World's most boring cities

bignok

I remember when I was planning to visit Bangkok, I met a couple of British soldiers who had visited. They told me not to bother as it was boring "just" temples and prostitutes. Don't just get opinions from one source only.

2 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I remember when I was planning to visit Bangkok, I met a couple of British soldiers who had visited. They told me not to bother as it was boring "just" temples and prostitutes. Don't just get opinions from one source only.

So what did they want?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

What have you done new in the past week?

Got off my sick bed after prolonged recovery from a broken pelvis. Had a visit from some neighbor kids wanting to know how “ loong” Bill was. Learned a few things I did not previously know. Saw a few unfamiliar birds.

Some might say I’m easily amused. I just like to enjoy every day I am given on this spin of the Wheel.

7 minutes ago, bignok said:

So what did they want?

They had been based in Hong Kong, so I guess more shopping and modernity. They didn't know I love taking pictures of temples.

Just now, Purdey said:

They had been based in Hong Kong, so I guess more shopping and modernity. They didn't know I love taking pictures of temples.

Loads of malls there. Icon Siam is great. Huge food court, views on river, bars and restaurants. Rooftop bars around the city. Loads of good restaurants.

They sound clueless.

If I ever returned to Australia and had to live in a city, I'd choose Brisbane. Tried to settle there twice and only lasted six months each time before being lured to overseas jobs, first Singapore and Phoenix the second time. Phoenix, now there's a boring city.

10 minutes ago, bignok said:

Loads of malls there. Icon Siam is great. Huge food court, views on river, bars and restaurants. Rooftop bars around the city. Loads of good restaurants.

They sound clueless.

Not clueless - this was 35 years ago. Bangkok wasn't the same.

Mexico City is boring ?!?!?!?!?

He didn't even leave his hotel room.

The museums, the markets, the food, the dance, the Lucha Libre, the tequila and Mariachis, the parks, the architecture, the languages, the handicrafts, textiles, … shall I go on? Sure it’s polluted, but no worse than BKK. (Which is also a fantastic city, and similar in many ways to Mexico City.)

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

29 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Boring is a state of mind not a destination. One can be bored in a busy bar or in a bar with naked dancing girls.

Well I've been to a number of boring destinations.

Victoria BC comes to mind.

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If Philly, PA, USA, it's a great small city.  Was 25 yrs ago ????

I was driven through the Philadelphia projects about 35 years ago, almost as scary as Soweto or Harlem.

I did forget Detroit, another garden spot after the white people all moved out when the automotive industry tanked. And Los Angeles, where the locals all breathe orange soup for air.

OTOH, I really liked New Orleans, San Francisco, Portland, Houston, and San Antonio.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I was driven through the Philadelphia projects about 35 years ago, almost as scary as Soweto or Harlem.

I did forget Detroit, another garden spot after the white people all moved out when the automotive industry tanked. And Los Angeles, where the locals all breathe orange soup for air.

OTOH, I really liked New Orleans, San Francisco, Portland, Houston, and San Antonio.

Every large metro is an assembly of neighborhoods, with the good and bad. Most good thankfully with few exception.  GreekTown was cool in the Detroit Metro.  I lived in Wayne for a long winter, a real sh!thole, but minutes from the airport where I worked.   

Used to go to Ann Arbor / Uni town, for fun, and a great place.  Hard to beat the Uni neighborhoods for fun nights out.

53 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well I've been to a number of boring destinations.

Victoria BC comes to mind.

Nice small city. I wouldn't call it boring because it is not disappointing at being what it is. Big but low rise British buildings and signs of Commonwealth history. Beautiful nature and coast line. Saw an Orca whale in the sea near there. Not too far from Vancouver or Seattle. 

22 hours ago, bignok said:

I loved Vientiane. Easy to get to. Easy to walk around being very flat. Lots of bakeries and bistros due to the French influence.  Some nice old colonial architecture. At least two excellent Belgian beer bars. Fine weather most of the year.  Some nice parks. You can pay for most things in US dollars or baht. Friendly people: a couple of young monks approached me and asked me if I needed help. 

The only downside was the tuk-tuk ma.fia and maybe the lack of easy girls if you're that way inclined.

46 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Every large metro is an assembly of neighborhoods, with the good and bad. Most good thankfully with few exception.  GreekTown was cool in the Detroit Metro.  I lived in Wayne for a long winter, a real sh!thole, but minutes from the airport where I worked.   

Used to go to Ann Arbor / Uni town, for fun, and a great place.  Hard to beat the Uni neighborhoods for fun nights out.

Agree. Yangon is quite fascinating, with pagodas, temples, crazy mixed up traffic, and the slow train going around the city perimeter. Fully clothed women with the sexiest bums on the planet, IMO down to a Burmese-Indian gene mingling.

OTOH, at that perimeter is some of the most abject poverty I have ever seen.

Believe it or not, I thought Hanoi was cool.

Edited by Lacessit

Just now, still kicking said:

Perth cracks top 10 cities in the world to live while Sydney and Melbourne falter

Perth cracks top 10 cities in the world to live while Sydney and Melbourne falter (watoday.com.au)

I guess you never been there 

Lived there 3yrs for work, the only thing, that wasn't boring was my job, the best.

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Lived there 3yrs for work, the only thing, that wasn't boring was my job, the best.

I live here for 40 years plus been to Sydney, Melbourne and lived in Thailand always come back to Perth.