Pita’s chance of becoming next prime minister shrinks on eve of Parliamentary vote

webfact

26 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Irrelevant....as they really don't a term because they [largely] weren't elected. 

It's far from irrelevant. The senate will be disbanded I imagine, unless it is reconstituted as an elected body.

Course, a lot depends on how much MFP, and their allies, assuming they finally make it into government with Pita at their head, wish to, and are able to, rewrite the inherited laws from the previous 9-90 years.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Irrelevant....as they really don't a term because they [largely] weren't elected. 

They are usually elected - this is why I mentioned it above.

The appointment of these senators was a one off

When the term ends there will be elections, at least for some of them but it's not clear (to me) how many.

Edited by ukrules

35 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They are usually elected - this is why I mentioned it above.

The appointment of these senators was a one off

When the term ends there will be elections, at least for some of them but it's not clear (to me) how many.

I'm not sure there are any plans for them. They will become obsolete at the end of their current term. The senate was set up by Prayut's administration. They are supposed to be non-partisan. They were all appointed by the Royal Thai military.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senate_of_Thailand

Like the dinosaurs, they will become extinct, just like that, if they haven't had the decency to fall on their swords before that.

Edited by bradiston

On 7/13/2023 at 7:50 PM, Danny Australia said:

Sad day for democracy, sad day for decency/integrity and a vey sad day for Thailand. The old dinosaurs are not letting the people of Thailand to Move Forward.

They set it up in 2017....and it was allowed to happen, maybe even voted for.