Over 19,000 fire extinguishers in Bangkok need to be replaced

snoop1130

fire.jpg

More than 19,000 of the 44,000 fire extinguishers, distributed by Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to communities, district offices, volunteer units and public disaster prevention and mitigation offices in the capital, are in a bad condition and need to be replaced.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Tavida Kamolvej said city officials checked all the fire extinguishers, to make sure that they are safe and in working condition, after an accident in early June at Rachawinit School, in which one student was killed and several others were injured when a fire extinguisher burst during a fire drill.

She said all the extinguishers found to be in a poor condition have been recalled and are being sent to the BMA’s Office of Environment to be destroyed.

#news

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/over-19000-fire-extinguishers-in-bangkok-need-to-be-replaced/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

More than 19,000 of the 44,000 fire extinguishers, distributed by Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to communities, district offices, volunteer units and public disaster prevention and mitigation offices in the capital, are in a bad condition and need to be replaced

Safety first Thailand.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Like the moving walkway incident, this also smacks of Poor Maintenance and zero responsibility for peoples safety.

when will Thailand learn prevention is far easier than a cure, operating licences and safety precautions always outweigh usefulness and in this case a child DIED . Cost incalculable, responsibility ...ZERO.

• Like 1

preventive maintenance non existent here... recent accident at the Don Muang airport escalator comes to mind

Leg lost in transit: Thai professor reveals investigation into escalator accident at Bangkok airport

Edited by Mavideol

12 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I got mine refilled and serviced at the Pattaya firestation. It's a lot more economical if it's possible.

Great advice.It never occured to me that was possible.I wouldn't know where else to look in Pattaya. What was the fee?

43 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Great advice.It never occured to me that was possible.I wouldn't know where else to look in Pattaya. What was the fee?

I can't remember exactly. I think maybe a couple of hundred baht per unit but I only have small ones for my house. Kitchen, wooden rooms etc. In the firestation there's an area with equipment outside and a door nearby. That's where I asked if they could do it. They were very friendly. I guess some pocket money for them, and they did a good job from what I could see.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, jaideedave said:

PreviousIy I've worked as a Safety Officer in the O&G industry for a couple years..ABC Fire extinguishers should all have a tag on them indicating the date of the last inspection along with the company doing this.It's a cronic problem getting them retested/refilled offshore because of logistics.I believe they empty them and pressure test and refill/recharge. But this is TIT and that costs money. They don't necessarily have to be discarded though.I did take a couple dry powder expired ones to use as a demo for the local Iranian lads and set them off...they were amazed at how few seconds they actually are usefiul for. Kind of funny as they thought they were good to go for 5-7 minutes.lol     

Ditto,

worked in UK Rail Industry 30+ years delivered Fire Safety Training, same as above all extinguishers labelled up dated of test/Inspection  - & who by (our own or outside Co) with a Seal tag intact. We had our own Service Centre to Test/Re-fill/Re-Cert and yes old out of date ones some we would use for Demo/Practical traning. Dry Powder always give a Good shake before use lol... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Not surprising.

When I went for offshore fire team training in Laem Chabang back in 2016, one of the other guys on the course spotted the fire extinguishers at the accommodation building we were staying in had not been checked for six months! 

To be honest you would have been better off throwing the extinguisher at the fire, given the state of it.

This is an internationally approved training centre btw. ????

Yeah, I suspect the one I bought for the Mrs' outdoor, Thai style kitchen many years ago could do with replacing. It  has been a door-stop for a long time.. not even sure she knows what it is!