Move Forward-Pheu Thai meeting to discuss House speaker postponed

webfact

image.jpeg

The Move Forward party has postponed a meeting, scheduled for today (Wednesday), for negotiating teams to discuss the House speakership with the Pheu Thai party.

Pukkamon Noonanant, deputy spokeswoman for the Move Forward party, said in a Line message to reporters late Tuesday night that the party has decided to postpone the meeting and will notify the media once it has been rescheduled.

No reason was given for the meeting’s sudden cancellation, but it is believed to stem from the Pheu Thai party’s decision yesterday that it wants the House speakership and 14 cabinet seats, as part of the power sharing formula in the new administration.

#news

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/move-forward-pheu-thai-meeting-to-discuss-house-speaker-postponed/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Will this be the end of the MFP PM hopes, and will they then become the opposition.  The caretaker PM wants to know so he can stop packing.....

I think the caretaker can still pack...because than it will be some PTP PM.

Does someone know the big color factories? I want to buy stocks of red and yellow manufacturers as they may get many orders soon.

Thailand has four seasons....red season, yellow season, coup season and silent season.

I think there are positives that MFP can take to give the House Speakership role to PTP. It may even help Pita get a more favourable persuasion from the conservative senators to his side for PM. The hard line MFP manifesto that were promised to be pushed through Parliament by a MFP House Speaker may be problematic to get the Senate votes. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I think there are positives that MFP can take to give the House Speakership role to PTP. It may even help Pita get a more favourable persuasion from the conservative senators to his side for PM. The hard line MFP manifesto that were promised to be pushed through Parliament by a MFP House Speaker may be problematic to get the Senate votes. 

I think that the MFP wants to ditch PT. 

It is difficult to understand why the MFP refuse to negotiate with PT , knowing that alienating an alliance party spells disaster and risks parliamentary stalement.

iMO taking into account what Pita has said recently about 112 amendments , that an arrangement has been reached with the senators and other military linked parties 

Edited by cleopatra2

11 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

I think that the MFP wants to ditch PT. 

It is difficult to understand why the MFP refuse to negotiate with PT , knowing that alienating an alliance party spells disaster and risks parliamentary stalement.

iMO taking into account what Pita has said recently about 112 amendments , that an arrangement has been reached with the senators and other military linked parties 

PTP has better leverage tham MFP to form a majority coalition but I doubt they will go that route. It would meant that PTP would lose support from its pro-democracy voters who could then vote overwhelmingly for MFP in the next election. The supporters of PTP will see that as a betrayal after they have sacrified against the military. All leaders of PTP have make strong statement against allying with the junta parties. The Dem Party's demise is a stark reminder of betraying your own ideology. The pro-democracr coalition will stay and a compromise solution will be reached. 

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

PTP has better leverage tham MFP to form a majority coalition but I doubt they will go that route. It would meant that PTP would lose support from its pro-democracy voters who could then vote overwhelmingly for MFP in the next election. The supporters of PTP will see that as a betrayal after they have sacrified against the military. All leaders of PTP have make strong statement against allying with the junta parties. The Dem Party's demise is a stark reminder of betraying your own ideology. The pro-democracr coalition will stay and a compromise solution will be reached. 

The House Speaker vote is next week. Postponing today's meeting with no date rescheduled does not give hope.

46 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

But I doubt there is much love for the PT....The senators just dislike them a bit less

15 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

They'll of course do everything to let the MF look like the bad people who failed and PTP comes to the rescue of democracy.

If it works is a other case but they'll try to find some spin.

33 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

The House Speaker vote is next week. Postponing today's meeting with no date rescheduled does not give hope.

I think the date remains regardless of the horse-trading meetings leading up to it.

July 4, 2023 I think.

Be better if MFP could nail down the PM slot first.

I think PTP is canoodling with the enemy in a concerted effort to nail down the Speaker, knowing that the Senate will not vote Pita through as PM. Then MFP might struggle to nominate another PM candidate while PTP will have one all (Senate-approved) ready to go. MFP will be hobbled - the point of all this for their monarchy-reform stance - but it will look like that happened through incompetence and naivete.

Edited by bamnutsak

11 minutes ago, h90 said:

They'll of course do everything to let the MF look like the bad people who failed and PTP comes to the rescue of democracy.

If it works is an other case but they'll try to find some spin.

If the pro democracy coalition failed, both parties look bad after receiving overwhelming mandate from the voters. You cant rescue democracy by joining alliance with non democratic parties. It’s a no go path for PTP. A lot more gains for both parties to work hard to get an amicable solution and they will. 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

If the pro democracy coalition failed, both parties look bad after receiving overwhelming mandate from the voters. You cant rescue democracy by joining alliance with non democratic parties. It’s a no go path for PTP. A lot more gains for both parties to work hard to get an amicable solution and they will. 

I didn't calculate it, but PTP + the small parties + BJ + Dems should be somewhere the 250 in the house which they need to govern. Than they would need on top of that half the Senators which might be difficult but maybe possible

4 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

I'm sorry, Speaker role...? Can someone explain why the Speaker is so important?

The speaker gets to decide what gets debated, when it gets debated and who gets to speak during the debates so in effect, if he doesn't like something, then theoretically he could just keep postponing that particular debate.

At least that's my simplistic understanding of it.

Edited by nahkit