My marriage is heading south. Dont know what to do.

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

English translators can be well paid.

Translators do not make much, and are making less all the time with AI. Perhaps you meant interpreters?

All top doctors, lawyers and dentists speak good English.

No one is passing chemistry or physics without strong math proficiency, and you have to do very well in math to get into a rigorous discipline at a decent school.

Computers do math for you. English is fat more practical in modern world.

Assuming you mean far more practical, yes? Again, the child being immersed in English from birth should take care of English is the father puts any effort into it. 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Translators do not make much, and are making less all the time with AI. Perhaps you meant interpreters?

No one is passing chemistry or physics without strong math proficiency, and you have to do very well in math to get into a rigorous discipline at a decent school.

Assuming you mean far more practical, yes? Again, the child being immersed in English from birth should take care of English is the father puts any effort into it. 

Winning a math quiz at age 10 does nothing. Bordering upon child abuse to force a 10yo to study 4.5 hrs a day.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I greatly respect you for your approach to what you are dealing with. I don’t think there is a counselor alive who could give you sound advice in this situation.

Most councellors would understand that pushing a child too hard is counterproductive and will produce the opposite result. They will soon start to resent school and learning.

I remember when I was under 10 years old my mother forced me to take piano lessons. I absolutely hated every moment of it. It was torture. For many years I hated Thursdays as that was the day of my lessons. I never discussed this with my mother - just suffered in silence as any obedient child would.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like normal for Asian child that has (a) parent(s) wanting them to succeed in life and be able to support them in old age.

Perhaps she doesn't want the boy to end up working in 7 11 or some dead end job, and is doing what she believes is in the interest of the child's future.

IMO if the OP doesn't like what is happening shouldn't have had the kid and probably shouldn't have married her- it's not his culture.

IMO too many farang guys move to Thailand and marry, have a kid etc without making any attempt to understand the culture.

IMO till farangs understand they are not living in THEIR culture this sort of problem will just keep on keeping on.

It's 50/50.

She married a foreigner too. And they have a kid together.

It's illogical to say that the farang has to blindly accept local culture especially when it's a detrimental aspect of it.

And, btw, this high pressure education thing is not actually Thai culture; she's just a pig headed "mother" with a big ego.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How much is the mother making? Perhaps she should get a better job.

I'll never understand why parents don't just invest in assets for their own future financial security and the financial security of their child, rather than pushing education so hard.

The kid would be better served with a few rental properties in his name than a physics degree he doesn't want.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You're right of course, math is a waste of time. My bad. 

Unless you want to be a schoolteacher, math is pretty worthless in Thailand IMHO.

I know posters on this forum love STEM, but all the jobs are low paid.

My misses wants to send our 12yo son to private school, but I can't see him being all that keen on a 3hr van journey with a maniac driver every day.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Most councellors would understand that pushing a child too hard is counterproductive and will produce the opposite result. They will soon start to resent school and learning.

I remember when I was under 10 years old my mother forced me to take piano lessons. I absolutely hated every moment of it. It was torture. For many years I hated Thursdays as that was the day of my lessons. I never discussed this with my mother - just suffered in silence as any obedient child would.

My sisters hated it also, but they all love playing now, and are happy they did. 

You suffered in silence to please your mother as a good son should. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Look at it another way,how many kids spent all hours out of school

playing some stupid game?

At least your daughter is learning something useful.

The younger kids are the easier they learn as far as language is concerned,i am not sure about math.

You have to keep a close eye on your child.

A lot of learning is good,too much is not good.

That is your job to figure out.

I understand in Thailand if a child does well it gives the parents face,not easy to deal with.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, FruitPudding said:

I'll never understand why parents don't just invest in assets for their own future financial security and the financial security of their child, rather than pushing education so hard.

The kid would be better served with a few rental properties in his name than a physics degree he doesn't want.

Exactly. Parents don't listen though. I told my parents don't give money or gifts but invest in company xyz. They didn't listen. XYZ is now worth 20x as much. Idiots.

12 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

I feel your pain brother.

i also want out of this hell hole

Do you have a GoFundMe page? ????????Wonder how much we need for a leaky boat? Not sure why anyone would want to leave paradise, but we are here to help.

• Haha 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Unless you want to be a schoolteacher, math is pretty worthless in Thailand IMHO.

Or unless you want to be a doctor, physicist, chemist, engineer, dentist or scientist of any kind. 

And the public was better versed in math, there would be fewer loan-sharks, and government could not get away with so many boneheaded schemes. 

27 minutes ago, bogs smith said:

I feel your pain brother.

i also want out of this hell hole

Then go "brother", You have your own thread, "I think I am having a nervous breakdown" that you started an hour ago where you said you are drinking yourself into oblivion. Be better to just go as has been suggested. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Yeah, the children of wealthy people that are given everything they want most always turn out better than that kids that have to work for it. 

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Or unless you want to be a doctor, physicist, chemist, engineer, dentist or scientist of any kind. 

And the public was better versed in math, there would be fewer loan-sharks, and government could not get away with so many boneheaded schemes. 

Doctor and Dentist are the high paying jobs in your list, and you don't need much math for those.

My kid in the UK went that route, Chemistry, Biology, Math, English Lit were what she required.

The university was more interested in a broad education than math skills (hence the English Lit).

Physicist. Chemist, Engineer, scientist would be lucky to earn 25kbht/month in Thailand. Better off studying Political Science to get a government job.

Why make the effort only to be able to get a low paid job?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Dentist are the high paying jobs in your list, and you don't need much math for those.

Agreed!!

You just need to be able to count up th 32, anything more than that can only cause problems, 

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Please explain how math is useful to 99.9% of the population?

19 minutes ago, jvs said:

Look at it another way,how many kids spent all hours out of school

playing some stupid game?

At least your daughter is learning something useful.

You took that out of context,you used "99.9 %" that is math also right?

9 minutes ago, jvs said:

You took that out of context,you used "99.9 %" that is math also right?

Yes, but I started out as a lowly paid math teacher.

Moving out of Math instantly doubled my salary.

One of the things that really annoys me about many posters .........

They have no idea what qualifications are required for most jobs, and no idea about the wage those jobs bring in.

India trains millions of STEM graduates, and they will all work cheaper than people from other countries.

Hence most STEM jobs being very lowly paid.

So you made all that study effort for nothing.

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Please explain how math is useful to 99.9% of the population?

I've forgotten most of the advanced math I learnt. Computers do it. Sales skills, dealing with difficult people far more useful. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, but I started out as a lowly paid math teacher.

Moving out of Math instantly doubled my salary.

One of the things that really annoys me about many posters .........

They have no idea what qualifications are required for most jobs, and no idea about the wage those jobs bring in.

India trains millions of STEM graduates, and they will all work cheaper than people from other countries.

Hence most STEM jobs being very lowly paid.

So you made all that study effort for nothing.

Indians.thumb.jpg.42cd81bbedc2e6c79236f13cc11651c9.jpg

40 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, the children of wealthy people that are given everything they want most always turn out better than that kids that have to work for it. 

Most workers achieve zip. Investing works better than 99% of jobs. Had you bought Amazon shares for the kid (say $1000 a month over 18 years) wow that's a nice 18th birthday present. Kid has an asset. Worth more than a certificate from a maths quiz at age 10

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

I've forgotten most of the advanced math I learnt. Computers do it. Sales skills, dealing with difficult people far more useful. 

I forgot Fourier Analysis and Laplace Transforms the moment I finished the exams.

Edited by BritManToo