Dengue fever on the rise

webfact

image.png

The Disease Control Department is warning the public about the spread of dengue fever, saying that more than 27,000 people have been infected, with 33 reported deaths, in the past six months.

According to Dr. Tares Krassanairawiwong, director general of the department, from January 1 to June 28 this year, 27,377 people were infected with the dengue fever, most of them aged between 5 and 14, followed by those aged between 15 and 24.

Most infections were reported in the south, Bangkok and the central region.

The director general said that, in June, 1,500-2,400 patients were recorded per week.

#news

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/dengue-fever-on-the-rise/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

2 hours ago, novacova said:

Deet is an insect repellent, not insecticide. 

Not even that...if I remember right, it hinders the mosquito finding the right place for drilling...it can walk on you but can't find the blood vessels.

It was a life saver when the army drafted me.....

1 minute ago, h90 said:

Not even that...if I remember right, it hinders the mosquito finding the right place for drilling...it can walk on you but can't find the blood vessels.

It was a life saver when the army drafted me.....

+1, nothing like a deet bath to keep the buggers off, and fog the camp with ddt, marvelous stuff I tell you 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, novacova said:

+1, nothing like a deet bath to keep the buggers off, and fog the camp with ddt, marvelous stuff I tell you 

and nothing worse than being in an open small "tend" in the wet clothes tired and than having a million mosquitos killing you, while the officers have closed tends with mosquito nets.....

45 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Nasty fever. Had it twice over 5 years. No antibodies were developed, funny huh?

Amazing how taste changes: regular water tasted like sewage, beer was the worst. Insomnia etc. Nasty.

According to the medical paper below:

Anti-Dengue IgM antibodies generally persist for 2–6 months ...

Significance of IgG optical density ratios (index value) in single reactive anti-Dengue virus IgG capture ELISA

So if you had dengue more than 6 months ago, the antibodies might no longer be detectable.

51 minutes ago, NativeBob said:

Nasty fever. Had it twice over 5 years. No antibodies were developed, funny huh?

Amazing how taste changes: regular water tasted like sewage, beer was the worst. Insomnia etc. Nasty.

I had about 14 years ago, encephalitis was so severe that I didn’t think I was going to make it. A neighbor brought a concoction of something or another that brought the swelling down. Certainly hope never again.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Had dengue fever in 1986 in Singapore. Scary. High fever, you can take fever depressents, don't help. Ended up a couple of days at Singapore General Hospital.

Now a 16-year old boy in our village in northern Surin province just went to the hospital with Dengue.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, nauseus said:

Infections usually increase with the wetter weather.

Yet, dengue carrying mosquitos are almost always confined to higher altitudes. 

That could change quickly with generated mutations effecting more of the population.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

That could change quickly with generated mutations effecting more of the population.

I agree.  We all should live our lives in fear!  BTW - If I get Dengue again?  It may well kill me. ????

Like "Covid,"  I don't worry about it.  I live my life.  I just commented on a thread regarding Westerner's fear of unrefrigerated food.  In your 70s and 80s?  Something is going to "Get You!"  Personally I don't get it - Westerner's fear of death.  Do I "fear death?"  Yeah - but rationally.  I'm not obsessed.  I mean, I've watched pets die.  It's a difficult process, but it's a process that we will all go though. 

What "Get's Ya?"  Something's gonna "Get Ya!"  That's just a fact of life.  I pray for a rather quick death.  Dengue?  As good of a way to go as pneumonia. 

Most of you people don't think about your own demise - do you?  You should!  Especially when you're in your 70s or 80s.

????  "I'm going to live forever!"
???? Best luck with that.  No you're not.

Culture - "acceptance" my friends.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, connda said:

I agree.  We all should live our lives in fear!  BTW - If I get Dengue again?  It may well kill me. ????

Like "Covid,"  I don't worry about it.  I live my life.  I just commented on a thread regarding Westerner's fear of unrefrigerated food.  In your 70s and 80s?  Something is going to "Get You!"  Personally I don't get it - Westerner's fear of death.  Do I "fear death?"  Yeah - but rationally.  I'm not obsessed.  I mean, I've watched pets die.  It's a difficult process, but it's a process that we will all go though. 

What "Get's Ya?"  Something's gonna "Get Ya!"  That's just a fact of life.  I pray for a rather quick death.  Dengue?  As good of a way to go as pneumonia. 

Most of you people don't think about your own demise - do you?  You should!  Especially when you're in your 70s or 80s.

Thinking about your own demise

What difference will that make ?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Never heard of that. My <deleted> got me at sea-level anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Dengue is carried by Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus mosquitoes. While one study in Indonesia found Ae. albopictus mosquitoes breeding mainly in hilly areas, most studies say both types thrive in urban areas.

Aedes albopictus Populations and Larval Habitat

Proliferation of Aedes aegypti in urban environments

Also as far as I'm aware Aedes aegypti is the more common vector anyway.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A little research shows that there are 4 main strains of Dengue, A+B and C+D. You can contract A+B several times and you may well pass it off as a mild cold. Same for C+D. If however you get a+b then get C or D, you are in trouble. In short, if you've had Dengue a few times, it might be wise to leave Asia and seek a safer cooler climate.

15 hours ago, Dario said:

Had dengue fever in 1986 in Singapore. Scary. High fever, you can take fever depressents, don't help. Ended up a couple of days at Singapore General Hospital.

Now a 16-year old boy in our village in northern Surin province just went to the hospital with Dengue.

yes I had exactly 40 degree....but paracetamol brought it down to 39 or a bit less for a few hours.

So stay in the bed with 40....eat a para...go in the office for an hour, sign whatever they hold in front of my face and go sleeping again.

Like 5 days.....than fever went down to 38 or 38.5...and than the skin part come for another week.

Than it needed a while till I was the same as before...couldn't sweat for some time.

Nasty

28 minutes ago, WashingUpagain said:

A little research shows that there are 4 main strains of Dengue, A+B and C+D. You can contract A+B several times and you may well pass it off as a mild cold. Same for C+D. If however you get a+b then get C or D, you are in trouble. In short, if you've had Dengue a few times, it might be wise to leave Asia and seek a safer cooler climate.

Very true. After being infected don't think your antibodies will protect you, the next infection could be a different strain and that is when you are likely to suffer much worse effects than the initial infection.

I caught it in Kanchanaburi on a golf trip, i also know two other people who caught it there.

Never bothered with repellant before as i very rarely got bitten but after being warned how dangerous a second infection of a different strain can be i now use OFF at dusk

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, h90 said:

Got it in Bangkok....maybe I got it in the second floor....if that is higher altitude

Quite. I got it from a bite in the ground floor toilets of a Pattaya hotel not far from the beach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand should genetically modify it's mosquitos as per guidelines set by those thoroughly trustworthy people at the WHO:

Malaria and other vector-borne diseases, including dengue and Zika, affect millions globally. More than 400 000 people a year die from malaria alone. If proven safe, effective and affordable, genetically modified vector mosquitoes could be a valuable new tool to fight these diseases and eliminate their enormous health, social and economic burden.

The guidance framework for testing genetically modified mosquitoes, developed in partnership with TDR, the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases, and the GeneConvene Global Collaborative, an initiative of the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health, describes best practices to ensure that the study and evaluation of genetically modified mosquitoes as public health tools is safe, ethical and rigorous.

WHO says..

What could possibly go wrong.? ????

15 hours ago, connda said:

In my country eggs must be ALWAYS refrigerated....from chicken to the cooking. Else it is extreme dangerous.

And of course every food poisoning, minor bacterial infection is deadly...no chance of survive and if only with doctor.

So Thailand should be extinct already.

And it is not only food, also safety belts, cholesterol, helmet on bicycle, fire insurance

11 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Thailand should genetically modify it's mosquitos as per guidelines set by those thoroughly trustworthy people at the WHO:

WHO says..

What could possibly go wrong.? ????

lets lock down...2 weeks to flatten the curve