What type of Laptop do you use?

ravip

I have been using HP for decades. Currently using a HP ProBook Intel i5 with 8GB RAM. Seems this PC has come to it's last legs - battery flat, some keys on the keyboard malfunctioning etc.

Now my computer requirements are not demanding. More or less, just internet browsing, MS Word, Excel, Power point only. So which brand, model and specs do you think would give me the best bang for the buck, as per your personal experience?

Never had Intel, so no idea.......  Always had AMD, my old laptop AMD was 20 years old working slowly gave it to a local school... My 1st Desktop ran  Windows 3.2...   My present Desktop built 11 yeas ago, have added a few new things since but still going strong + heavy use now on Windows 10 [so say worst AMD CPU FX 8300] ..... 

My Partner has a Acer intel laptop on its last legs but was used a lot, is 14 years old and still on XP

Understand one of e best cheaper Laptop is the Intel i5-11400 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Which is extremely important for the OP, who wants to write some word documents and browse the web... ????

My suggestion to the OP is pretty much anything on the market will do what you want, so just look for one that has any quality-of-life improvements that you think you may find useful, such as built in card reader, mouse nipple, or fingerprint login.

If there's no special features that you're interested in, then pretty much any mid-range laptop from any known brand will be fine for you.

What's most important is the reliability and the smooth operation.

• Like 1

In my opinion, what's most important are: 

Keyboard

Display

Speed 

In that order. Reliability is a crap-shoot. I love Apple products and have had quite a few, but I do not think they are any more reliable than other brands I have had. 

My kid's three-year-old iMac had the HD go south a few months ago, while the 10-15 year old Acer it replaced is still going strong. My wife's 25-year-old SG IBM clone still works. 

• Like 1

I switched from PC to Mac about fifteen years ago. I have a Macbook Pro from 2012 that still runs just fine, albeit on obsolete software.

My experience is that Macs can't run the newer OS releases very well after about six or seven years and it is necessary to upgrade, but I haven't yet had a Mac of any description conk out for no reason. Even when my kids abused their Macbooks (broken keyboards, cracked screens) we simply hooked up external peripherals and they chugged on.

I would also recommend a Macbook Air with the M1 chip. It is inexpensive (for a Mac) and it should last a long time.

• Thanks 1

I'm an ASUS fan, and mine have more RAM and vid card/non sharing, as needing the extra for editing photos & vids, so much larger files than you'll be dealing with.

You'll easily get by with a lower spec'd machine, <฿20k should provide for something very nice.  Mine & wife's only cost ฿25k+/-.   Hers being a Lenovo, and quite nice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I switched from PC to Mac about fifteen years ago. I have a Macbook Pro from 2012 that still runs just fine, albeit on obsolete software.

My experience is that Macs can't run the newer OS releases very well after about six or seven years and it is necessary to upgrade, but I haven't yet had a Mac of any description conk out for no reason. Even when my kids abused their Macbooks (broken keyboards, cracked screens) we simply hooked up external peripherals and they chugged on.

I would also recommend a Macbook Air with the M1 chip. It is inexpensive (for a Mac) and it should last a long time.

Are you referring to the MacBook Air M1 Chip 13.3 inch 8GB / 256GB (Model: MGN63)?

What's the year of manufacture of this model?

(2020 or 2021 I've seen)

Edited by ravip

I have two aging Dells, a Precision M4800 and a Precision M3800. The 4800 is almost 10 years old and is used as my desktop, the 3800 is almost 9 years old and is the one I take travelling. A few years ago I switched out the HDDs for SSDs, I've certainly had my money's worth out of them, hopefully they'll last a few more years.

• Like 1

I have an ASUS mini running linux with windows 11 pro in a VM but my daily driver is an Apple mac mini m2. I like linux and it was my OS of choice for a dozen years but recently changed to the mac since they brought out the mini for 20,800 baht.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dddave said:

I have a 10 year old 15" HP Pavillion "Sleekbook"  Like yours, some keys weren't working, it was very slow on it's best days and the battery was long gone though I actually rarely needed the battery in the first place.

I was going to bin it but a friend suggested it was still basically a good machine for what I used it for.  He showed me a few YT videos on upgrading my specific HP and since free time is something I have in abundance, I decided to give it a try.  A new keyboard on Lazada was less than B1000 as was a battery. An SSD was about B1500.  I bought a set of small size screwdrivers at a B20 store.  It took a few days but with the YT video to guide me step by step, it went surprisingly well. Used free Macrium software to copy the old HD and Windows onto the SSD.

Shockingly, it booted up first try and has run very well since. It's five times faster than it ever was, no sticking keys.  The battery I bought was crap, died after six months but I really never need it anyway as the old laptop is too bulky to lug around.

Even if you take yours to a shop and have them do the work, it shouldn't cost more than B5-6000 and you end up with a good working machine you are familiar with.

Yes, maybe I will try this. Changing the keyboard is simple, and yes... a ssd should give it a bit more pep!

Thank you.