AOT Forms Committee to Probe Walkway Incident

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You assume that none of what you say was done. There have been plenty of claims that regular and frequent maintenance takes place, and to international standards. You are assuming that isn't so, but with nothing than experience elsewhere in Thailand to back up your suggestion that the job wasn't done properly. Maybe it was, maybe not, but I don't know and neither do you.

In fact, they were dislodged by the woman's suitcase that she, according to her, tripped over as she prepared to leave the walkway. - a suitcase that should have been checked in and not taken to the plane. But the check-in desk don't care. If they had done their job then the woman would still have her leg. Even if she did self check-in, there are always staff there monitoring and ready to help anyone having a problem, who should have told her to check the suitcase in. Should the travelator have broken? I'm not an engineer so I don't know, but I do know that sometimes things break with no warning, no matter how well kept they are.

I don’t understand, how can a suitcase, big or not, cause a leg to be stuck under the belt ?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Something might be strange, since AOT will not reveal the CCTV...:whistling:

I read somewhere over the weekend that the cameras were some distance from the accident area and they did not provide usable footage.

It was also mentioned that a broken wheel on her suitcase was the cause of the incident,but for me I would be pulling luggage with a broken wheel not trying to keep it under control it in front of me

1 hour ago, geisha said:

I don’t understand, how can a suitcase, big or not, cause a leg to be stuck under the belt ?? 

The suitcase broke off two of the 'teeth' at the end of the walkway. I have no idea how that led to a part of the walkway to collapse for the woman's leg to fall into, and I've seen no explanation of that anywhere. Seems impossible to me. And there has been no photo that I've seen that even shows a gap, part of the walkway missing. Even the photo of the woman laying there showed no gap. It's a total mystery to me.

2 hours ago, geisha said:

That's the 1000 baht question that none of the various news reports I've read here thus far seem to have clearly explained (in a way that makes any sense).

The closest I can recall is some notion that one or more of her suitcase wheels got stuck at the end point of the escalator/travelator, and that somehow that pressure caused some supporting bolt connection underneath the escalator to break, and that led the unit to partially collapse and create the opening where the woman's leg got caught.

Something like that?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's the 1000 baht question that none of the various news reports I've read here thus far seem to have clearly explained (in a way that makes any sense).

The closest I can recall is some notion that one or more of her suitcase wheels got stuck at the end point of the escalator/travelator, and that somehow that pressure caused some supporting bolt connection underneath the escalator to break, and that led the unit to partially collapse and create the opening where the woman's leg got caught.

Something like that?

I suppose the pallet has one of two joints broken like this on photo, remaining joint let it work without a load. When the suitcase was set on the pallet it sagged making a gap enough to jam a wheel, and when the FD416AB5-620A-4DFC-B3E5-3D4D64BE56B4.jpeg.c5badb1a8c265ae85cde4e39543446f6.jpegpassenger stepped on this pallet it collapsed

2 hours ago, Alex2554 said:

I suppose the pallet has one of two joints broken like this on photo, remaining joint let it work without a load. When the suitcase was set on the pallet it sagged making a gap enough to jam a wheel, and when the FD416AB5-620A-4DFC-B3E5-3D4D64BE56B4.jpeg.c5badb1a8c265ae85cde4e39543446f6.jpegpassenger stepped on this pallet it collapsed

Edited by norbra

11 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Was a proper incident investigation conducted to establish the root causes?

If an investigation was conducted, was the investigation conducted by a qualified individual or individuals (Kelvin Top Set trained or equivalent)?

Does the airport have a health and safety management system with a safety policy? Are all staff aware of the safety policy?

Does the airport have a suitable and sufficient risk assessment that highlights the hazards of using travelators, the people that could be harmed, control measures applied and the inherent and residual risks?

As part of a suitable and sufficient site risk assessment, have failure mode effects analysis (FMEA) been conducted on the travelators to ensure the risks are reduced to a minimum as reasonably practicable?

Has the safety management system, risk assessments, other critical documents and the implementation of them been independently verified by a competent third-party?

I could go on, but I would wager the answer to most if not all of the above is no, and that health and safety culture at the airport terminal building is woefully inadequate. 

I agree with much of what you have written in the above and following posts,  but does the FMEA have to take account of people flouting the rules? Hand carry = hand carry, regardless of what every else may be doing.

13 hours ago, Dr B said:

I agree with much of what you have written in the above and following posts,  but does the FMEA have to take account of people flouting the rules? Hand carry = hand carry, regardless of what every else may be doing.

The FMEA will only cover the specific travelator equipment, but it should take into account use of any baggage that it may have to handle. 

As regards to the risk assessment, it should cover ALL hazards, including those resulting from people bringing improper baggage onto travelators.

Control measures should then be applied to eliminate this altogether or reduce the risk to an acceptable level.

22 hours ago, norbra said:

I read somewhere over the weekend that the cameras were some distance from the accident area and they did not provide usable footage.

It was also mentioned that a broken wheel on her suitcase was the cause of the incident,but for me I would be pulling luggage with a broken wheel not trying to keep it under control it in front of me

Yes, the article also mentioned that, but AOT still don't want to give the camera file to the police, so they can judge themselves that it's useless...:whistling: