My marriage is heading south. Dont know what to do.

On 7/10/2023 at 7:56 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO technology doesn't change anyone, it just allows people to say things they'd never say to someone they could say.

Eg I can say how I feel about women without being crucified, or burnt at the stake.

However some technology is really  bad like, IMO, social media, which allows the worst in people to influence the weak minded.

If I had children I'd never let them have a smart phone as they might get bullied on it and kill themselves ( worst scenario ), but seems an awful lot of kids get traumatised because their parents give them smart phones.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. I have told my wife and child no iphone until 15 yrs old. When I pick up my kid from school I see many thai kids (young) holding phones staring down at them whilst they are walking along. Already addicted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. I have told my wife and child no iphone until 15 yrs old. When I pick up my kid from school I see many thai kids (young) holding phones staring down at them whilst they are walking along. Already addicted. 

even more worrying when you see their heads buried in their phones as they cross the road, or when riding a motorbike 

No need to buy them an actual I phone either, the cheapest "smart phone" is perfectly adequate for 99.9% of all people

• 4 weeks later...

Typical advice here - paying someone to do what you say isn't a relationship, it's employment. Threatening people into submission also isn't a relationship, it's a dictatorship.

OP - You're sweating the load over a very temporary issue. Your kid, if truly gifted, will soon be smarter than both the mother and the teachers. (especially in a government school)

IF your kid is truly gifted then you should start looking into better, private schools where he/she can excel. Introduce him/her to games like Sudoku. See if he/she displays any interest in something like robotics or mechanical design or even computer programing that put mathematical calculations into real life use.

How's his/her English skills? Introduce him/her to books like "The Phantom Tollbooth".

Reading together and doing fun educational activities together would give you both some great quality time and relieve a lot of the stress. :wai:

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:00 PM, BritManToo said:

Please explain how math is useful to 99.9% of the population?

Unless you enjoy it, learning math as a kid is retarded. I wasted days in math classes in high school and forgot everything in the following weeks. About as useful as licking the pavement.

For example some years ago I actually needed to use trigonometry for my work and I was able to learn what I needed in an hour by reading this web page meant for kids. https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/trigonometry.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/6/2023 at 2:33 AM, NorthernRyland said:

Unless you enjoy it, learning math as a kid is retarded. I wasted days in math classes in high school and forgot everything in the following weeks. About as useful as licking the pavement.

For example some years ago I actually needed to use trigonometry for my work and I was able to learn what I needed in an hour by reading this web page meant for kids. https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/trigonometry.html

Agree. I gave up maths because the teacher was useless and have never regretted it. Algebra has nothing to do with my life.

Come to that, most of my schooling was a waste of time, and I was never prepared to spend my time studying outside school hours.

After I left school at 18 I could do basic maths in my head, speak and read English, and loved reading books.

Never held me back in the real world.

PS I certainly didn't waste 3 or 4 years in a university.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 9:33 PM, NorthernRyland said:

Dr's and dentists all around the world might disagree with you. If you dont excel at Maths you dont cut the grade for these 2 elite professions.

Just now, advancebooking said:

Dr's and dentists all around the world might disagree with you. If you dont excel at Maths you dont cut the grade for these 2 elite professions.

I'm not saying math is not desirable to learn, just saying that not everyone should be learning advanced math and especially not at a young age before you have an actual need for it. 

If you get this wrong you're wasting your kids youth, your money and making them miserable, all for literally nothing.

47 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm not saying math is not desirable to learn, just saying that not everyone should be learning advanced math and especially not at a young age before you have an actual need for it. 

If you get this wrong you're wasting your kids youth, your money and making them miserable, all for literally nothing.

What you said was: "Unless you enjoy it, learning math as a kid is retarded. I wasted days in math classes in high school and forgot everything in the following weeks. About as useful as licking the pavement." 

Now you're claiming: "I'm not saying math is not desirable to learn, just saying that not everyone should be learning advanced math and especially not at a young age before you have an actual need for it."

Waiting until they need it seems a bit silly to me. I've used it my whole life, but I imagine I never really needed it. 

I can only imagine what you consider "advanced math", but in any evert, what do you think children should be taught? 

• Haha 2

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Waiting until they need it seems a bit silly to me. I've used it my whole life, but I imagine I never really needed it. 

This is my entire point. Only if you enjoy it because you can learn math much easier as an adult when you have an actual need for it. Very few kids will enjoy math though so they should be excused.

Personally I would have thrived if they let me explore my passions, or even getting work ethic when I was 15 would have been much more valuable to me than learning math I forgot anyways.

Any possiblity that you could hire a pro tutor to work with the kid couple hours after school without wife being involved and that might calm situation ...mabye wife is horrible at trying to help with homework and just confuses the kid?

Good luck to you and the kid.  I believe that all kids should get a chance to be a kid sometimes and not have the nose to the grindstone every waking minute.

25 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

This is my entire point. Only if you enjoy it because you can learn math much easier as an adult when you have an actual need for it. Very few kids will enjoy math though so they should be excused.

Personally I would have thrived if they let me explore my passions, or even getting work ethic when I was 15 would have been much more valuable to me than learning math I forgot anyways.

So, you can't do math or answer simple questions, that explains a lot.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...