Monsoon surge raises flood risk across Thailand: 47 provinces on high alert

webfact

image.jpeg

Swelling rainfall across Thailand, spurred by the increasing strength of a monsoon coupled with an area of low atmospheric pressure, has compelled the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) to warn that 47 provinces could face potentially hazardous situations. Over the next 24 hours, it predicts 60% of their areas will face heavy rain, with the severity being the most significant in the northern and northeastern regions of the country.

Meteorologists at the TMD have attributed this increase in rainfall to the interaction of a trough of the southwestern monsoon as it crosses Myanmar and enters the northern region of Thailand, toward a pocket of low atmospheric pressure in Laos and North Vietnam. This system is underpinned by a southwestern monsoon, which intensifies over the Andaman Sea, Thailand, and the Gulf of Thailand.

The TMD cautioned that these phenomena, once converged over Thailand, will lead to higher rainfall and heavier showers in some parts of the country notably in the east. Altitudes in the north and northeast of the country are projected to experience intense rain and accumulated rainfall. This has the potential to cause sudden floods and forest runoff.

People in these regions, particularly near uphill areas, waterways, and lower plains are urged to be cautious of potential dangers. In the upper Andaman Sea, waves are expected to be 1 to 2 metres high and in areas with stormy weather, waves may rise above 2 metres. Fishermen are asked to navigate boats with caution and avoid regions with thunderstorms entirely.

Weather forecasts for Thailand from 6am today until 6am tomorrow show that the northern region will experience thunderstorms with 70% of the area affected, with heavy to very heavy rain in some parts, particularly in the provinces of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phrae, and Nan. Minimum temperatures range from 23 to 26 degrees Celsius, with maximum temperatures of 32 to 35 degrees. Southeasterly winds will be blowing at a speed of 10 to 25 kilometres per hour.

By Nattapong Westwood 

Picture courtesy of Brazil Topno, Unsplash

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/weather/monsoon-surge-raises-flood-risk-across-thailand-47-provinces-on-high-alert-for-heavy-rains

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Swelling rainfall across Thailand, spurred by the increasing strength of a monsoon coupled with an area of low atmospheric pressure, has compelled the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) to warn that 47 provinces could face potentially hazardous situations.

And the bad news is:-

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not sure where you live, but here on Koh Samui we are desperate for rain.

No rain where I live since February.

Government water rationed and non existent in some areas.

Wells drying up and water trucks only delivering to regular customers (at higher prices).

I tried doing a rain dance but the neighbours told me to put some clothes on and go back inside out of the sun. ????

Looks like you might get some today - lots of rain down south - but not much elsewhere.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nauseus said:

Looks like you might get some today - lots of rain down south - but not much elsewhere.

We didn't get a drop! And this is what it looks like at 11:20am today (28thJune)....Koh Samui

Open photo

Edited by Troy Tempest

3 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

We didn't get a drop! And this is what it looks like at 11:20am today (28thJune)....Koh Samui

Open photo

That's why I said might - looks similar today - rain further south and west. 

Looks like a nice day for a spin in Stingray though. Love to Marina.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

That's why I said might - looks similar today - rain further south and west. 

Looks like a nice day for a spin in Stingray though. Love to Marina.

Thanks...Better than a trip in Oceangate! :thumbsup:

Marina said thank you....Or at least something like that!...Sometimes I haven't got a clue what she's on about! :blink:

Gerry Anderson в Twitter: „What's your all time favourite Stingray moment? # Stingray https://t.co/WyLUgGXE8n“ / Twitter

image.jpeg.8e33d068f339ff99988478bb78eafb2e.jpeg

The funny thing is she looks just like a Ladyboy I know!

:smile:

9 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thanks...Better than a trip in Oceangate! :thumbsup:

Marina said thank you....Or at least something like that!...Sometimes I haven't got a clue what she's on about! :blink:

Gerry Anderson в Twitter: „What's your all time favourite Stingray moment? # Stingray https://t.co/WyLUgGXE8n“ / Twitter

image.jpeg.8e33d068f339ff99988478bb78eafb2e.jpeg

The funny thing is she looks just like a Ladyboy I know!

:smile:

By God you're right! I thought there was something a bit fishy.

Heavy rain Surat Thani now - getting closer! 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, nauseus said:

By God you're right! I thought there was something a bit fishy.

Heavy rain Surat Thani now - getting closer! 

We had a thunderstorm at about 1 o' clock last night....lasted about 5 minutes!

But, as the Tesco ads in the UK say, "Every little helps"! :thumbsup:

I wish we could get some heavy rain and even limited flooding would be welcome as it's been dry as a bone out here in rural Lamphun and if they manage to get rice in this year it's gonna be late in the season.  I good heavy soaking rain is really needed.