Climate Change May Have Caused Deadly Chumphon Plankton Bloom

webfact

image.jpeg

CHUMPHON (NNT) - An expert has indicated that climate change might have stimulated a plankton bloom that caused thousands of dead fish to wash up along a 3-4 km stretch of beach in Thailand’s southern Chumphon province.

Thon Thamrongnawasawat, Deputy Dean of the Faculty of Fisheries at Kasetsart University, attributed the fish deaths on Thursday (22 June) to the bloom - a natural occurrence that lowers oxygen levels in the water and causes fish to suffocate.

He said, "Various natural phenomena, such as coral bleaching or plankton bloom, have naturally occurred for thousands to tens of thousands of years. However, when global warming occurs, it intensifies and increases the frequency of existing phenomena."

According to local authorities, plankton bloom happen one or two times a year and typically last two to three days.

Officials have collected seawater for further assessment and analysis.

Worldwide marine heatwaves have become a growing concern this year, with thousands of dead fish washing up on beaches in the U.S. state of Texas and experts warning of algal blooms along the British coast as a result of rising sea temperatures.

Global sea surface temperatures for April and May were the highest on record for those months, according to the British Met Office.

Sarah Perkins-Kirkpatrick, a climate scientist with the University of New South Wales in Australia, said: "Whether it’s Australia and places like the Great Barrier Reef or even places around England which are experiencing quite bad marine heatwaves at the moment, it’s really going to be detrimental to those local ecosystems."

by Paul Rujopakarn

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230627091125488

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-06-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

I just hope that world governments will make us all live in 15 minute cities and make car driving illegal except for the wealthy and government elite and their functionaries. Only corporate and government vehicles should be allowed, and all commercial jet traffic should be banned except for private jets and military. The public needs to stop driving, stop flying, stop taking vacations, stop eating meat, and stop eating rice (https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/06/how-rice-is-hurting-the-planet/), and turn to soy and lab grown solutions endorsed by the WEF, as well as stop having children, and tithe the government at least 10% to 50% of your income to fight global warming.  Personally I think that people should volunteer to "check out" early in order to allow the useful segments of society to function. All those useless CO2/Methane producing plebs should be forced to limit their lifespans to save the Earth which will end as we know it by 2030 if drastic solutions are not embraced.  Those who no longer are useful should volunteer to end their lives early to save the planet like all retirees.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nothing to do with recent heavy rains and nutrients flowing into the sea followed by very sunny days and calm seas then.... ???...    y'know, the normal environmental conditions for plankton blooms... everything has to be 'climate change'...  

I think I will listen to the scientists. The deniers have been denying for 30 years now, just changing their angles as the increased floods, bushfires, droughts and record temperatures etc that the scientists told us would happen back then actually did happen as predicted, more often and more severe.

It surprises me how some deniers are still denying. 

Anyway...Whether it’s Australia and places like the Great Barrier Reef or even places around England which are experiencing quite bad marine heatwaves at the moment, it’s really going to be detrimental to those local ecosystems. Various natural phenomena, such as coral bleaching or plankton bloom, have naturally occurred for thousands to tens of thousands of years. However, when global warming occurs, it intensifies and increases the frequency of existing phenomena.

2 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

Personally I think that people should volunteer to "check out" early in order to allow the useful segments of society to function.

2 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

lab grown solutions

...and you'd like them to check their bodies in for Soylent Green production too?
Waste not want not.

14 hours ago, Goat said:

I think I will listen to the scientists. The deniers have been denying for 30 years now, just changing their angles as the increased floods, bushfires, droughts and record temperatures etc that the scientists told us would happen back then actually did happen as predicted, more often and more severe.

It surprises me how some deniers are still denying. 

Anyway...Whether it’s Australia and places like the Great Barrier Reef or even places around England which are experiencing quite bad marine heatwaves at the moment, it’s really going to be detrimental to those local ecosystems. Various natural phenomena, such as coral bleaching or plankton bloom, have naturally occurred for thousands to tens of thousands of years. However, when global warming occurs, it intensifies and increases the frequency of existing phenomena.

As soon as someone throws out the phrase  'climate change denier' I know they have been so brainwashed by the rhetoric it's impossible for them to have an intelligently balanced view point.....

I see a few woke posters on this article. If climate change is caused by the el nino, that is occurring this year, okay.

Global warming may also be the cause, or just maybe it is plankton season again. So will the soi dogs eat

those dead fish? Just wondering.