Planning trip to Phimai/Phanom Rung

watthong

We (one fit senior couple) are planning to visit Phi Mai + Phanom Rung for a 1 week/10 days trip, coming up from BKK and using Korat as base. We are not so keen on motosai taxis (short 1-2 km distance is ok but not longer or our nerves will get frayed...) and would like to get info on 4-wheeled transportation. Besides renting a van/car with driver for ourselves, just wondering about most current options on using public bus/minivan etc. to get to the temples. Thank you in advance for any tips or advice/price range.

If you stay at a half decent hotel in a nearby town , you can ask the receptionist to arrange transport for you , to and from. There is a good chance they can steer you in the right direction with a contact phone number. In bigger cities there might even be a Grab option but I can't say for sure. Worth checking.

Try to go to these places midweek and in the morning. Less crowded and a bit cooler.

We had the place almost to ourselves.

DSC00992.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01018.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Denim said:

If you stay at a half decent hotel in a nearby town , you can ask the receptionist to arrange transport for you , to and from. There is a good chance they can steer you in the right direction with a contact phone number. In bigger cities there might even be a Grab option but I can't say for sure. Worth checking.

Try to go to these places midweek and in the morning. Less crowded and a bit cooler.

We had the place almost to ourselves.

DSC00992.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01018.jpg

Thank you for the advice. The photos are beautiful. Was your trip recent? if so could I ask what kind of transportation you used and the cost? Thanks.

Go to PhiMai first, since smaller, and the museum is on the road into town.  Many pass it without realizing it.

No rec on transport, as self drive, but as suggested, surely your accommodations will know of.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Go to PhiMai first, since smaller, and the museum is on the road into town.  Many pass it without realizing it.

No rec on transport, as self drive, but as suggested, surely your accommodations will know of.

Thanks for the tip. Any other secondary ones worth a peek? I think we'll do meung tam as well, since we have the time...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, watthong said:

Thank you for the advice. The photos are beautiful. Was your trip recent? if so could I ask what kind of transportation you used and the cost? Thanks.

Not recent. About 6 years ago. We drove in our own car so pretty easy to get there early.

• Thumbs Up 1