What type of Laptop do you use?

ravip

I'm using a Fujitsu.   Main reason I bought it is the weight--it's super light and I use a laptop to read books and sometimes watch tv shows and movies, as well as surf the internet, manage my stocks, email correspondence, Facebook, etc. 

Main complaints:  No touchscreen, which I miss a lot.  When I'm typing on an unstable surface, like my lap, the cursor sometimes jumps around when I am typing and I end up typing over what I've already typed.  Sometimes the fan is noisy.  I've had it about a year and the power cord it came with has malfunctioned and no longer charges the laptop.  Luckily, I bought a lighter backup power cord for traveling and I'm using that until the problem with the other one is handled.   Although it's a Fujitsu laptop, it seems like Lenovo is involved as that shows up on the screen when I power up.

• Like 1

Chuwi UbookPro 12'3 inch

Windows Tablet
Windows 10 Home 64-bit ,
Intel Core m3 7Y30 @ 1.10GHz 47 °C
Kaby Lake-U/Y 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 931MHz (14-17-17-40)
238GB Netac SSD 256GB (SATA (SSD))
Motherboard
CHUWI Innovation And Technology(ShenZhen)co.Ltd UBook Pro

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Chuwi-UBook-Pro-Tablet-Review-The-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-Clone.442700.0.html

Edited by david555
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Those updates are bandaids on bandaids to fix bugs and protect against hackers, for whom Windows is the number one target. A major PITA.

The last laptop I had with Windows on it, about ten years ago, got so badly infected by malware the shop I took it to advised me to throw it away. Unfixable.

Since I changed to a free Linux OS, I have never had any virus/malware problems. The target is too small.

Exactly! I use 'Big Linux' which is most user-friendly, detects which software your computer needs and talks you through everything. Otherwise, 'Linux Mint' is perhaps closer in appearance to Windows and just simply works.

• Like 1

Lenovo are great value. However, the former IBM brand quality has diminished noticably since being sold to Lenovo nearly 2 decades ago. My last Lenovo gaming laptop has always been a bit disappointing and am now looking at other brands. Also bought a high end Lenovo tablet last year, but it always had touch screen issues, so gave it away and bought another brand. 

Lenovo gives so much for the price and possibly l just got 2 "lemons", but just cannot recommend them any longer. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TimBKK said:

Any recommendations for where to buy a used/refurbished  Lenovo Thinkpad?  Local (BKK/Pattaya) or online…????

If in Bangkok, try Pantip Bangkapi.

Shops named Mahaprom and others on the 2nd floor, they have quite a few 2nd hand lenovo and other notebook brands in quantities.

Also 2nd hand notebooks available in Zeer rangsit.

This new Fujitsu military grade notebook avalable from npm store in zeer for 8500 baht seems like a good deal. Can also add more ram if reqd for quite cheap.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2-notebook-fujitsu-lifebook-5410-core-i3-10110u-21ghz-i4424970805-s17696865254.html

Edited by freeworld
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ms Tigger said:

Acer Chromebook with a 17" screen, had all sorts of laptops in the past (Toshiba, Dell, HP), but I'm very happy with the Chromebook.

Me too . My last Acer Chromebook lasted 12 years , still works but has passed its Chrome 

A.U.E. ( automatic update expiry ) which means no more updates or virus protection etc . Many people are not aware of the Chromebook update system that can last up to 8 years or maybe only 1 year , depending on the laptop model launch date . 

I only use my laptop for basic surfing and have just bought a new HP Chromebook with an A.U.E. till 2028 . It runs well and for only just under 8000 baht . Chromebook have a high security level and are not easily hacked .

6 hours ago, freeworld said:

If in Bangkok, try Pantip Bangkapi.

Shops named Mahaprom and others on the 2nd floor, they have quite a few 2nd hand lenovo and other notebook brands in quantities.

Also 2nd hand notebooks available in Zeer rangsit.

This new Fujitsu military grade notebook avalable from npm store in zeer for 8500 baht seems like a good deal. Can also add more ram if reqd for quite cheap.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/2-notebook-fujitsu-lifebook-5410-core-i3-10110u-21ghz-i4424970805-s17696865254.html

Seems like it's a business grade laptop,  not military? 

https://www.fujitsu.com/uk/products/computing/pc/notebooks/lifebook-e5410/index.html

On 6/22/2023 at 6:58 AM, Captain Monday said:

Then get the cheapest chromebook you can find. Work it like a circus chimp treating it like it like crap and in 2 or 3 years when it dies get a new one.

Well... Some people do the same with Apples!

After spending ×2 they realise they've got a rotten Apple...

It just happens ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Seems like it's a business grade laptop,  not military? 

https://www.fujitsu.com/uk/products/computing/pc/notebooks/lifebook-e5410/index.html

Fujitsu LIFEBOOK E5410

Data Sheet Fujitsu LIFEBOOK E5410 extract:

Durability is Military Standard MIL-STD-810H tested

Probably used the wrong wording; grade. Should have used the wording as stated on Fujitsu website for MIL-STD durability tested. Nevertheless it is a notebook for business.

Edited by freeworld
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ravip said:

Well... Some people do the same with Apples!

After spending ×2 they realise they've got a rotten Apple...

It just happens ???? 

I agree! 

I thought that everyone knew that Apples are rotten to the core after a certain period of time!  (please insert your own time frame...!)

On 6/23/2023 at 7:41 AM, Skeptic7 said:

Lenovo are great value. However, the former IBM brand quality has diminished noticably since being sold to Lenovo nearly 2 decades ago. My last Lenovo gaming laptop has always been a bit disappointing and am now looking at other brands. Also bought a high end Lenovo tablet last year, but it always had touch screen issues, so gave it away and bought another brand. 

Lenovo gives so much for the price and possibly l just got 2 "lemons", but just cannot recommend them any longer. 

You need to be selective when buying Lenovo. The Thinkpads are high quality with the mil-spec ones being best imo. The IdeaPads are consumer grade and the same quality as Acer, etc.

Mil-spec laptops are built more ruggedly than normal, and are designed for easy field repair. User and repair manuals, specs, etc. for all Thinkpads are available on thinkwiki.org for anyone lucky enough to have one. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gargamon said:

You need to be selective when buying Lenovo. The Thinkpads are high quality with the mil-spec ones being best imo. The IdeaPads are consumer grade and the same quality as Acer, etc.

Mil-spec laptops are built more ruggedly than normal, and are designed for easy field repair. User and repair manuals, specs, etc. for all Thinkpads are available on thinkwiki.org for anyone lucky enough to have one. 

Agreed, but Lenovo Thinkpads are not IMO up to IBM Thinkpad quality. Lenovo was held by IBM to IBM standards for 5 years or so, but after that..."Chinese" quality took over. Not that it's all bad, it's just not near the same. And after 2 consecutive disappointing Lenovo products, has made me look elsewhere. Don't see myself buying Lenovo again. 

Switching gears...LOVE your Atheist avatar Mine is saying exactly the same. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Agreed, but Lenovo Thinkpads are not IMO up to IBM Thinkpad quality. Lenovo was held by IBM to IBM standards for 5 years or so, but after that..."Chinese" quality took over. Not that it's all bad, it's just not near the same. And after 2 consecutive disappointing Lenovo products, has made me look elsewhere. Don't see myself buying Lenovo again. 

Switching gears...LOVE your Atheist avatar Mine is saying exactly the same. ????

One more thing on the original topic. I suggest people buy used/refurbished Thinkpads, not new ones. I'm currently using an X250, about 10 years old I think. When did Lenovo get sold by IBM? I'm looking around for an X1 carbon. Maybe they're too new and i should rethink it. 

A 15 year old Thinkpad is more than sufficient for what the OP was looking for. 

Edited by gargamon
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, gargamon said:

One more thing on the original topic. I suggest people buy used/refurbished Thinkpads, not new ones. I'm currently using an X250, about 10 years old I think. When did Lenovo get sold by IBM? I'm looking around for an X1 carbon. Maybe they're too new and i should rethink it. 

A 15 year old Thinkpad is more than sufficient for what the OP was looking for. 

IBM sold to Lenovo 15+ years ago. They went full Lenovo at least 10 years back, but not certain of exact year. 

I used to use an HP Pavilion laptop and it became very slow and I wasn't sure what to do with it, but then had a thought that I could use it purely for my movie downloads and it wouldn't matter if I got some sort of nasty virus or some such like.

With that in mind I bought a new Lenovo IdeaPad L340 Gaming, although I don't use it for gaming, and that has become my main laptop. With the HP Pavilion, I took it along to a local computer whiz and he fixed it, as well as reinstalling my Windows 10 without having to pay a subscription.

My Lenovo is connected to an HP 22F monitor, as well as a wireless keyboard and mouse, and also connected to the TV to be able to watch BBC iPlayer and other programs. 

Very happy with the setup at the moment although I do get a few freezing problems on Windows 10, which is a pain and no matter what I've tried to do, no matter how many YouTube videos I've watched about stopping this, or how many websites I have visited for the same problem, not to mention all sorts of cleaners, I still get the occasional freeze.

• Thanks 2

Pretty much nowadays is what is inside?

At a minimum an Intel i7 processor, an SSD hard-drive, and 8GB RAM. 
Go from there.  If it gets the job done, I'm not picky about manufacturer or brands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2023 at 8:44 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

I changed to a Macbook Pro for the first time a year or so ago.  Would NEVER go back to Windows!

wait till you cant update your mac anymore. used to like mac now i despise like the pest

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

wait till you cant update your mac anymore. used to like mac now i despise like the pest

Apple macs can be upgraded for about 7 or 8 years typically. I doubt that Windows will update longer on hardware older than that. Most people would update their computers more often than that. People with hardware older than that should probably look at ubuntu.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 7:54 AM, Yellowtail said:

I think for my next long trip I will buy a portable monitor and take my nuc desktop. I have a Pelican case I can reconfigure for it. 

That's my strategy as well. Portable monitors are a bit expensive and small. When I came to Thailand I brought a monitor with me as it fitted in my baggage allowance. I only regret not bringing my newest monitor which was QHD, so I put up with my FHD. I think a mini desktop is the way to go. If I made frequent short trips I'd rather fork out for a portable monitor as the cost of an equivalent laptop is probably still higher, especially one with a 16 inch monitor. My daily driver is a mac mini m2 but I also have an ASUS PN-51 mini.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

I used to use an HP Pavilion laptop and it became very slow and I wasn't sure what to do with it, but then had a thought that I could use it purely for my movie downloads and it wouldn't matter if I got some sort of nasty virus or some such like.

With that in mind I bought a new Lenovo IdeaPad L340 Gaming, although I don't use it for gaming, and that has become my main laptop. With the HP Pavilion, I took it along to a local computer whiz and he fixed it, as well as reinstalling my Windows 10 without having to pay a subscription.

My Lenovo is connected to an HP 22F monitor, as well as a wireless keyboard and mouse, and also connected to the TV to be able to watch BBC iPlayer and other programs. 

Very happy with the setup at the moment although I do get a few freezing problems on Windows 10, which is a pain and no matter what I've tried to do, no matter how many YouTube videos I've watched about stopping this, or how many websites I have visited for the same problem, not to mention all sorts of cleaners, I still get the occasional freeze.

I came across this article and thought will share with you for whatever it's worth...

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-l-series-laptop/l340-15api/solutions/ht510168-freezing-or-performance-issues-windows-10

• Thanks 1