McCarthy backs effort to expunge Trump impeachments

Social Media

Congressman Kevin McCarthy speaks to guests before - PICRYL - Public Domain  Media Search Engine Public Domain Search

Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is throwing his weight behind the conservative effort to expunge the two impeachments of former President Trump, saying Trump’s behavior didn’t rise to a level that merited either punishment, and he would like to eradicate both votes from history. 

Leaving the Capitol on Friday ahead of a long holiday recess, the Speaker said he supports erasing the pair of impeachments because, he argued, one “was not based on true facts” and the other was “on the basis of no due process.”

“I think it is appropriate, just as I thought before, that you should expunge it because it never should have gone through,” McCarthy told reporters outside his office. He later clarified he supports expunging both Trump impeachments, but he emphasized such resolutions must first go through the committee process.

The Speaker’s endorsement of the expungement push highlights both the tenuous grip McCarthy has on his conference, where conservatives are holding his feet to the fire on numerous policy issues, and the powerful influence Trump retains over the Republican Party more than two years after leaving office. 

Full Story

image.png

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Typically expungement of an offense involves some evidence of rehabilitation, which is notably lacking here. I am not sure that you can expunge an indictment, which is what impeachment is.

McCarthy is off base about claiming “ punished enough”. Trump was not punished at all, as the senate of the time simply chose to not prosecute, strictly on party lines.

• Like 2