Prediction of persistent heavy rainfall across 41 Thai provinces, with potential flash floods

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai Meteorological Department today reported forecasts of continued rainfall affecting 41 provinces, with 60% of the territories, including Bangkok, expected to experience heavy rainfall.

The tropical depression in the southwest monsoon is covering the Andaman Sea and Thailand, and the Gulf of Thailand as well. This, combined with a considerable low-pressure system based in northern Vietnam, is causing persistent rain in Thailand. As such, locals in these areas should be vigilant and prepared for potential flash floods and forest runoff.

Sizeable 1 to 2-metre high waves were reported in the upper Andaman Sea. Areas affected by thunderstorms may result in waves higher than 2 metres. In the lower Andaman Sea and the upper Gulf of Thailand, waves were reported at around 1 metre high. In areas affected by thunderstorms, these waves can rise between 1 and 2 metres. Boat operators in the upper Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman Sea are advised to exercise caution and refrain from navigation in thunderstorm-affected areas.

According to the weather forecast for Thailand today until 6am tomorrow, the following regional conditions are expected:

In the north, 60% of the region will experience thunderstorms, including Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lampoon, Lampang, Nan, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, and Tak. Minimum and maximum temperatures between 24 to 25 and 32 to 35 degrees Celsius respectively are anticipated, with southwesterly winds at speeds of 10-20 kilometres an hour.

by Nattapong Westwood 

Picture courtesy of Jean-Pierre Brungs, Unsplash

#news

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/weather/prediction-of-persistent-heavy-rainfall-across-41-thai-provinces-be-vigilant-for-potential-flash-floods-and-forest-runoff

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, WHansen said:

Why do the media do this ?

Today it's floods floods floods, tomorrow it's  drought drought drought,

Scaremongering clickbait articles in my opinion.

Answered my own question :smile:

• Love It 1

These articles seem to be guaranteed to prove to be wrong. Chiang Mai has been listed as likely to get rain so many times and yet it is ninety percent likely to be wrong. I have simply given up on giving any credence to TMD or indeed any weather app.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, WHansen said:

....pandemics....weapons of mass destruction...buildings imploding from jet fuel fire....another one just imploding for no reason....who knows??  I guess  stories about granny crossing the road all on her own dont cut it anymore. 

• Confused 1

The weather forecasting is about as much use as a one legged man in a backside kicking contest. Despite forecasts of rain and thunderstorms, my garden is looking as dry as the Gobi desert, with no significant rain in weeks. Thunderstorms are forecast for today and the sun is shining with not a cloud in the sky. My hung seaweed was a better forecasting indicator.

4 hours ago, WHansen said:

have you taken a look at some of the threads on THIS site ?     PANIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(hides under bed)  Bidens Brain!!!!!!!!!   Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

3 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Can you ask it about this weekend as I  made outdoor plans......kop khun krup

Limp seaweed is a sign of a dodgy weekend. Dry and hard? Promising. It hasn't made its mind up yet.???? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WHansen said:

Yeah. 

Makes for good copy. 

A reasoned observation will suggest that any peculiar seasonal adjunct will never be extreme......as the officialdom/media might want to present. Overthinking everything.

You don't need a a weatherman to know which way the winds blows.

The perfect twisted metaphor for these days.