UK: Interest rate hits 'shock' 5% after 0.5 percentage point increase

Social Media

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

No insults. Just an observation, based on your questions. 

An observation from which you draw a false conclusion.

I'm not having an arguement, at least I wasn't aware I was. 

Argument in the logical sense of the word

a reason or set of reasons given in support of an idea, action or theory.
"there is a strong argument for submitting a formal appeal"

My confidence is not misplaced, as can be shown in my own life situation. 

If you say so.

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps the Government should make an announcement that anyone driven into trouble with their mortgage or facing rent hikes as a result of the interest rate increases should take it on the chin as it’s all their own fault.

I can see it winning votes.

If I borrow money and cannot pay it back, it is between me and the lender to sort it out, not the government or tax payers.

Lenders have made it quite clear they are ready for any borrower to contact them to speak about issues with payments. Just as local councils have been doing with regards to council tax and energy companies have about bills.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

If I borrow money and cannot pay it back, it is between me and the lender to sort it out, not the government or tax payers.

Lenders have made it quite clear they are ready for any borrower to contact them to speak about issues with payments. Just as local councils have been doing with regards to council tax and energy companies have about bills.

Roll on the elections.

That is a sensible and necessary first step. However, what happens if the banks and customers cannot sort out things between them?

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I would have thought misapplying microeconomic thinking to a possible macroeconomic threat was a thing of the past. What mortgage default rate is sustainable before it has a seriously deleterious impact on the British economy?

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I would have thought misapplying microeconomic thinking to a possible macroeconomic threat was a thing of the past. What mortgage default rate is sustainable before it has a seriously deleterious impact on the British economy?

It’s not simply a matter of mortgage defaults, while inevitably bringing with them misery, a bigger threat to the

economy is contraction in business investment, undermining growth and adding to the already high SME failures.

Non of which will help the underlying causes of UK inflation, supply side deficiencies.

It will also worsen the UK economy’s already poor productivity.

What a mess.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s not simply a matter of mortgage defaults, while inevitably bringing with them misery, a bigger threat to the

economy is contraction in business investment, undermining growth and adding to the already high SME failures.

Non of which will help the underlying causes of UK inflation, supply side deficiencies.

It will also worsen the UK economy’s already poor productivity.

What a mess.

I agree. And, of course, the point your making is also a macroeconomic one. But underinvestment, while a serious problem, isn't as potent a threat as are widescale mortgage defaults.  That's the kind of thing that can cause the financial system to freeze up if there is no massive government intervention.