies are a Business .

They are there to Make money Not to help you.

I had a car insurance ones, RACQ Australia.  My then Lady Totalled the near new car,

They paid out in full but wouldn't reinsure my next New car.

That's interesting thank you. I know that in the UK there is a shared insurer's database. Presumably, same would apply in Australia?  

Going further, are we confident that the insurance company would've coughed up if the lady hadn't consumed alcohol? Is it possible that they could argue that you have a duty to take reasonable care of yourself and that would include looking where you are walking?

• Sad 1