The Koh Chang Link

39 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Many thanks for this.

I recall when a '98 updated edition of the Lonely Planet Thailand Guide described White Sands Beach as a place where "long-termers contentedly nurse their bongs", the beach hut building frenzy was in full swing.

For me, Thor and that time were peak-Thailand. Paloma was the classy resort, 70 baht for a hut with a shared squat toilet was doable -if you were willing to forgo a beach view (another 30 baht).

Thor had the big mix of diff nationalities, ages, and orientations, all mixing it up on that beautiful beach (pre-The Beach), ordering improbable food combinations like French toast, green curry, a Chang, and a watermelon shake. It was more of a mix because you had people coming from Cambodia and Pattaya instead of just everyone heading to the beach straight off of the plane.

I went to Ko Chang 4 times and I wish I went 4 more. Ko Chang was (and prob still is?) the sort of oddball choice for a beach compared to the South.

Those early days here were so cool, 50b for hut at White sand at what is now KC grand resort. no Lecky, check in was key and, a oil lamp. Small bonfires on the beach, smoking and drinking. Old lady on reception selling small bags of weed.

There was an English woman (Bridget) with a Thai husband that had some huts. The marriage was going south and you'd hear them fighting around the clock.

This would be unthinkable now as a vacation, but nobody minded. Everyone was cool and pretended it never happened when they were ordering a fruit shake.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yes it is still there down a very steep hill . A short walk around from there around 'Rock sands" resort will bring you past some of the cheapest places on the beach, 'Pens Bungalows' are my favorite, and IMO the best restaurant on White Sand beach, rooms around 600-800baht. By the way I think I recognize the guy in the army shirt his name is Choy and still here and still the same tash. I avoid him.

This is 1 of the bungalows we stayed in. Sorry but not the same guy. This guy was the uni van driver. He died of cancer about 5 years ago. Sad as he was a really nice guy too.

rooms.jpg

On 6/27/2023 at 10:43 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Because I am normally on a shorter holiday I am staying at hotels with buffet breakfast etc to keep the girlfriend happy but for a long term stay Blue Lagoon on Klong Prou and Little Eden on Lonely Beach are fun. Both in natural settings but maybe a bit basic for longer stays. There is a few similar ones on Lonely Beach. The Op might know.

I have seen Kacha in White Sand Beach lately as low as $37 a night and that includes a buffet breakfast with two nice pools right on White Sand Beach with a night market there at night. It's now $50 but it goes up and down. Australian dollars. 

I was there a few months ago and stayed at Kacha. The night market consisted of a few stands along the road.

• Like 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

I was there a few months ago and stayed at Kacha. The night market consisted of a few stands along the road.

I 'm staying there in a few weeks for a week. I have only been to Koh Chang once since covid and like you say it was pretty poor then too. There is a lady there who made a good som tam and sticky rice and fried chicken and soup my girlfriend likes. Hope she's there but low season seems to hit Koh Chang pretty bad now. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I went a few weeks ago for the 3rd time to Koh Chang.
Was a bit of a gamble but weather was fine. A few days sunny and raining for an hour or so. Mostly raining at night.
3rd time as well at "Sylvan" (new name).

Love the hotel. Very clean, well maintained, clean beach, can swim across to a small island, lovely breakfast buffet and nice meals served, a few metres from the beach.

My favourite place.

The forest walk from the top to the beach is pretty special. Funicular fun. Nice beach once you know where rocks are. Left two days ago. Beauty. 

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, gargamon said:

It's called a super moon. Closer to the earth by about 25k miles. Causes a tide about 1 ft higher. 

Or maybe it's the melting polar ice caps. 

I think your right about the moon, our local Chinese temple, have had a 'thing' going on last night, and this morning (my missus actually slept their last night) unless its part of the 'Buddhist lent' thing my missus is still on her 3month no alcohol, I think it's one month in. 

4 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

The forest walk from the top to the beach is pretty special. Funicular fun. Nice beach once you know where rocks are. Left two days ago. Beauty. 

Almost never leave the place, once checked in. Always drive from BKK to KC by my own car.
Horrible to drive up and down to the hotel. When dark or wet, quite scary.
We arrived when the last long weekend was ending. A massive queue on the other site, people driving back toward ferry. Stop and go up and down those scary hills.
I was happy that we were driving opposite direction.

Now looking for a different island as 3 times KC is enough for now.