Affirmative action: Supreme Court justices clash over 'colourblind' America

Social Media

image.png

The US Supreme Court has ruled that the Constitution prohibits American universities from considering the race of applicants as part of its admissions process.

The court once again has divided sharply on ideological lines. The six conservative justices in the majority heralded the decision as a step toward a more colourblind society, where students will be measured by their accomplishments, not their race. The three liberals condemned the ruling, arguing that it ignored the ongoing reality of discrimination in America.

The sweeping decision applies to every university, public and private, across the US. But it is the prestigious Ivy League institutions like Harvard, where tens of thousands of applicants compete for hundreds of spots a year, that could be affected the most by the ruling.

The court did not say it was directly overruling a 20-year-old legal precedent that universities could consider race as a factor in a holistic effort to create a diverse student body. But University of Texas law professor Steve Vladeck says the effect will be just as significant.

STORY

image.png

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's time for Affirmative Action to be a thing of the past. 

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

MLK

Love that quote imop,

A parent should heed this every time they spend money selfishly ! Imop Put your children's education first !imop

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's time for Affirmative Action to be a thing of the past. 

Yes, when black and Hispanic students at large have equal educational opportunities (teachers, resources, school facilities, etc) as their white counterparts....

Which as things stand now in the United States.... is a long way off.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So do it on means testing then. Not race.

You do realize that poor white people exist, as do rich black people.

Your ideas are so out of date it's unreal. Removing this racist practice is long overdue.

Yup I do realize there are poor white people if they have a strong work ethic they will achieve success perhaps not ( riches) but a modest life with dignity the ones failing are victims of their character or they live in corrupt red states.bigotry and racism still exist in the USA the playing field is not level anyone getting into the better universities isent a dullard ( with the exception of some of the athletes) your premise ignores the basic fact of discrimination it’s real and we in America need to grow towards a more egalitarian society 

7 hours ago, Tug said:

Yup I do realize there are poor white people if they have a strong work ethic they will achieve success perhaps not ( riches) but a modest life with dignity the ones failing are victims of their character or they live in corrupt red states.bigotry and racism still exist in the USA the playing field is not level anyone getting into the better universities isent a dullard ( with the exception of some of the athletes) your premise ignores the basic fact of discrimination it’s real and we in America need to grow towards a more egalitarian society 

And those black people who have a strong work ethic will achieve success perhaps not (riches) but a modest life with dignity the one failing are victims of their character or they live in corrupt BLUE states.bigotry... I can't go on copying your ramble with it's poor grammar and sentence structure... but it seems that ony poor white people will achieve a modicum of success while poor black people will not... utter hogwash and so racist to think that.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

And those black people who have a strong work ethic will achieve success perhaps not (riches) but a modest life with dignity the one failing are victims of their character or they live in corrupt BLUE states.bigotry... I can't go on copying your ramble with it's poor grammar and sentence structure... but it seems that ony poor white people will achieve a modicum of success while poor black people will not... utter hogwash and so racist to think that.

Yup I’m one of those guys that had to join the workforce early because of a death so my in the family so my education suffered and just so ya know the blue states have on average MUCH stronger economy’s their tax dollars help the states that aren’t doing so well mainly the red states it is true that have had the pleasure of knowing and having some black friends that are doing well unfortunately they are the exception not the rule.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This court is not legitimate. They have power but it is not legitimate power. The right wing STOLE two seats. Any illusions that the court is above partisan politics has been totally erased. 

One of Trump's greatest lasting legacies will be appointing 3 Justices to the Court.  It leaned left for so long that the US forgot what it was like to have a court that respected the Constitution. 

TBH I prefer the system in Canada, where Justices are appointed until the age of 75, when there is mandatory retirement. 

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

One of Trump's greatest lasting legacies will be appointing 3 Justices to the Court.  It leaned left for so long that the US forgot what it was like to have a court that respected the Constitution. 

TBH I prefer the system in Canada, where Justices are appointed until the age of 75, when there is mandatory retirement. 

Those 3 justices were all confirmed 

by the Senate according to the letter of the law, the Constitution!If they were radical Conservatives they would of never been confirmed! Imop

Edited by riclag