I could live on a cruise ship for 3 years at $30,000 per year, could you ?

steven100

I don't think I could spend one w e e k on a cruise ship even for free unless it was absolutely necessary for some weird reason like maybe escaping conflict or invasion or something.

Though a cabin on a cargo ship to travel from Europe to Asia via Piraeus and Singapore might be interesting.

When there is a chronic diarrhea outbreak everyone else get to leave.  You get to breathe it in 24/7.  I'll pass.  I don't like being surrounded by buffalos with feedbags on either.  I invest heavily in the cruise industry and earnings are up on average 130% over the past 12 months among the big three because I know they rake in money and thanks to COVID bargain prices I will triple.my money but you wouldn't find me dead on one of those things.

RCL+192%

NCL +92%

CCL +103%

Screenshot_2023-07-13-15-53-42-157_com.fusionmedia.investing-edit.jpg

Edited by LikeItHot
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

That was around 2006. Now they have gone downhill and hire mediocre acts.

cirque du soleil probably isn't cheap.

but the point is ... do you need or want to be entertained every single night? 

i don't. i'm more of an introvert. and i don't think i would like being surrounded by thousands of people constantly either.

this is not for me. i might have a nervous breakdown on these ships. 

Edited by save the frogs

26 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Translate into English?

OK, no problem:

"After years of decline, norovirus outbreaks surge on cruise ships.

Transmission often occurs in crowded environments where tiny particles can float through the air, and Schaffner says cruises can create the perfect environment for norovirus outbreaks. A large group living and eating in proximity, he said, can serve as a breeding ground for the disease."

(CNN Health, https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/11/health/norovirus-outbreaks-cruise-ships-wellness/index.html)

"Norovirus, sometimes referred to as the winter vomiting disease, is the most common cause of gastroenteritis.[1][6] Infection is characterized by non-bloody diarrheavomiting, and stomach pain.[2][3] Fever or headaches may also occur." (Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus)

Due to risk of transmission of various contagious illnesses, I would think twice about spending THREE YEARS aboard a ship with thousands of people coming and going from many parts of the world.

I am not a germaphobe, but I don't get much pleasure from being "laid up" in bed.

• Haha 1

This is really just a "zero dollar tour".  At ports of call you will be conducted to shops which pay kickbacks for purchases to the tour company.  You will be pressured to buy this, that and the other thing......  Tips, food, drinks, laundry......  I'd be very surprised if you got away with spending less than 60k per year or more.  They have already had one ship pull out.   Ships take maintenance.  What are you going to do when they are in dry dock?  What about some sort of ship fault at sea?  What if the ship becomes unable to continue?  What if the tour company goes broke and you are way out past Arsebite Island and they say "Well, we are sorry, but you all have to go home now."  Think you are going to get transport home or a refund.  This whole idea smells like dead fish.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, xeniv23 said:

This is really just a "zero dollar tour".  At ports of call you will be conducted to shops which pay kickbacks for purchases to the tour company.  You will be pressured to buy this, that and the other thing......  Tips, food, drinks, laundry......  I'd be very surprised if you got away with spending less than 60k per year or more.  They have already had one ship pull out.   Ships take maintenance.  What are you going to do when they are in dry dock?  What about some sort of ship fault at sea?  What if the ship becomes unable to continue?  What if the tour company goes broke and you are way out past Arsebite Island and they say "Well, we are sorry, but you all have to go home now."  Think you are going to get transport home or a refund.  This whole idea smells like dead fish.  

What if a meteor destroys the Earth?

On 7/11/2023 at 11:41 PM, worgeordie said:

No way , the 2 times I remember been on a boat was Shark fishing off Cornwall and

on a boat in the Red sea ,collecting tropical marine fish , both times sick as a parrot ,

it did not help when the captain asked if I wanted a bacon sandwich , ????

regards  worgeordie

When i went to sea at 16 years old i was told to put a string on a potato,every time you get sick you need to smell the potato and the smell of soil(land)will keep you from throwing up!

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, jvs said:

When i went to sea at 16 years old i was told to put a string on a potato,every time you get sick you need to smell the potato and the smell of soil(land)will keep you from throwing up!

My dad always told me to just watch the horizon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/12/2023 at 1:32 AM, Hummin said:

You get bored of everything and anything after awhile. I know I would! 

I spend my 360k baht  living in Isan, and spend the rest 650k on travelling where I want to go, but not on a cruise. 

I could do it as my life would be better than it is now. Life as a pensioner sucks, and I probably spend more on surviving, as I have to have a car, which is a large expense. On board a ship no need of transport.

As my life is not much more than on the internet and movies, it wouldn't even be different, and my diet would be better. There will be a gym on the ship to stay fit, and I presume doctors and dentists.

42 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Just met a guy who worked on a cruise ship for many years.

Says he has been around the world 5 times. 

Will need to ask him to get more info about his experiences. 

I once thought of becoming a health worker on a cruise ship, but then I discovered Thailand and it became all about Thailand after that.

On 7/13/2023 at 8:40 PM, spidermike007 said:

I couldn't live on a cruise ship for one week, if it was free, and I had a huge suite. Tried it once. Never again. 

To each, his own. 

Living in a room 90% of the time is the same whether on a ship or on land.

I'd never do it as a passenger while I was working, but as  retired person with poor health I'd rather be breathing sea air than traffic fumes.

On 7/14/2023 at 1:58 PM, xeniv23 said:

This is really just a "zero dollar tour".  At ports of call you will be conducted to shops which pay kickbacks for purchases to the tour company.  You will be pressured to buy this, that and the other thing......  Tips, food, drinks, laundry......  I'd be very surprised if you got away with spending less than 60k per year or more. 

If one can't refuse to pay out on such, one must be a very weak willed person.

The food is included, if you read the OP, water is free at meals, and drip dry means one can wash one's clothes in the basin. My father used a bucket for his laundry when he lived on his yacht for years ( unfortunately it sank in a storm, or I might be living in it now ).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

you could have seen the entire world

wish i knew about it instead of being stuck in cubicles

image.png.5cc4bfac67089b731fd4c7e85f6bb9a4.png

Dilbert is great, isn't he. The author must be a genius. I used to read it every day when I read newspapers, then I got it off the internet, but something happened a few years ago and I think I wasn't able to get it on line any more. If I remember I'll check after this.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Dilbert is great, isn't he. The author must be a genius. I used to read it every day when I read newspapers, then I got it off the internet, but something happened a few years ago and I think I wasn't able to get it on line any more. If I remember I'll check after this.

Alas Adams has been cancelled, apparently in an attack by the wokies.

Dilbert will only be available by subscription.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 1

Contra-view:

1) The vast, open sea is one the greatest sights in the world and on a cruise ship you'd see plenty of it.

2) The food is like a Marriot buffet. Other than it always being warm, not hot, you'd have no complaints.

3) Unlike solo travel, you could calibrate how much sociability you'd have in your mix. lone buffet table or group dinner?

4) Possible sex adventures. People put pineapple refrigerator magnets on their front doors -indicating swinging interest. You're welcome to come on in. Life's a box of chocolates....... 

-I still wouldn't do it. The demographic leans too heavily Trump Trash. Not so in Ubud or Paris.

My one time I did it, it was swarming with Black Trump Trash. They kept getting in my face about "I'll bet you're surprised that a black man likes Trump".

I just waved them off: "Your gullibility is about you being upset that the Mexicans who swum the Rio Grande last week are zooming past you economically today".

To get on a cruise with sensitive, non-bonehead liberal people who want to explore Greenland or go to vineyards, you're talking about about $1,000 a day, not $82.

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

you could have seen the entire world

wish i knew about it instead of being stuck in cubicles

Covid though terrible in many ways was good for us office workers. I can now work from home 3 days a week. Life changing. More sleep. Less commute. When you do go it's nice and quiet. Nice.