japan food safety in thailand

drkenchao

The health standards in Thailand are not good to begin with.  So I wouldn’t be concerned about fish from Japanese waters.  There are other things to watch out for. 
And the Japanese restaurants for the most part are run and owned by Thais. Not Japanese 

You can believe what they claim, or not....

IAEA Finds Japan’s Plans to Release Treated Water into the Sea at Fukushima Consistent with International Safety Standards

"An International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) safety review has concluded that Japan’s plans to release treated water stored at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station into the sea are consistent with IAEA Safety Standards.

The water stored at the FDNPS [Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station] has been treated through an Advanced Liquid Processing System (ALPS) to remove almost all radioactivity, aside from tritium. Before discharging, Japan will dilute the water to bring the tritium to below regulatory standards.

The IAEA‘s safety review will continue during the discharge phase. The Agency will also have a continuous on-site presence and provide live online monitoring on its website from the discharge facility."

(more)

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/iaea-finds-japans-plans-to-release-treated-water-into-the-sea-at-fukushima-consistent-with-international-safety-standards

Another example of why, IMHO, nuclear power is a fundamentally unsafe power source for the planet as the technology exists today... Because humans have shown a track record of failing to adequately plan for and cope with all nuclear plant problems, and the consequences have been catastrophic (e.g. Chernobyl & Fukushima). Thirty-seven years after its meltdown, the area around the Chernobyl plant remains uninhabitable.

"The Chernobyl disaster[a] was a nuclear accident that occurred on 26 April 1986 at the No. 4 reactor in the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, near the city of Pripyat in the north of the Ukrainian SSR in the Soviet Union.[1] Called the world's worst-ever civil nuclear incident,[2] it is one of only two nuclear energy accidents rated at seven—the maximum severity—on the International Nuclear Event Scale, the other being the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan. The initial emergency response, together with later decontamination of the environment, involved more than 500,000 personnel and cost an estimated 18 billion roubles—roughly US $68 billion in 2019, adjusted for inflation.[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Another example of why, IMHO, nuclear power is a fundamentally unsafe power source for the planet as the technology exists today... Because humans have shown a track record of failing to adequately plan for and cope with all nuclear plant problems, and the consequences have been catastrophic (e.g. Chernobyl & Fukushima). Thirty-seven years after its meltdown, the area around the Chernobyl plant remains uninhabitable.

There are far better fail safe designs available that use passive nuclear safety systems which require no active intervention to make safe. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stocky said:

There are far better fail safe designs available that use passive nuclear safety systems which require no active intervention to make safe. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

There's always going to be the human element for misjudgment and failure...somewhere in the process... as Chernobyl and Fukushima demonstrated. Not to mention ending up with nuclear plants stuck in the midst of war zones.

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

Untrue, current research suggests there's no evidence of harm with MSG, the US FDA says:

"The FDA considers the addition of MSG to foods to be “generally recognized as safe” (GRAS). Although many people identify themselves as sensitive to MSG, in studies with such individuals given MSG or a placebo, scientists have not been able to consistently trigger reactions."

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-additives-petitions/questions-and-answers-monosodium-glutamate-msg

It’s only a problem if you eat lots of it, same as salt.

4 hours ago, swm59nj said:

The health standards in Thailand are not good to begin with.  So I wouldn’t be concerned about fish from Japanese waters.  There are other things to watch out for. 
And the Japanese restaurants for the most part are run and owned by Thais. Not Japanese 

Quite agree, the restaurant food hygiene is a bit lacking in Thailand. Seen some things that make my stomach do a flip. One Japanese restaurant I went a few times ( owned by Thai family) had little square plates with ready cut up raw chicken stacked in the heat. Probably the same as all other meats and seafood/ fish. I stopped eating there after that. Another terrible habit of Thais, is re - freezing frozen food that’s been defrosted. I’ve been to Japan , it looks a lot cleaner than Thailand , and the restaurants take hygiene very seriously. I have a good nose for that. Also, I’m,quite sure that most of the products are locally sourced in Thailand. You can also get food poisoning anywhere, even if the restaurant is a well known expensive one.  

Immediately following the triple meltdown, The US EPA simply raised the acceptable levels of radioactive exposure rather than letting people know that the former levels had been done away with all together.   (Because they are no longer obtainable with the ongoing meltdown.)  This has not improved things in the Fukushima area as we do not currently have the technology to deal with it.   Hopefully someday we will,   until then the "new" acceptable exposures will stand.      The EPA knew that if they didn't  alter the acceptable limits,  then people would panic and they might have to do something to address the situation.   What they chose to do was criminal in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...