Civilian-led solution needed for permanent peace in the deep South

webfact

image.jpeg

The peace process to end the conflict in the strife-torn predominantly Muslim deep South would be underpinned by commitments to democratization, demilitarization, and decentralization, as well as reform of institutions and the local administration, according to the coalition parties expected to form the next government.

Move Forward and Fair, two of eight political parties in the coalition, had made it clear in public even during their election campaign that they wanted reform and restructuring, which would end the military’s role, to facilitate the return of normalcy in the deep South.

However, despite the bold intentions, the ideas for action are still sketchy. Other key parties in the coalition, notably Pheu Thai and Prachachat, have seasoned and charismatic leaders to handle the region, but they have yet to spell out their plans clearly. The two parties are unlikely to compromise on any issues on which they strongly disagree, while it hardly needs mention that the establishment elite and the military, who want to maintain the status quo, will fiercely resist the plan.

By Thai PBS World’s Political Desk

In the final of the three-part series, our Political Desk sheds some light on the plans of the eight-party coalition to push for institutional reform to bring permanent peace in the deep South.

#news

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/civilian-led-solution-needed-for-permanent-peace-in-the-deep-south/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Thumbs Up 1

One solution ... stop harboring the terrorist and report them to the police/army

Come together and stop living in fear.  Help the army rid the terrorist.  No quarter, no place to hide, make it dangerous to be terrorist.

They are extremist, and don't only attack military targets, or non Muslims.  They kill anyone, any religion, Muslims included, school kids, teachers, doctors, vendors/store owners (if doing business on Friday) as I read about that one, and just silly, religious fanatics.  

Spoils of war, history, get over it.  It's part of TH, accept or leave, rather go back to Malaysia.

• Sad 1

Military and police get extra pay for working in a “dangerous” zone. Peace means losing money. Whenever things go quiet they instigate a shooting or a burning etc to justify this extra pay. Have you heard the military/police ever come up with a plan to de-escalate? 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, khunpeer said:

this goes on for many years now! it escalated during Thaksin's regime (who's background is militairy as well) when they barged in a mosk (forgot the name) and took everyone inside in trucks, stacked up like dead bodies, several layers thick and moved them elsewhere!

stupid Thaksin thought he would clear this quickly in attack-style, but the opposite became their worst nightmare and most terrorist attacks related to thissad event...

general Chavalit even went South to make a peace offer but didn't work out. since then one attack on army vehicles, then army strikes back, no mercy...

I don't take sides but still try to see things as they are:

southern 3 provinces originally were not Thai, but in a major landdeal just used: we give you land here and I get land there... the local people were not asked a thing! and still the thai military thinks they can boss them around...

peace talks? don't make me laugh, show mutual respect first, only thèn we can negociate! I have talked to several southern locals in the past and they say that only solution would be a limited autonomy for these 3 provinces, so still under thai law, but with their own culture and habits!

if the Thai don't hurry up this could become a Israel-Palestine conflict with no trust on either side!

with overpower you cannot win this, you would only create more terrorism!

talk talk, a double dose of patience and triple dose of mutual respect seems now the only solution! 

Well, it reminds me not only on Israel-Palestine conflict but the Russian war at present. There was once in 2014 a Minsk Agreement to give autonomy to those parts where Russians live. These parts/Donbas were now occupied by Russia because Ukraine did not fulfil the treaty/agreement and subsequently did not protect/respect the Russians there but bullied them.

It depends on the Muslims and Thai Govt. how serious they would stick to any agreement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

One solution ... stop harboring the terrorist and report them to the police/army

Come together and stop living in fear.  Help the army rid the terrorist.  No quarter, no place to hide, make it dangerous to be terrorist.

They are extremist, and don't only attack military targets, or non Muslims.  They kill anyone, any religion, Muslims included, school kids, teachers, doctors, vendors/store owners (if doing business on Friday) as I read about that one, and just silly, religious fanatics.  

Spoils of war, history, get over it.  It's part of TH, accept or leave, rather go back to Malaysia.

How did that policy work for Rhodesia and South Africa? 

Yes, they have been ruined, but it's not an acceptable solution in the eyes of the world. 

I'm pro Israeli, against  Palestine, but it's not an acceptable solution in the eyes of the world. 

Also, may I kindly point out Malaysia side of the border makes Thailand look like a meth county!

M'sia side is clean, maintained, and civilized. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2023 at 5:42 AM, chalawaan said:

Give back what you wrongly took, Thailand.

Every one else has had to, yet your elites think they're above the global consensus. 

They need a proverbial boot up the jacksie that lot.

Would this thinking also apply to Jolly Old England if they hadn't/haven't been kicked out of every other country in the world already?

By your thinking, Ben & Jerry's ice-cream founders are correct and the US should be handed back over to the Indians? ????