Baht falls to 7-month low as unease grows over chances of Pita Limjaroenrat being elected as PM

webfact

On 6/30/2023 at 12:51 PM, MrJ2U said:

"A senator who has been publicly disparaging of the Move Forward Party is now saying that party leader Pita Limjaroenrat will never get enough support from the Senate to become Thailand’s next prime minister."

I guess his last days as a Senator is set in stone then, he won't be coming back for another stint.

11 hours ago, mogandave said:

Or if the cost is not significant enough to matter.

The costs are significant.....transportation is a significant part of product costs...as there are several transportations on everything.

1 hour ago, h90 said:

The costs are significant.....transportation is a significant part of product costs...as there are several transportations on everything.

But perhaps not significant to the individual claiming it was not their problem, which is what we were talking about. 

The "costs" you mention disproportionally hurt the poor, but do not significantly impact the rich. 

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

But perhaps not significant to the individual claiming it was not their problem, which is what we were talking about. 

The "costs" you mention disproportionally hurt the poor, but do not significantly impact the rich. 

yes disproportinally hurt the poor --> 100% agree. First and easiest thing to do should be to cancel all the taxes that disproportinally hurt the poor. But no one want to even talk about that.

24 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes disproportinally hurt the poor --> 100% agree. First and easiest thing to do should be to cancel all the taxes that disproportinally hurt the poor. But no one want to even talk about that.

How will the poor be compelled to behave in a certain way if not with taxes? 

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How will the poor be compelled to behave in a certain way if not with taxes? 

yes you are right: the best way to control is tax everyone poor and than hand out money to these who behave.

And the handouts make it look like the are personal gifts from the politicians to help.

If the poor can make money themself, keep it and save it and become middle class they would think they can control their life themself and get critical on politicians....no one wants that....beside maybe the founding fathers of the USA centuries ago

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Baht depreciation results in inflation locally. But since foreigner are exporters their income increase is greater than their expenses increase. 

9 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Baht depreciation results in inflation locally. But since foreigner are exporters their income increase is greater than their expenses increase. 

Accuracy of you statement aside, what does that have to do with what I said? 

37 minutes ago, morrobay said:

??? Just a case in point to what you said: That the inflation is not significant. 

Okay, but I never said that inflation is not significant. I think I said it disproportionality hurt the poor, and that it did not significantly hurt the rich. 

That said, the exchange rate changes continuously. I remember it at 44/$ when I first came. It was weaker last October than it is today. If I knew how currencies were going change, guys like Mark Zukerburg would be shining my shoes...

On 6/29/2023 at 6:57 AM, jacko45k said:

Really....... I can think of one. 

one....one hundred more like it

On 6/29/2023 at 9:15 PM, ericthai said:

Import costs go up!! That's the problem.  

Thailand is one of the most self sufficient economies there is, so import costs are as mitigated as they can be imo. Of course they dont produce everything, and do not have all raw materials in abundance, but here they have almost as much as anyone, overall.

10 minutes ago, kuma said:

Thailand is one of the most self sufficient economies there is, so import costs are as mitigated as they can be imo. Of course they dont produce everything, and do not have all raw materials in abundance, but here they have almost as much as anyone, overall.

No it is not....I work in technical company and almost nothing comes from inside Thailand...all is imported, the production machines, the semi finished materials, the tools...even the computer in the office.