The Koh Chang Link

9 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Exactly. Can get bus from Bangkok airport to hotel in Koh Chang 900 return. One way Trat airport to hotel 650 baht. Not impressed but on holiday so cop it. 

Yes I think they still have a 'Booth' down by the meter taxi booking place,  The Times I found were a bit inconvenient  but hey to your hotel, i have slept in the airport till their first bus at 7am to KC. going back to BKK with 'that' company first pick up is 10am>at least a 6hr trip but IME good drivers.

But Yeh if your on hols why not, but for me now i just want to sit I 'aint no spring chicken, Oh yes CenterPoint ferries have proper toilets not squat........YAY YAY Cent Point :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What would be a good place to stay for a couple weeks in mid-late July? What would I have to spend for a decent place?

I'd do a drive down with wife and 20 year old son.

Thanks! 

Hard to define decent place, there are rooms here from 500b a night, clean, hot shower WIFI on suite'

On the beach it just depends on your budget. Init. 

edit; if you need any work like oil change etc. Tires,  ask.

Edited by brianthainess

23 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Hard to define decent place, there are rooms here from 500b a night, clean, hot shower WIFI on suite'

How about some recommendations

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What would be a good place to stay for a couple weeks in mid-late July? What would I have to spend for a decent place?

I'd do a drive down with wife and 20 year old son.

Thanks! 

Aana Resort 1200 baht is good

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

How about a Budget ? What's yours 500b a night or 10k a night, I am not Trip Adviser.

Offer 1 under 1500, 1 over 1500 baht.

Most people dont spend 10,000 baht. They normally spend 600 to 3000 baht on islands.

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

less is better than more, but 3,000 a night for three in a nice beach location with a nice breakfast is okay.

4,000 for a one bedroom suite okay, or 2K each for adjoining rooms.

Last time I was there I stayed at the Novotel, and it was okay, but too remote.

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

less is better than more, but 3,000 a night for three in a nice beach location with a nice breakfast is okay.

4,000 for a one bedroom suite okay, or 2K each for adjoining rooms.

Last time I was there I stayed at the Novotel, and it was okay, but too remote.

I am not aware of a Novotel on Koh Chang. I see a Novetel Marina and Koh Si Chang so you might have the wrong spot.

Been booking my trip so can offer some tips. 

Sylvan which is formally Seaview Hotel is nice. That is the hotel which put the guy in jail for the bad review - probably why they changed their name. It's $86 Australian and it has a really beautiful forest setting, private lovely beach though a few rocks, excellent buffet breakfast up high with a panoramic view. Rooms on the beach are the best within budget with full sea views. Only down side is to get to town at Kae Bai you have to take a taxi but it's 50 baht per person and takes 5 minutes. You can walk along the beach at low tide.

Other picks for a little bit more are Santhiya Tree - they have these amazing new rooms with wood throughout and your own private pool for under $100 Australian including big buffet breakfast. Beautiful beach and big pool.  It is 5 minutes from town too but regular shuttles.

For in town at White Sand Beach KC Grande is nice. Hillside rooms are on budget but I don't like the atmosphere. Beach side rooms $20 over budget. Kacha is a half step down from KC Grande but still excellent as noted and much cheaper and decent breakfast, nice pools, on best beach. 

Dewa is nice but possibly a little bit past it's prime - next to Emerald Cove mentioned above. Has a sister hotel AWA that is nice and modern too but a few minutes walk to the beach.

Gajapuri resort is nice in Kae Bai and Paradise resort is in Khlong Prao too but for some reason the latter is showing high prices now. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I am not aware of a Novotel on Koh Chang. I see a Novetel Marina and Koh Si Chang so you might have the wrong spot.

Been booking my trip so can offer some tips. 

Sylvan which is formally Seaview Hotel is nice. That is the hotel which put the guy in jail for the bad review - probably why they changed their name. It's $86 Australian and it has a really beautiful forest setting, private lovely beach though a few rocks, excellent buffet breakfast up high with a panoramic view. Rooms on the beach are the best within budget with full sea views. Only down side is to get to town at Kae Bai you have to take a taxi but it's 50 baht per person and takes 5 minutes. You can walk along the beach at low tide.

Other picks for a little bit more are Santhiya Tree - they have these amazing new rooms with wood throughout and your own private pool for under $100 Australian including big buffet breakfast. Beautiful beach and big pool.  It is 5 minutes from town too but regular shuttles.

For in town at White Sand Beach KC Grande is nice. Hillside rooms are on budget but I don't like the atmosphere. Beach side rooms $20 over budget. Kacha is a half step down from KC Grande but still excellent as noted and much cheaper and decent breakfast, nice pools, on best beach. 

Dewa is nice but possibly a little bit past it's prime - next to Emerald Cove mentioned above. Has a sister hotel AWA that is nice and modern too but a few minutes walk to the beach.

Gajapuri resort is nice in Kae Bai and Paradise resort is in Khlong Prao too but for some reason the latter is showing high prices now. 

I've only been once, and I'm pretty sure it was a Novotel, but it's been years. I remember it being very remote.

Have you stayed at all of them? 

Do you know how frequent the shuttles are at the Santhiya Tree? I don't mind driving, but I don't remember much parking. 

20 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I've only been once, and I'm pretty sure it was a Novotel, but it's been years. I remember it being very remote.

Have you stayed at all of them? 

Do you know how frequent the shuttles are at the Santhiya Tree? I don't mind driving, but I don't remember much parking. 

I have stayed at Paradise Resort, Santhiya Tree, KC Grande, Sylvan,  and Kacha. Bhumiyama and Nest Sense nice in Lonely Beach. Nice cheapies too like Little Eden Blue Lagoon etc. 

The one you stayed could have been Mercure maybe. It is a bit distant and not that nice unless you pick the best rooms as I found. Bad beach.

Santhiya Tree had a shuttle every two hours. It says every hour but not sure low season. It's a bit over a kilometre to walk to town so not so bad. They all should have parking.  Can't remember spots being at Kacha but they say they have parking.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I stayed at Sylvan once and wouldn’t book there again, better places for the money.  Have also stayed at Santhiya Tree resort (shuttle is 4 times per day, or it’s a 20 minute walk to the main road), Dewa, Aana (which is up the river), Gajapuri, Chill (expensive, but have rooms with direct pool access), Awa, KC Grande, Emerald Cove, Mercury, Katcha, Chang Buri Resort, among others.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Hi, just thought I'd open this to give/swap any information on Koh Chang, I have been living here for 15+yrs, so have a bit of knowledge of the island and Trat, Ferries, transport, food etc.

Thanks for your time. 

Is there a good option for visiting Koh Chang with your own car without driving the road to there ? Like a ferry from Pattaya or Sattahip for example.

5 minutes ago, tgw said:

Is there a good option for visiting Koh Chang with your own car without driving the road to there ? Like a ferry from Pattaya or Sattahip for example.

I know they had a ferry when I drove down. 

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I have stayed at Paradise Resort, Santhiya Tree, KC Grande, Sylvan,  and Kacha. Bhumiyama and Nest Sense nice in Lonely Beach. Nice cheapies too like Little Eden Blue Lagoon etc. 

The one you stayed could have been Mercure maybe. It is a bit distant and not that nice unless you pick the best rooms as I found. Bad beach.

Santhiya Tree had a shuttle every two hours. It says every hour but not sure low season. It's a bit over a kilometre to walk to town so not so bad. They all should have parking.  Can't remember spots being at Kacha but they say they have parking.

Not really worried about parking at the hotel, but parking wherever I want to go from the hotel. 

1 minute ago, tgw said:

The Idea of a ferry to Bang Bao was going to happen but, that would have been unsuitable for cars anyway, and the road from there to elsewhere on the Island for driving is very narrow with extremely steep hills, the idea of 'tourists' hiring M/C from there, sends shivers down my spine. 

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think you've misunderstood his Question.

After reading your response I agree. 

I thought the drive down was nice.  

Maybe he has an EV....

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, tgw said:

The road now has been improved, Highway 36 they have built flyovers doing away with stopping at traffic lights for most, (not sure if all the construction is finished yet though) on to Highway 3 once past Chanthaburi fairly clear run.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Would not recommend. Out of town so hard to get food and a bit run down. Not right on the beach. Past its prime I think. 

What town? You can walk along the beach from there. Rooms are good, pool is good. Restaurants nearby.

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The Idea of a ferry to Bang Bao was going to happen but, that would have been unsuitable for cars anyway, and the road from there to elsewhere on the Island for driving is very narrow with extremely steep hills, the idea of 'tourists' hiring M/C from there, sends shivers down my spine. 

thank you.

why would it be unsuitable for cars ?

I have driven to most places on Koh Chang with my car, it requires a car in good working order and some driving experience. Not for everyone, that's for sure.

21 minutes ago, bignok said:

What town? You can walk along the beach from there. Rooms are good, pool is good. Restaurants nearby.

My memory is that you go along way down off the main road. There may be a couple of restaurants but far from the nearest bigger towns at Khlong Prou, Kae Bae or White Sand Beach. No other stores. If have transport no problem.

My understanding is it is on the river near the beach and it was a little difficult to actually get to the beach depending on tides. Kind of middle of nowhere but might be nice for that reason. Lots of people said it's a bit run down when I looked at it pre covid but may be better now. 

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

My memory is that you go along way down off the main road. There may be a couple of restaurants but far from the nearest bigger towns at Khlong Prou, Kae Bae or White Sand Beach. No other stores. If have transport no problem.

My understanding is it is on the river near the beach and it was a little difficult to actually get to the beach depending on tides. Kind of middle of nowhere but might be nice for that reason. Lots of people said it's a bit run down when I looked at it pre covid but may be better now. 

Its nice inside. Bit of walk to beach as on river but no issue for me. I liked it.

If no car White Sands be best.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, tgw said:

thank you.

why would it be unsuitable for cars ?

I have driven to most places on Koh Chang with my car, it requires a car in good working order and some driving experience. Not for everyone, that's for sure.

Have you seen the boat Pier at Bang Bao ? And imagine 30cars going to and fro on that road to get a ferry and the Queues at Peak holiday weekends.  

bang-bao-koh-chang-beaches-featured-1140x642.jpg.4b3622754310abb1909b5b1579608cc3.jpg

1 hour ago, tgw said:

The road now has been improved, Highway 36 they have built flyovers doing away with stopping at traffic lights for most, (not sure if all the construction is finished yet though) on to Highway 3 once past Chanthaburi fairly clear run.