Domestic Flights on Overstay

On an overstay (of less than 90 days) of a Visa Waiver and extension, is there any problem flying domestically?

To exit Thailand, I'd like to fly closer to a land border and cross by bus.

Has anyone been through this recently?

• Haha 2

For me, a short flight to Phnom Penh and back was better than a land border crossing after a long minibus ride. It might be a little more expensive than a domestic flight plus bus ride, but for me it was more comfortable. I would also spend a few days holiday in Cambodia rather than just doing a one day border hop. But even flying out and back in too often you risk getting questioned by Thai IO when returning. I got pulled over for 30 minutes of questioning the last time I returned with my Thai partner from Cambodia just before covid arrived. Too many 6 month METV's he said. Get a proper visa he said. Get married he said. I asked the young IO if he was married. He said no way and let me through. :welcomeani:

Edited by Dexxter

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

I'd say the bus ride in a border area is a much bigger risk than a domestic flight.

You should consider flying out instead of leaving overland. 

This. It's not unheard of for Immigration and police to come onto a bus and check passports. 

Surprised to see someone on overstay trying to leave at a border crossing instead of from an International airport where they are at least set up for surrendering passengers

As for the overstay it must be over 50 days by now as OP said in earlier thread he arrived early Feb (45 days exempt) + 30 day extension. Wouldn't 50+ days overstay make it even harder to exit by land border (compared to someone with a couple of days mistake)?

Hoping good luck to the OP

Edited by Pattaya57

30 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Wouldn't 50+ days overstay make it even harder to exit by land border (compared to someone with a couple of days mistake)?

Definitely. There's a very good chance that they wouldn't let you exit at a land border with such a long overstay.

This ain't 2015 anymore.

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

Trying to leave by land with any overstay of more than a few days is inadvisable. Immigration may well refuse to process the overstay, and tell you to leave by air. That is apart from a slight risk at roadblocks near the border. To answer your question directly, the domestic flight itself involves virtually zero risk.

I have never been asked to produce anything at a road check other than 200 baht 5 years ago for a window disc which was 8 days out

• Confused 2