My marriage is heading south. Dont know what to do.

Ive been married near 10 yrs. We have a child under 10 who's in one of the competitive Maths programs at a govt' primary school.

I cannot believe how much homework and tests that my child has to endure. Its causing a lot of tension because I dont like seeing my kid getting woken up by my pushy wife at 530am and going to bed a 940pm tonight. So many hours of homework and questions to do from basically 5pm to 930pm tonight. Both of them are stressed by this stage of the night and I feel sorry for my child actually. 

I dont know if I can cope with years of this BS to come. 

If we divorce I worry about leaving my child alone with my wife who doesnt seem to care about the fact that a child that age needs 9 to 10 hours sleep. Im the one cooking healthy meals and if I go away my child lives off grab deliveries. 

My wife will not listen to me at all about these matters. I feel lonely in this marriage. My wife only cares about my childs success at school. 

The only thing that would save our marriage and sanity, in general, is if my child moves out of the program into a normal class. But cant see the wife allowing this. 

In summary, my wife is so caught up in her ambition for my child to succeed and be n.o 1 that she fails to see that its stressing everyone out and will probably be detrimental to our marriage that she doesnt seem to care about. 

If we finish we have to sell assets etc. Its would all be quite difficult. I would not know what to do with myself. Wondering if I should leave Thailand. I feel they both dont value my presence in this family anyway. 

Edited by advancebooking
  • Sad 13
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

I greatly respect you for your approach to what you are dealing with. I don’t think there is a counselor alive who could give you sound advice in this situation.

He isn't the op.

2 hours ago, advancebooking said:

I dont know if I can cope with years of this BS to come. 

How is your child coping? 

My kid embraces school and the hours are the same for the other students too. That said, I complain about the hours... she is tired all of the time - I hate to see her that way and I do not think it conducive to learning, but she is learning more and having fun less... 

• Like 1

Feel for you bro...one issue with my g/f is her bullheaded stubborness when she gets an idea in her head...

Try and work it through with a therapist (?) before spilitting soley due to that....

Think of the kid.

You are talking about splitting and leaving the country on this one issue.

OR

at least lay this out as your next most likely step to the wife aka your 'Trump card' ....especially if she cannot support the kid in this intense extra study/house costs...

• Like 1

No kid should have pressure like this at such a young age. It isn't healthy. I would let my wife know that it's more important to have a happy, healthy, stress free childhood then an overambitious race to the best university, prestigious career. 

Man, if one unreasonable parent is running the show then it's NEVER going to work. The one reasonable parent MUST take charge and if they cannot then IT'S OVER. Ideally both parents should be on the same sheet of music, but that's never going to happen in Thailand. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You have a point.

And in a way it is good when the mother looks that the child gets a good education.

But there is something like too much learning.

For proper development kids also have to play with friends and alone. And when kids didn't have that over the years when they develop nothing can make those kids "healthy normal" again.

He should try to find a solution where the kid learns and plays. 

I agree in a perfect world, but we don't live in a perfect world.

Way back ( many many years ago ) when I lived in Singapore, every year when the exam results came out, some students that failed were jumping off the high rises because they had no future.

The OP, IMO, comes down to a clash of culture, and the OP isn't living in HIS culture.

IMO by trying to stop his kid getting educational success she thinks he is working against the interests of the kid ( and her ) and it's not going to end well for him if he persists.

IMO if he really can't take it he needs to leave both and not make the same mistake again.

Just now, RichardColeman said:

I have never found that to be true - they mostly listen and then do the opposite !

I never told my wife what to do as I knew it would be a waste of time.

The most I did was offer advice which she never took any notice of anyway.

However, I didn't marry her to be telling her what to do.

• Like 1