Purchase Brangus Cattle

Best place to find breeders with stock to sell, buy some of the monthly, bi-monthly magazines, you'll have more success if you buy those that concentrate on Brahmans. Of course, these mags are all in Thai. I have a mag somewhere that recently did an article on the Brangus breed, so they are about, but my guess, not so numerous. I will search through the old mags (hundreds of them) will try to find that article. I will pm you if I find it & you can have the mag if you want.

Where should I look to buy qty. 6 to 10 young quality female Brangus heifers in Thailand? - heifers preferably but cows considered -

Any other advice on setting up a small beef enterprise here in Thailand would be very welcome -

Hi Don,

I am not a beef cattle expert, but I know a little bit about this and that. I wonder if instead of Brangus you should go for the hybrid Angus x (with what I think is called...) Yellow Asian cattle. The latter breed was once the main local cattle breed but now seems to have been replaced in Thailand by the Brahman but here in Laos it is still the dominant cattle breed. The University of Ubon Ratchathani in Thailand has been doing the breeding so perhaps they can advise you where to get animals. The hybrid produces small but stocky black colored beef animals. I once posted some pictures in this forum, so if you search for Angus you may find them.

Other advice... I think the most important factor is good nutrition and therefore you need to produce lots of good quality forage. I think one of the best forage grasses to grow is Mulato 2 - also available from Ubon University, but they may now be out of stock. Seed is more expensive than the standard Ruzi and Guinea grasses, but its performance is superior (higher production, higher protein, stays green longer in the dry season). Most of the seed produced in Thailand is exported to tropical America for the big ranches. You can check but I think the price is about US$15/kg and you need about 1 kg per rai; the price is coming down each year as seed production increases.

If you want more protein, also grow the legume stylo, either Thaphra Stylo or Ubon Stylo. Yes, you guessed it, the latter is available from Ubon University and no I don't have any shares in Ubon University! :o

Best regards,

JB.

• 2 years later...
Where should I look to buy qty. 6 to 10 young quality female Brangus heifers in Thailand? - heifers preferably but cows considered -

Any other advice on setting up a small beef enterprise here in Thailand would be very welcome -

Hi Don,

I am not a beef cattle expert, but I know a little bit about this and that. I wonder if instead of Brangus you should go for the hybrid Angus x (with what I think is called...) Yellow Asian cattle. The latter breed was once the main local cattle breed but now seems to have been replaced in Thailand by the Brahman but here in Laos it is still the dominant cattle breed. The University of Ubon Ratchathani in Thailand has been doing the breeding so perhaps they can advise you where to get animals. The hybrid produces small but stocky black colored beef animals. I once posted some pictures in this forum, so if you search for Angus you may find them.

Other advice... I think the most important factor is good nutrition and therefore you need to produce lots of good quality forage. I think one of the best forage grasses to grow is Mulato 2 - also available from Ubon University, but they may now be out of stock. Seed is more expensive than the standard Ruzi and Guinea grasses, but its performance is superior (higher production, higher protein, stays green longer in the dry season). Most of the seed produced in Thailand is exported to tropical America for the big ranches. You can check but I think the price is about US$15/kg and you need about 1 kg per rai; the price is coming down each year as seed production increases.

If you want more protein, also grow the legume stylo, either Thaphra Stylo or Ubon Stylo. Yes, you guessed it, the latter is available from Ubon University and no I don't have any shares in Ubon University! :)

Best regards,

JB.

Dear Sir

I want to buy Mulato II grass seed in Thailand. Could you please some add where supply them?

Best regard

ccdesert18

To clarify what a Brangus is.

Shiny jet black with long floppy ears

A mix of 5/8 Angus

3/8 Brahman

Some may wonder, Why bother?

The Angus have good beef quality and they are wonderful mothers,

while the Brahman are hardy in difficult hot humid weather

and they bring additional size to the smallish Angus.

This blend accentuates the advantages of both breeds,

while minimizing the undesirable traits.

Attached is a chart of reach that blend.

I know I'm 2 years late in noticing this thread.

I believe there is a Cattleman in Tak who raises Brangus,

because on the North side of Tak city is a fiberglass white cow of the right shape,

and the name Brangus is on the sign...

It catches my attention because I'd not expected to ever see a white Brangus.

Brangus_5_Angus_3_Brahman.xls