Passenger numbers on Yellow Line train drop now fares are being charged

snoop1130

Originally-from-7-1.png

Fewer passengers are using the Yellow Line train service, from Lat Phrao to Samrong in Samut Prakan province, since the operator, Eastern Bangkok Monorail Company Limited (EBM), started charging passengers on Monday.

According to the Department of Rail, the number has dropped to an average of between 30,000 and 40,000 per trip between end stations since EBM started charging the passengers, compared to up to 92,000 passengers per trip recorded on June 30th, during the free trial period, which began on June 3rd.

During rush hours, the train leaves every five minutes and every ten minutes during off-peak hours.  The entire distance is 30.4km, covering 23 stations. There are two parking lots, at Sri Iam and Lat Phrao stations.

#news

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/passenger-numbers-on-yellow-line-train-drop-now-fares-are-being-charged/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

If they go every five/10 minutes, and there's 30,000-40,000 people per trip from start to finish, isn't that 30,000-40,000 customers every five minutes during peak and every 10 minutes during off-peak?

I would imagine that's still a hefty chunk of change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think they ordered 28 or 30 Four-Car sets.

How many have been delivered? Other than the paint job can they plug/play rolling stock with the Pink Line?

How much will this line lose per month?

The green line operator is owed what, 78.83 BILLION Baht. The airport rail link is losing 70 MILLION Baht per month.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/economy/40029112

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40028026

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Related: I have ridden the train, which starts near where I live in SP but goes nowhere I want to go. That apart, the ride - ie comfort, suspension etc - is appalling; non-stop bump-thump. I have used monorails in plenty of places, as well as all the options here, and this is awful.

Anyone else think it's unacceptable?

13 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I think they ordered 28 or 30 Four-Car sets.

How many have been delivered? Other than the paint job can they plug/play rolling stock with the Pink Line?

How much will this line lose per month?

The green line operator is owed what, 78.83 BILLION Baht. The airport rail link is losing 70 MILLION Baht per month.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/economy/40029112

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40028026

Pink line is not monorail.

How much would it lose? What do you care? If everything that is subsidized by government got scrapped, you'd be pushed back in the stone age.

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Construction obstacles prompt rail routes delay

Ouch I'm colour blind today! Mixed it up with purple line ????

Thank you for correcting, Crossy and apologies for causing the confusion before.

PINK ... PURPLE ... same same but different...

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

PINK ... PURPLE ... same same but different...

Begins with a P ???? 

I really wish the lines had numbers as well as colours, there is forever confusion between the Light Green and Dark Green.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

'Nuff said.

I think the Pink and Yellow lines use the same rolling stock. Hence my question.

54 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

How much would it lose? What do you care? If everything that is subsidized by government got scrapped, you'd be pushed back in the stone age.

I care because eventually someone has to pay. I agree that fares need to be subsidized by the government. But so far that hasn't happened. BMA doesn't have the budget. And the Prayut regime let this problem slide forever, and just this week passed it off to the "next" government.

15 hours ago, isaanistical said:

30,000 passengers per TRIP???

Nonsense. The equivalent of a good-size sports stadium crowd on a single four-car train? No way.

Per day? Just possiblz.

That would include people getting on and off at every stop.

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

That would include people getting on and off at every stop.

Approx 20 seats and 100 max standing per car. If they ALL got off and refilled at every stop on the line - pretty unlikely - it would be no more than 10,560 per trip. The numbers are nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's doing about 30k passenger trips per day.

Someone got their terminology wrong ????

Yes, the rolling stock is identical on the two lines. In fact, all the systems are identical on the two lines.

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

'Nuff said.

I think the Pink and Yellow lines use the same rolling stock. Hence my question.

I care because eventually someone has to pay. I agree that fares need to be subsidized by the government. But so far that hasn't happened. BMA doesn't have the budget. And the Prayut regime let this problem slide forever, and just this week passed it off to the "next" government.

My colour perception already got corrected by Crossy, apologies for causing confusion. And yes, they do look same and probably are.

As for the rest I can agree. Public transport should be subsidized so people can afford it. And yes, the governments should top up the difference. But then again, if you look at amounts embezzled and stolen through corruption, you could run trains for free for a century...

On 7/6/2023 at 8:39 PM, isaanistical said:

Related: I have ridden the train, which starts near where I live in SP but goes nowhere I want to go. That apart, the ride - ie comfort, suspension etc - is appalling; non-stop bump-thump. I have used monorails in plenty of places, as well as all the options here, and this is awful.

Anyone else think it's unacceptable?

I think "unacceptable" is taking it a bit far, but yes, it is bumpy, much bumpier than I expected it to be.

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I think "unacceptable" is taking it a bit far, but yes, it is bumpy, much bumpier than I expected it to be.

Maybe it needs to be "broken in"? ????

And it will be smooth as silk in no time.

Unlike the axel seat on the songthaew, at least you're riding in cool, aircon comfort, and not getting wet.

I did find it quite cheapish, rinky-dink, bumpy AF, a bare step up from the "Gold Line" (compared, yes I know that's not 'fair', to the heavier duty BTS and MRT). Is it better than nothing? Heck yeah. So, yes, it's acceptable. Now, which ticket do I need to post here?

The ticketing thing is a gigantic black-eye, what doofii can't fix this?

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Maybe it needs to be "broken in"? ????

And it will be smooth as silk in no time.

Unlike the axel seat on the songthaew, at least you're riding in cool, aircon comfort, and not getting wet.

I did find it quite cheapish, rinky-dink, bumpy AF, a bare step up from the "Gold Line" (compared, yes I know that's not 'fair', to the heavier duty BTS and MRT). Is it better than nothing? Heck yeah. So, yes, it's acceptable. Now, which ticket do I need to post here?

There was a monorail in India which opened and was very bumpy, but they fixed it by grinding the guide rails as they were uneven. I wonder if something similar will be done here?

https://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-bumps-on-monorail-track-to-go-1811358

Overall I like the yellow line though.

On 7/7/2023 at 8:36 AM, tomazbodner said:

you are incorrect,  the Pink Line is Monorail

49 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

There was a monorail in India which opened and was very bumpy, but they fixed it by grinding the guide rails as they were uneven. I wonder if something similar will be done here?

https://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-bumps-on-monorail-track-to-go-1811358

Overall I like the yellow line though.

yes ,   I already posted about this on a recent Yellow-line thread,  when it first opened.   India did fix the problem but it took several months,  I suspect this bumpy issue here is similar.    imo

On 7/8/2023 at 6:59 PM, bamnutsak said:

Just seen this. What do you mean? During the free "test" period I used my Rabbit card a la BTS. Are you saying that is now history? (You may be talking about the train crash that is the non-availability of an Octopus/Opal style onecard system).

Given I can get from Samrong to On Nut for fifteen baht, and thence to places I want to go, I don't plan to use Yellow Line at all, but it would be nice to know. I could not understand anyway why Rabbit card might work on Yellow but not on MRT.