What type of Laptop do you use?

ravip

1 minute ago, Stocky said:

I have two aging Dells, a Precision M4800 and a Precision M3800. The 4800 is almost 10 years old and is used as my desktop, the 3800 is almost 9 years old and is the one I take travelling. A few years ago I switched out the HDDs for SSDs, I've certainly had my money's worth out of them, hopefully they'll last a few more years.

I have had 3 Dell laptops and 2 Dell servers, none of them ever died, they just became obsolete.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ravip said:

Yes, maybe I will try this. Changing the keyboard is simple, and yes... a ssd should give it a bit more pep!

Thank you.

Mine already had 6gb ram so I didn't upgrade it as it seemed sufficient for Windows-10.  If yours has only 4gb currently, probably worthwhile to upgrade that also.

Also, while it was open, I gave it a really good cleaning,  Lint really packed around the processor.

EDIT: Just realized you already said you have 8gb ram so no issue

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, grain said:

Infinix INBook X1 14 Inches Core i5 (8GB RAM - 512GB SSD) Currently on sale for ฿14,488.00 at PowerBuy or Shopee.

I bought a similar Infinix at Advice for my niece as a graduation gift a year ago.  No issues so far, seems a good machine though the manufacturer specializes in low-end phones and other devices 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dddave said:

Mine already had 6gb ram so I didn't upgrade it as it seemed sufficient for Windows-10.  If yours has only 4gb currently, probably worthwhile to upgrade that also.

Also, while it was open, I gave it a really good cleaning,  Lint really packed around the processor.

Mine already has 8GB and I used to run server software (dual boot) before. So the keyboard and an ssd might be ok for a start. Poor quality batteries are a risk - once I bought one off eBay and it started sparking and damaged my mother board too!

Now as I am not carrying it around, its connected to an UPS!

Back when I was a lad (Desktop support engineer), then Mac SE and Mac II. However come 1994/5 when the EU 'Elf & Safety regs came in for the workplace, then binned them as failed with lack of Tilt & Swivel on the monitor. 

So been a Microsoft, Unix and latterly Chrome user ever since.

In fact I had the original Dell Notebook for a while, (S/N = NB000001). First owner was Michael Dell. Unfortunately went to recycling heaven, might be worth a bob or two now.

Currently, HP i5 Pavilion 15 for general 'Tinternet, e-mail and App development or Unix boot, Dell i7 Laptop for a non-network digital recording studio, HP Chrome book for Torrenting, (using SneakerNet for added security for any downloads), Asus i5 mini PC for a multimedia NAS and TV system and a Dell i5 mini PC. Keeps me busy.

• Like 1

I have an ASUS Vivobook with an AMD Ryzen 7 processor and an OLED display. I only have 8mb of ram but I don't do a lot of heavy processing so it's not a big inconvenience. The display is great and I think I would have a hard time going back to an ordinary display. It cost me around 20,000.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

I have an ASUS Vivobook with an AMD Ryzen 7 processor and an OLED display. I only have 8mb of ram but I don't do a lot of heavy processing so it's not a big inconvenience. The display is great and I think I would have a hard time going back to an ordinary display. It cost me around 20,000.

How is the Ryzen processor compared to intel?

Heating up? Freezing? etc.

4 minutes ago, ravip said:

I have an ASUS mini with a Ryzen 7 and 32 Gb RAM and do some heavy app compilation work. It doesn't get hot but I do hear the fan run harder. I also have an Intel i9 9900K with 16 Gb RAM and a Noctua cpu fan. It doesn't get hot either.

Since the ASUS is a much less powerful machine if it were going to overheat I would have seen it. It has never frozen. Reliable AF.

Edited by ozimoron

Last one was HP, battery lasted 11 months, motherboard 2 years, junk. One before that Acer top of the range lasted 3 years. Latest one Mac book Air, battery lasts 18 hours and no problems after 18 months, incredible sound. Also have 8 year old Toshiba.

Edited by proton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I very much agree with above.

A good keyboard and monitor make life/work so much better. 

Unless you need super portability a mini computer with an external monitor (optional hotel TV when travelling) and external keyboard and mouse will always provide far better bang for the buck. A more powerful and capable computer with greater flexibility for less money.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Are you referring to the MacBook Air M1 Chip 13.3 inch 8GB / 256GB (Model: MGN63)?

What's the year of manufacture of this model?

(2020 or 2021 I've seen)

I have the 2020 13.3 inch model with 256GB storage and 8GB RAM with Retina display. Model number is Z124000BVTH/A. 

Here's a link to the Apple Store Thailand for the 13 inch M1 Macbook Air currently on offer directly from Apple: https://www.apple.com/th-en/shop/buy-mac/macbook-air/13-inch-m1

I'm only aware of the M1 Macbook Air being a 2020 model, but I think there are retina and non-retina versions with the MGN models being non-retina. Here's a link that may explain: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201862#:~:text=Find the serial number printed,page to find your model.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

Used/refurbished Lenovo Thinkpad X class. X and T class are military spec.

Best laptop I've owned.

Any recommendations for where to buy a used/refurbished  Lenovo Thinkpad?  Local (BKK/Pattaya) or online…????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

No, I've never had any problems. I did have an issue with Firefox crashing if too many video tabs were open but that was fixed in an update. This is my second AMD laptop and they've both worked flawlessly, although I don't play games so I don't need that much graphic power.

2 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

I have a HP 15'' that was used by Noah when planning to build his Ark.

I don't want to bin it, but its a race as to who or what looses its memory first.

Me or machine?:unsure:

Get it a mate.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Lenovo but I have had Dell and HP in the past. They are all good. As long as you minimize the bloatware you will be OK. You might as well move to Win 11 if you are upgrading anyway.

To really compare, you need a hardware spec but they will be pretty comparable. Try Open Office instead of Microsoft office to save some baht.

I would be looking at an I7 processor with 32 Gb RAM, a 500GB SSD and a 4Tb hard drive. That should have plenty of clout without getting crazy.

Regardless, as we travel a lot as expats.. a macbook air = great power (M1 M2) and over 16 hours battery.. wow.. cant beat that

• Like 1

If your machine has 8GB RAM it's probably more than adequate for what you need. I would get it fixed. I have three laptops, all with 4GB RAM dating from 2009 through to 2012. All work well enough for internet browsing, office functions and audio/visual. As already mentioned, a free download of Libre Office is lighter than Microsoft Office. Alternatively, on-line Google Docs are good enough for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

None since I moved all the action to my phone.

Strongly recommended.

And you haven't gone blind ! Couldn't handle movies or whatever on a phone ... unless it's one like the girls buy that's the size of a mini iPad ...

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Acer Aspire and have be for been for almost 20 years. I'm on my 3rd one now, bought here with Windows 11 installed. I began to have problems with the previous one, mainly overheating and shutting down. My new one. with SSD runs quickly smoothly and very quietly. It's a joy to use. It even has an illuminated keyboard.

Have had an Acer F 15 (23" diagonal screen) since 2015 with Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz, Windows 10. Purchased from IT City.

This year for extensive traveling added GPD Pocket 3 mini pc (8" diagonal touch screen) with Intel Core i7-1195G7, 1.4GHz max, 16GB LPDDR4x-3733. Windows 10. Purchased through Lazada from Chinese vendor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Lastly, why do Windows computers  have so many updates? 

Those updates are bandaids on bandaids to fix bugs and protect against hackers, for whom Windows is the number one target. A major PITA.

The last laptop I had with Windows on it, about ten years ago, got so badly infected by malware the shop I took it to advised me to throw it away. Unfixable.

Since I changed to a free Linux OS, I have never had any virus/malware problems. The target is too small.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TimBKK said:

Any recommendations for where to buy a used/refurbished  Lenovo Thinkpad?  Local (BKK/Pattaya) or online…????

Was in Fortune Town yesterday,  saw a couple up on the 3rd floor. Was after mini PC so didn't make a note of prices. Also a Lenovo repair centre there, so might be worth enquiring there as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Word, Excel and Powerpoint and web browsing that the o/p mentioned  run very nicely on latest Win11. I just bought a 5000THB mini desktop PC which is smaller than my laptop and comes with WIn11 Pro. Excellent performance and value for money. The latest Windows just gets better IMHO.

• Thanks 1