Harrowing traffic accident in Kamphaeng Phet sees 4-vehicle collision (video)

webfact

3 hours ago, Ginner said:

Looks to me, no matter where the red pickup went, the motorbike rider was determined to go in front of it.

Sure, the motorbike rider is wrong. However, do you see any slowing down from the pick-up. The only thing I see is a panic maneuver. If slowing down, there is another lane with another motorbike rider. However, slowing down and turning into that lane means that rider has time to get away.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kennw said:

Motorbike crossing the road across double lines 90 degrees to traffic flow total idiot Som nam na. Hope the other victims were not badly hurt

You seem like a jolly guy, that wish all people good luck in life. 

One thing I have never got used to is all these motorcycle riders look at you approaching and then pull out anyway for you to slow down.

Cars are much the same which annoys the sh7t out of me.

Why even bother looking to see if I am approaching if you don't give a fu7k and are going to pull straight out anyway?

It's as if the do not have an adequate driviing test.

• Like 1

Maybe have a vehicle and/or driver inspection on these pop up police stops?  Start grounding some of these vehicles/drivers that shouldn't be on the roads.  I know, I know some of you are saying that would be most of them, but you have to start somewhere.  They could tighten by inspecting the vehicles at yearly registrations and make sure the drivers can pass driver competency testing when they get their licenses and license renewals. 

Again, I know some of you are going to say TIT but steps have to be taken if they really want to reduce deaths on the highways in Thailand.  You can't wish it away. 

This was a needless tragedy that could have been avoided if proper training for the drivers were applied.

Edited by waders123
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, tgw said:

wrong.

they see them, they are just too lazy to drive properly.

all starts with that motorcycle driver crossing the road like a compleat fool, counting on cars to avoid him.

this is very common in Thailand, sometimes they don't even bother looking before turning on a road.

I guess the red pickup driver expected the motorcycle to stop on that white crisscross line to let priority traffic pass, but then it doesn't and the red pickup trying to avoid the motorcycle at the last minute then causes the rest of the mayhem. should not have tried to avoid the motorcycle.

one day I was waiting at a T-intersection for a safe opportunity to turn onto the main road, when on my right a Thai guy with a sidecar stopped too and waited. he looked directly at an oncoming car (like 50-60 meters away) and then he took off, the collision was unavoidable. I couldn't believe my eyes.

While the cyclist was an idiot, I put more blame on the truck. He should have slowed down enough to assess the situation.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

The motorbike is using a common strategy for crossing the road in Thailand where they inch out into traffic and let the oncoming traffic avoid them. This is also the same technique dogs use (sneaky and no one will notice!) and is the concept behind the classic arcade game Frogger.

Exactly!  I also use the Frogger Maneuvre frequently here.  The key words here are "inch out."  The motorcycle was too aggressive here.  I always take shelter behind another vehicle when possible, and if not, then I make damned sure that cars see me and are responding as I expect before going in front of them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, the motorbike rider is wrong. However, do you see any slowing down from the pick-up. The only thing I see is a panic maneuver. If slowing down, there is another lane with another motorbike rider. However, slowing down and turning into that lane means that rider has time to get away.

The pickup probably expected him to continue into the center divider and get out of the way.  This assumption cost him a crucial second he needed.  This is why I'm very defensive when I drive here. If I were the motorbike, I would have waited longer.  If I were the pickup, I would have been slowing down as soon as I saw the motorbike at the side of the road.  I assume everyone is out to get me.  Since neither person here gave any margin for error, the errors were not correctable. 

On 7/4/2023 at 10:37 PM, kwak250 said:

One thing I have never got used to is all these motorcycle riders look at you approaching and then pull out anyway for you to slow down.

Cars are much the same which annoys the sh7t out of me.

Why even bother looking to see if I am approaching if you don't give a fu7k and are going to pull straight out anyway?

It's as if the do not have an adequate driviing test.

My thought always was they are calculating if it is safe to pull out....but take so long to think, by the time the decide they will, it isn't!

• 2 weeks later...