What type of Laptop do you use?

ravip

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Apple macs can be upgraded for about 7 or 8 years typically. I doubt that Windows will update longer on hardware older than that. Most people would update their computers more often than that. People with hardware older than that should probably look at ubuntu.

agreed... some mac models only 5 years. i have a laptop i5 that is 10 years old and still working well on windows 10 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2023 at 6:58 AM, Captain Monday said:

Then get the cheapest chromebook you can find. Work it like a circus chimp treating it like it like crap and in 2 or 3 years when it dies get a new one.

Other than Mac , all else crap for you?

I offer you my sincere condolences...

I'm using a (10 year old) MacBook Pro which cost me the same as my previous laptop (Alienware) & the one before that (an 18" HP Media thing that doubled as a TV) - Neither of which lasted longer than 18 months. 

However, I am noticing that the screen is getting dimmer at the corners & am obviously have a problem between the Graphics card & Windows (use BootCamp with Win10) as it refuses to boot if I don't disable it (MacOS works fine though)...  So am thinking of having a change. 

I spent my career in IT Dev/Architecture so am used to buying the most expensive/powerful machine that would enable me to run a bunch of VM Servers/Clients but now I'm retired I only use it for Internet Browsing & Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Visio (still help mates out putting presentations/pitches together).

So after very cursory research, I came up with this

https://www.asus.com/th/laptops/for-home/vivobook/asus-vivobook-14-s413/

S413EA-EB341WS : INDIE BLACK

Operating System: Windows 11 Home
CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4 Processor
RAM: 8GB DDR4 on board
Storage: 512GB SSD
Display: 14.0-inch FHD Anti-glare display
Keyboard: Backlit Chiclet Keyboard
Office: Office Home and Student 2021
price : 15,990.- Baht

Which looks like it would do the job (though Instinctively I would like a faster processor & more RAM) and for < 16K it looks like a good deal to me (+ I did have an Asus Chromebook for 3-4 years & loved it so am happy with the brand).

Apologies I haven't read the full thread so don't know if this has already been mentioned but somebody was recommending getting a Mac & somebody pointed out that the OP needed MS Office - OP, You do know that you can get MS Office for MAC

https://msofficestore.us/product-category/ms-office/mac-microsoft-office/?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1_SkBhDwARIsANbGpFsLCwolm1Dm0egj5DfiB31iZ2A1y1CI_4ttrSDa6t6g2caYXerfIFwaAqmSEALw_wcB

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

My last Asus (which I still have) took a dump (bad mother board) after 11 months, and because I bought it in the US, Asus Thailand would not honor the warranty, plus, it took a couple months to get the board. 

A few months after that, it started having issues with the charge-port so I replaced it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 7:06 PM, ravip said:

Other than Mac , all else crap for you?

I offer you my sincere condolences...

I did not say that at all. Macs stay at one of my homes 

Chromebook on the road for productivity and net surf

The ASUS chromebook dropped  of my crew bag on the tarmac other day totally unharmed

If it had been destroyed no big loss. Around $250 US new. The one I had previously by SAMSUNG lasted several years but power supply failed suddenly.  I had it humanely destroyred. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 3:55 PM, Yellowtail said:

I've had two MacBook Pros and they were both great. Keyboards are certainly better than the Acer. 

Still have one of them. 

Just bought the 16" MacBook Pro M2 chip 32gb ram...........have had Mac's since 1996, one is a 17" - 9 years old, and is still being used for TV today...............love this new Mac - expensive??  how many people can say they use the same computer for 5,6,7 years............you get what you pay for.  Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, No Forwarding Address said:

Just bought the 16" MacBook Pro M2 chip 32gb ram...........have had Mac's since 1996, one is a 17" - 9 years old, and is still being used for TV today...............love this new Mac - expensive??  how many people can say they use the same computer for 5,6,7 years............you get what you pay for.  Cheers

Many can say that. My laptop with the shortest lifespan thus far was a Toshiba that I purchased cheaply as a refurb; a mere nine years. Longest was a fourteen to fifteen year old ACER, which was purchased new. I saw one being used a couple of years back in an Immigration office, so those things keep going. 

• Like 1