Titanic tourist sub photos show wreckage being brought ashore

Social Media

image.png

Parts of the tourist submersible that imploded on a deep dive to the Titanic, killing five people, have been seen for the first time since the incident.

Metal wreckage from the Titan sub was unloaded from the Horizon Arctic ship in St John's, Canada, on Wednesday.

Photographs showed metal pieces from the sub covered in tarps before cranes lifted them on to trucks.

US Coast Guard officials have said the submersible's landing frame and a rear cover were found among the debris.

All five people on board the vessel died on 18 June after it imploded about 90 minutes into a dive to view the famous 1912 shipwreck, which sits at a depth of 3,800m (12,500ft) in the north Atlantic.

The submersible's construction included at least one titanium end cap, a titanium ring and a carbon fibre cylinder.

The debris brought ashore on Wednesday appeared to include at least one titanium end cap, the sub's porthole with its window missing, as well as a titanium ring, landing frame and the end equipment bay, according to BBC.

Full Story

image.png

• Like 2

Interesting.

All reports I read had indicated that the vessel would have been completely crushed from the massive implosion, yet here we have very large pieces being recovered, ostensibly with some human remains inside. The nose cone was pretty much intact as well.

image.png.8c550882817ee03f1c79077fc0622fc1.png

Hopefully with such large pieces recovered they will have a better chance of working out what happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some people need the thrill/excitement of risking their lives for basically nothing.

Some can only afford some bungee jumping.

Today some space tourists do an excursion in a Virgin Space ship for 200'000 USD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The nose cone was pretty much intact as well.

Likely made from Titan.

I am not an expert but using a carbon fiber cylinder for that purpose?

Some people swear that would not even sit in a 787.

7 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

My bet is that no one else will trust using carbon fibre for another mini sub like the Titan was.

I am hopeful that there is a bit more intelligence in the world.

It does seem a very strange choice of material. Even a layman like myself would expect steel or titanium to be used. 

The passengers must have been very brave/foolhardy. I even pulled out of a decision to buy carbon fibre wheels for my motorbike because I had visions of them collapsing if I hit a pothole at high speed. I certainly wouldn't get into a carbon fibre tube and then sink to the bottom of the ocean in it. 

Still, their life, their choice. If you want to make an omelette you have to crack some eggs. Risk is part of innovation in a field like this.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I do not know why everyone believes carbon fiber is such a bad choice for material. 

Many reasons.

https://www.formguru.co.in/2023/06/carbon-fiber-submarine.html#:~:text=Carbon fiber is more brittle,catastrophic failure of the submarine.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

The pictures look like it was crushed completely to me. 

Hardly. The nose cone is intact and the part of the hull/tail appears over 2 metres long. Which given the length of the sub to start with, means that's a pretty large section. 

image.png.4a3268d41ca9f024ab4970d8bf88aa58.png

• Haha 1

All it takes is a crack to form and spread, After the water rushes in the pressure equalizes.  the human body is not designed for those pressures ,  large pieces of the hull would be expected, 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some people need the thrill/excitement of risking their lives for basically nothing.

Some can only afford some bungee jumping.

Today some space tourists do an excursion in a Virgin Space ship for 200'000 USD.

I like scuba diving but I can't see the point in things like the Titan to see the Titanic.

I can see the point in Virgin Galactic's operation though, and if I was a multi-millionaire (say 2 or 3m, or maybe even 1) then I'd definitely book a seat on that for half a mio. Certainly a lot more fun and interesting than the Titan.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Likely made from Titan.

I am not an expert but using a carbon fiber cylinder for that purpose?

Some people swear that would not even sit in a 787.

I read somewhere that the potential problem was the combination of carbon fibre with titanium - that over time can apparently lead to corrosion. The OceanGate CEO rubbished this apparently but consistently refused to let his contraption be peer reviewed - the basis of any technological innovation.

(Virgin Galactic needed FAA approval to take pax.)

I still wouldn't sit in a 787 Max - they cut that many corners on the machine it's still 5 meters shorter than it should be ???? Boeing is also still under serious scrutiny having morphed from a brilliant engineering company into a money machine offering sinecures for political favourites rather like the UK offers seats in the 'Lords'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Many reasons.

Yet you do not name one. I magazine article written AFTER the failure seems pretty weak to me. All materials have plusses and minuses.

Steel is like fifty cents a pound, and it's easier to work with, why would anyone not use it if it were better? 

20 hours ago, JonnyF said:

https://www.formguru.co.in/2023/06/carbon-fiber-submarine.html#:~:text=Carbon fiber is more brittle,catastrophic failure of the submarine.

Hardly. The nose cone is intact and the part of the hull/tail appears over 2 metres long. Which given the length of the sub to start with, means that's a pretty large section. 

image.png.4a3268d41ca9f024ab4970d8bf88aa58.png

Do you think that panel could be crushed any flatter? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yet you do not name one. I magazine article written AFTER the failure seems pretty weak to me. All materials have plusses and minuses.

Steel is like fifty cents a pound, and it's easier to work with, why would anyone not use it if it were better? 

Do you think that panel could be crushed any flatter? 

My link showed plenty of reasons. Did you even read it?

If you don't believe me talk to the designer. Oh wait a minute...

• Haha 2

There's an excellent and thorough article in the New Yorker that explains the many, many issues that made the Titan a potential deathtrap. Makes for horrific reading. I thought the negligence was bad enough before I read the article, but it's far more damning than I imagined.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/a-reporter-at-large/the-titan-submersible-was-an-accident-waiting-to-happen

If you get blocked by a paywall, use incognito or inPrivate mode to get past it.