Fake NATO military doctor arrested for romance scam

webfact

image.jpeg

Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau (CCIB) officers arrested a Thai man involved in a romance scam. The swindler deceived victims by claiming he was a military doctor for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) looking to relocate to Thailand.

Several victims filed complaints with the police after they lost money to the romance scam gang. Following further investigation into the case, the CCIB uncovered evidence of another victim transferring money to a bank account linked to the scam gang. CCIB officers reached out to the victim on June 23 to tell her story.

The victim revealed to the police that she met the scammer on Instagram. The scammer told her that he was a Vietnamese doctor who worked for NATO. After she fell into the romantic trap, the scammer asked her to help him with a financial issue.

The scammer allegedly professed a desire to relocate and live with the victim in Thailand. However, he claimed that the United Nations (UN) required payment for the relocation process. Initially, he asked for 10,000 baht, but this amount gradually increased to 25,000 baht, with persistent pleas for additional funds. The victim eventually lost about 60,000 baht to the man.

The CCIB later arrested the scammer at a dormitory in the Bang Kapi district of Bangkok today, July 18. The scammer was identified as Narathip.

by Petch Petpailin 

Top Photo via Facebook/ กองบังคับการตำรวจสืบสวนสอบสวนอาชญากรรมทางเทคโนโลยี 3 - CCID3

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would be interested which crimes he is accused of. Lying to women who then send him money?

Is that a crime?

I know it's not nice to lie. But as far as I know it is often not a crime.

it is when there is a large sum of money involved.

he received money on a false pretext. ie relocation

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I would be interested which crimes he is accused of. Lying to women who then send him money?

Is that a crime?

Yes he lied, which is very common and not a crime.

However when linked to a scam to extort money under false pretenses then it can be considered a crime.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is that a crime?

I was thinking the same thing, how is it any different from the tens of 1000's of bargirls tricking money out of farangs?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The swindler deceived victims by claiming he was a military doctor for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) looking to relocate to Thailand.

i'd like to know what kind of spiel he was telling his victims so that they would believe him and send him money. after all, nato is not just any organisation and its officers are well paid.

1 hour ago, Pique Dard said:

i'd like to know what kind of spiel he was telling his victims so that they would believe him and send him money. after all, nato is not just any organisation and its officers are well paid.

Women want a guy with a prestigious job and good income.

I am sure some would believe stories that he has his money in some country far away and it takes time to get it out of that country.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is that a crime?

It's fraud. "A deliberate scheme to obtain financial or similar gain by using false statements, misrepresentations, concealment of important information, ..." per legal definition

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is that a crime?

lying is a crime when the lie causes material, financial or reputational damages to others.

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

It's fraud. "A deliberate scheme to obtain financial or similar gain by using false statements, misrepresentations, concealment of important information, ..." per legal definition

1 hour ago, tgw said:

lying is a crime when the lie causes material, financial or reputational damages to others.

Then again, why are not lots of Thai women prosecuted for lying to obtain money from their farang darlings?

I understand that some guys are embarrassed, and they wouldn't go to court. But just reading this forum there are some guys who are really upset and want their money back. I don't remember ever reading a story that one of those farangs got their money back. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Then again, why are not lots of Thai women prosecuted for lying to obtain money from their farang darlings?

I understand that some guys are embarrassed, and they wouldn't go to court. But just reading this forum there are some guys who are really upset and want their money back. I don't remember ever reading a story that one of those farangs got their money back.

I guess it's not always straightforward to prove.

But yes, I already heard about "farangs" winning court cases against women who lied to them.

Winning the court case however, doesn't always mean they get their money back, most of the time it will already have been spent/transferred, and in case of real estate, they had to certify the money came from the woman, so...

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1