US Supreme Court strikes down student loan forgiveness plan

Social Media

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Anyone considering the folks who couldn't afford to go to college, or qualify for loan, now working a job, not paying as much as a college grad, who got the loan, education, and now working a better salaried job.

They would have been forced, via their tax $$$ to subsidize someone's education, that they couldn't afford for themselves, and to folks making much better salaries, up to $125k a year.

Does that sound fair ... ????

Do those now working a better salaried job qualify for the scheme?

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Imagine approaching retirement age and still owing on student loans.

Imagine being retired and paying your kids parent plus loans like I did while they were also paying off loans.  My oldest daughter who is a Nurse Practitioner still owes almost 200K in loans and she has been working for 8 years in her profession while doing continued education.  If they would reduce the interest rates to a small percentage instead of the 9.8% she is paying the loan servicer then she could make headway.   She would not have qualified for the forgiveness plan and she will not qualify for the new one.  How does one pay a House mortgage, raise kids and live life while working to pay US Income taxes of 33%, loan interest, and make it to retirement debt free.  I know too many doctors and such who are still working at almost 70......

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chrischronic said:

Did you read the bill? It literally says the opposite. 

Borrowers are eligible for this relief if their individual income is less than $125,000 ($250,000 for married couples). No high-income individual or high-income household – in the top 5% of incomes – will benefit from this action.

Up to $125k = less than $125k ... in my world, but thanks for simply repeating the obvious.

$250k for married couple ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, JayBird said:

I remember when 125k a year was allot.  Of course I am very old....

It's still a lot of money, and why as the OP points out:

"The White House had previously estimated that almost 90% of US student borrowers would have qualified for relief under the plan."

Since my one brother retired, I don't anyone that makes $125k a year, from a salaried job.

The most I ever made (salary) was $50k a yr, and sadly, do to the company/NWA, crying the blues, and filing bankruptcy and being taken over by DL, almost 20 yrs later, and coworkers I left behind, were still making the same salary, after finally regaining their 'paybacks' ????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Up to $125k = less than $125k ... in my world, but thanks for simply repeating the obvious.

$250k for married couple ????

Oh ok you mean the threshold is to high. What do you think a better income number would be?