Do I have to pay the Pu Yai Baan to come to the Amphur with me?

stubuzz

I have an appointment at the Amphur to get a yellow book and they requested that the Pu Yai Bann comes along. I have never met him and the Amphur gave me his mobile number. Now, do i need to pay him for this service?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's a paid public servant. The headman is always on the take and on the make. You decide wether or not he deserves a drink or not, wether you want to buy into the corrupt system. Will you need his assistance in the future?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, FaltuMora said:

Instead of asking how much should I pay him, he is asking do I have to  pay? As if it's his birth right to come to Thailand for a bride and the village head person is his personal service provider. 

Not too sure of your angle .. I bought land for my wife to build a house in the headman's village. The guy has always got his hand out collecting for some thing or another - a stage for a concert or some Loy kratong event, all involve large speakers that vibrate the windows until 2.00 am. I pay for the water I take from the village water supply, even tho I had to buy my own pipes, I pay my subs for the garbage collection. Not too sure why I would pay him for anything else, the guy is paid by the government.

25 minutes ago, recom273 said:

He's a paid public servant. The headman is always on the take and on the make. You decide wether or not he deserves a drink or not, wether you want to buy into the corrupt system. Will you need his assistance in the future?

Quite possibly, but who knows. 

A bottle of Sang Som is only Bht 320.

OK, so he only likes Glenfiddich!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Our village head man has a shop next door to my Mrs. He is most knowledgeable and helpful and works very long hours for the community. Meetings almost everyday until late. Not something many people would want to do. He certainly deserves whatever money and goods people give him.

Good post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tomacht8 said:

Pay him for his time. Especially if you don't know him, take the opportunity to get to know the village boss. Who knows when you might need his help again in the future. Pujai bans are often the village elders and elected private individuals from the village, in contrast to the Obotor who is a government employee.

Definitely! Haven't heard the term 'Obotor' previously. My Mrs refers to a guy she calls 'The Prefect'. He was wearing a gold chain on one occasion. Once we were in the same restaurant and when we came to settle our bill the owner told us; 'No need, the Prefect paid for you'. Apparently, he was impressed that I am the only foreign blood donor at our local collection sessions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

At least you should offer him to compensate him for his expenses and time.

What? He is payed by the government. The same part of the government that asks the op to bring him with to witness official business..

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Definitely! Haven't heard the term 'Obotor' previously. My Mrs refers to a guy she calls 'The Prefect'. He was wearing a gold chain on one occasion. Once we were in the same restaurant and when we came to settle our bill the owner told us; 'No need, the Prefect paid for you'. Apparently, he was impressed that I am the only foreign blood donor at our local collection sessions.

That was maybe the Kamnan.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Now, do i need to pay him for this service?

That would be normal kind practice. Depending of the time spend, transport to Amphor-office and location of village the amount can be from a few hundred baht to one thousand baht. If you have a Thai partner, ask what would be normal in your area.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

it would seem that these varying govt positions have different titles in different parts of the country.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, stubuzz said:

I have an appointment at the Amphur to get a yellow book and they requested that the Pu Yai Bann comes along. I have never met him and the Amphur gave me his mobile number. Now, do i need to pay him for this service?

I paid mine 300 baht for his time and trouble, especially if the Amphur asks for him to be there, go on the safe side.

You don't strictly need them for this service, No. But if they have requested his presence I wouldn't rock the boat.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Elkski said:

Wasted part of my life.   What sort would post this?  It's a valid question.  

First off do the rules really require a pu yai to be there?  Or is this just another Thailand scam?

Do not mind these kind of stupid ignorant people..... This Po yai Ban is the elected village cheif, and if you can get him to Amphue he will do it because you show him respect and that he consider you to be a proper human being.... I myself suggest that you ask you wife or girlfriend if she can check it out a bit, and it will be just fine....

Good luck