The Koh Chang Link

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Have you seen the boat Pier at Bang Bao ? And imagine 30cars going to and fro on that road to get a ferry and the Queues at Peak holiday weekends.  

bang-bao-koh-chang-beaches-featured-1140x642.jpg.4b3622754310abb1909b5b1579608cc3.jpg

An auto-ferry is typically much slower than a passenger ferry

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

An auto-ferry is typically much slower than a passenger ferry

All ferries to koh chang are car ferries, not sure of your point?

Except some tour group ferries that dock down on the east side, with Mini Buses waiting who then race each other to their designated Resort hotel, normally all Thais or Chinese. :jap:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

All ferries to koh chang are car ferries, not sure of your point?

Except some tour group ferries that dock down on the east side, with Mini Buses waiting who then race each other to their designated Resort hotel, normally all Thais or Chinese. :jap:

You were saying that a ferry to Bang Bao was not suitable for cars, and someone asked why. I only meant that given the additional distance from most anywhere to Bang Bao, an auto-ferry would take hours longer. 

Driving from Patts to Kho Chang you can probably make about 80km/H. An auto-ferry ferry would be lucky to make 10km/H. 

High speed passenger ferry could make decent time. 

42 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You were saying that a ferry to Bang Bao was not suitable for cars, and someone asked why. I only meant that given the additional distance from most anywhere to Bang Bao, an auto-ferry would take hours longer. 

Driving from Patts to Kho Chang you can probably make about 80km/H. An auto-ferry ferry would be lucky to make 10km/H. 

High speed passenger ferry could make decent time. 

Oh OK now I understand, even a high speed boat would have to be very fast indeed and weather conditions aren't always predictable  ????????????

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 7:21 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I am going in August. Do you have comments on good taxis at a good price to and from Bangkok.  I assume the main ferry is the only one and the other has not come back. Some good deals on hotels now. 

I’m not the OP but have been regularly to KOH CHang from Pattaya, using cocodeeboo , Colin, great service , great cars and sensible experienced drivers. Look up his internet site. Another site is 

iamkohchang , very nice guy too, similar service and has a BNB. 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, bignok said:

How about some recommendations

Look at booing.com loads of recommendations, depends what you want , pool, no pool, near beach or not, expensive or cheap or reasonable and when , different prices depending on months and holidays.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, stoner said:

best italian restaurant on the island ? i vote marco's 

garlic bread so yummy. 

It was Ziva , for me ! Fabulous food and I ate there nearly every night while on Koh Chang. I’ve heard she closed down after Covid ? Would love to hear she’s still there, lovely lady .Fab cook.,

41 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I recall Thor's Palace on White Sands Beach. Thor was a very out Trans person circa '97, with an oddly huge straight following.

Any Thor updates? I see his cafe is still in biz.

Straight following? What does that mean?

Do you mean customers and friends? Are they ‘followers’?

Back in ‘98, he had a deal for a free small bag of herbs(it wasn’t small) if you spent at least 500 baht in his restaurant on the beach. A free large pack if you spent 1000 baht. It was delivered on a silver tray. 

On 6/28/2023 at 8:18 PM, Yellowtail said:

What would be a good place to stay for a couple weeks in mid-late July? What would I have to spend for a decent place?

I'd do a drive down with wife and 20 year old son.

Thanks! 

Have a look at this place on Klong Prao beach. It's bang on the beach with multi swimming pools, great food, firework displays and shows, resident Filipino band, Good food high quality bungalows.

https://www.agoda.com/koh-chang-paradise-resort/hotel/koh-chang-th.html?checkIn=2023-07-09&los=1&adults=2&rooms=1&travellerType=1

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2023 at 4:22 PM, Real Name Hidden said:

I vote Mordi E Fuggi in Kae Bae. Homemade pasta.

IMG_20230514_191513.thumb.jpg.c1052cdf6f7c0c0c16547a55ccf5eed1.jpg

Definitely ! I would not visit the island if they were closed. That is one of the three Pizzerias I would recommend in Thailand as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

We are going in August and a hotel we are staying at has a service which is a car and speedboat to take you direct to the hotel from the airport and it is only about AUD26 per person extra than the normal 650 baht fee. Seems like it could be fun and not so expensive. The catch is they say if the weather is bad they will take you the normal way with no refund. Looking for those with knowledge of Koh Chang and or speedboats to know if the odds would be reasonable that a speedboat could make the trip at the time. 

45 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

We are going in August and a hotel we are staying at has a service which is a car and speedboat to take you direct to the hotel from the airport and it is only about AUD26 per person extra than the normal 650 baht fee. Seems like it could be fun and not so expensive. The catch is they say if the weather is bad they will take you the normal way with no refund. Looking for those with knowledge of Koh Chang and or speedboats to know if the odds would be reasonable that a speedboat could make the trip at the time. 

I know only of one resort with a passenger speed boat, and that is the 'Aiyapura' (a man made beach) in Klong Son quite a big boat.  don't think they'd run that for a couple of people.

Also you don't say which beach you are going to.  At the moment the seas could be quite rough, had some high winds this week/rain. The other factor is coming by boat through or around the small Island Chang Noi can be difficult as you then meet the wind in the opposite direction. Non refundable seems a tad unfair. Hard to predict the weather anymore.

Edited by brianthainess

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I know only of one resort with a passenger speed boat, and that is the 'Aiyapura' (a man made beach) in Klong Son quite a big boat.  don't think they'd run that for a couple of people.

Also you don't say which beach you are going to.  At the moment the seas could be quite rough, had some high winds this week/rain. The other factor is coming by boat through or around the small Island Chang Noi can be difficult as you then meet the wind in the opposite direction. Non refundable seems a tad unfair. Hard to predict the weather anymore.

It's Santhiya Tree on Klong Proa. If they can't take the boat they still take you but it is double the normal price by car and ferry etc. 

• Thanks 1

I'm a bit confused by 'normal price', do you mean Taxi from airport is 400b  ferry 80b taxi to resort 120b+  (not sure of the prices)  or pick up with their own car?  

Edited by brianthainess

48 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I'm a bit confused by 'normal price', do you mean Taxi from airport is 400b  ferry 80b taxi to resort 120b+  (not sure of the prices)  or pick up with their own car?  

The standard price seems to 650 baht per person from Trat airport in a van, ferry, van to your hotel. There is an alternative where you can pay 280 baht on a truck which gets you from the airport to the ferry, and includes the ferry fare, and then you get on a truck to your hotel for another 100 baht or so.

The hotel offers the car and speed boat option for 1250 which compared to the 650 sounds not bad. But if boats can't run they'll pick you and others up and it will be pretty much like the 650 option so I am thinking whether it's worth taking a punt. 

Actually you can book within 3 days so I might wait till it gets closer and have a look at the weather and, if still with not much rain, then give it a go. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

There is an alternative where you can pay 280 baht on a truck which gets you from the airport to the ferry, and includes the ferry fare, and then you get on a truck to your hotel for another 100 baht or so.

That's the normal way.

(I was thinking 400b to center point  the other ferry is closer to airport. )

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

My wife's university took a "Working" trip down there around 2008 and we stayed here. There were live turkeys running around. It was a great time. Is this place still there?

trip.jpg

Yes it is still there down a very steep hill . A short walk around from there around 'Rock sands" resort will bring you past some of the cheapest places on the beach, 'Pens Bungalows' are my favorite, and IMO the best restaurant on White Sand beach, rooms around 600-800baht. By the way I think I recognize the guy in the army shirt his name is Choy and still here and still the same tash. I avoid him.

On 6/30/2023 at 6:13 PM, LaosLover said:

I recall Thor's Palace on White Sands Beach. Thor was a very out Trans person circa '97, with an oddly huge straight following.

Any Thor updates? I see his cafe is still in biz.

He opened a bar/café in Klong Son a few years ago, it was not very successful, and closed. I don't know if he is still about.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I would ask them where their speedboat leaves from as I have never seen one boarding passengers from either of the main ferry ports. just saying and would be very interested to know.

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I would ask them where their speedboat leaves from as I have never seen one boarding passengers from either of the main ferry ports. just saying and would be very interested to know.

No worries. Looks like it is from Ao Tarn Khu Pier as per the following:

image.png.c6bc91e91bb56f28df2a0ce3d00da5cf.png

I sent 2 emails attempting to see if they can confirm if the speedboat is likely to be in use but no reply. I might get my girlfriend to call in the days before as it would be fun but if not ferry is fine. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

He opened a bar/café in Klong Son a few years ago, it was not very successful, and closed. I don't know if he is still about.

Many thanks for this.

I recall when a '98 updated edition of the Lonely Planet Thailand Guide described White Sands Beach as a place where "long-termers contentedly nurse their bongs", the beach hut building frenzy was in full swing.

For me, Thor and that time were peak-Thailand. Paloma was the classy resort, 70 baht for a hut with a shared squat toilet was doable -if you were willing to forgo a beach view (another 30 baht).

Thor had the big mix of diff nationalities, ages, and orientations, all mixing it up on that beautiful beach (pre-The Beach), ordering improbable food combinations like French toast, green curry, a Chang, and a watermelon shake. It was more of a mix because you had people coming from Cambodia and Pattaya instead of just everyone heading to the beach straight off of the plane.

I went to Ko Chang 4 times and I wish I went 4 more. Ko Chang was (and prob still is?) the sort of oddball choice for a beach compared to the South.

Edited by LaosLover
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

No worries. Looks like it is from Ao Tarn Khu Pier as per the following:

image.png.c6bc91e91bb56f28df2a0ce3d00da5cf.png

I sent 2 emails attempting to see if they can confirm if the speedboat is likely to be in use but no reply. I might get my girlfriend to call in the days before as it would be fun but if not ferry is fine. 

Oh that's where it is in between the 2 car ferries, satellite image only shows a beach no pier. Just saying.

• Like 1