Thailand Aims to Attract 25.8 Million Asian Tourists in 2024

webfact

image.jpeg

National — The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is planning to attract 25.8 million tourists from short-haul countries next year, 2024.

TAT deputy governor Thanet Petchsuwan said TAT is targeting tourists from the Asian and South Pacific markets aka the short-haul markets.

The goal of attracting 25.8 million tourists from these markets was set during the recent meeting of TAT. This number represents 74% of the overall next year target of 35 million international tourists. The objective is to generate revenue of 1.2 trillion baht, which accounts for 63% of the total foreign market revenue target of 1.92 trillion baht.

The target is divided among tourists from Eastern Asia (12.48 million), ASEAN countries (10.51 million), South Asia (2.1 million), and Oceania (787,000).

Thanet stated that the hardest challenge is the Chinese market. Although there has been some relief in the number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand in 2023, it is still not certain that the number will reach the expected target of 5 million tourists as in the first six months of this year, Thailand saw only 1.44 million arrivals from China.

Meanwhile, Siripakorn Cheawsamoot, TAT deputy governor for Europe, Africa, the Middle East, and the Americas, stated that TAT has set a target of attracting 9.2 million tourists from long-haul markets such as Europe and the United States.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

PHOTO: Thansettakij

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/07/18/thailand-aims-to-attract-25-8-million-asian-tourists-in-2024/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

That's good and dandy but they really need are tourist that will spend money unlike the Chinese and Indians.....

They do a lot fly to Bangkok 2 days for shopping....or even just 1 day. Also Chinese and Indians are doing that.

Maybe they spend less on average but they are far more and there are some high spender.

3 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

That's good and dandy but they really need are tourist that will spend money unlike the Chinese and Indians.....

Well, that didn't take long--wondered when someone would be along with your flawed argument and looks like you're first out of the gate.  Once again, I'll present the true picture.  In 2019, there were 10 million+ Chinese visitors, spending around 48,000 baht each.  Your highest spenders, that you covet, were from the Middle East, spending an average of 72,000 baht.  Less than 100,000 in 2019.

Now, I, myself, would prefer to receive 10 million checks for 48,000 baht each rather than 100,000 checks for 72,000 baht each.  I think likewise for Thailand.   While spending somewhat less, the huge numbers provide much more in the way of tourist revenue for Thailand.  China, spending over 500 billion baht in 2019, was the number 1 country for tourist revenue that year.  And, before you say all that money went back to China, the majority of Chinese tourists that year were independent tourists, not in tour groups. 

The dominant tourist market for Thailand has been Asia for sometime now--and likely will be in 2024, as well.  That doesn't mean that high-spending tourists from all over are not important--tourists from all economic strata are valued and needed on a steady basis to fill all the hotel rooms, ranging from hostels to 5-star resorts.

• Thanks 1

Just now, newnative said:

Well, that didn't take long--wondered when someone would be along with your flawed argument

.... well I also wondered when you would be along to put him straight too! :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Aimlessly aiming

Arrows.jpg

I read an interesting article a few days ago (BBC?) saying the new tourism trend is to head for colder climates, Nordic countries and the like, Europeans, Americans and Asians have grown sick of the hot weather, of course these holidays are more expensive. My brother who lives in Australia took a cruise holiday with his wife to the Antarctic this year ( cost an arm and a leg)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

.... well I also wondered when you would be along to put him straight too! :laugh:

To be honest I think India with it's growing production market for international trade is fast going to become the next "China"... 

Times are looking good for now and much better in the future.

Soon Thousands of Indians will find they have the disposable income to flex their wings.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

To be honest I think India with it's growing production market for international trade is fast going to become the next "China"... 

Times are looking good for now and much better in the future.

Soon Thousands of Indians will find they have the disposable income to flex their wings.

I believe it was on this Forum I read today that per capita daily spending in Thailand, by Indian tourists, was catching up to that of Chinese tourists, putting both into the  super-spender group! Absolutely gobsmacked! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I believe it was on this Forum I read today that per capita daily spending in Thailand, by Indian tourists, was catching up to that of Chinese tourists, putting both into the  super-spender group! Absolutely gobsmacked! 

India is attracting world attention by providing the means for companies to easily move to India or bail-out of China.

They are giving very easy terms to set-up shop and provide labour..

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

India is attracting world attention by providing the means for companies to easily move to India or bail-out of China.

They are giving very easy terms to set-up shop and provide labour..

I went to both India and China multiple times when working, back in the 80s...... some impressions of incredible poverty have tainted my knowledge of how the places may be nowadays. 

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I went to both India and China multiple times when working, back in the 80s...... some impressions of incredible poverty have tainted my knowledge of how the places may be nowadays. 

True, India is a vast country with good and bad all around.

Wealth is abundant and so is poverty for the less fortunate.. as does any modern country.

They are now on an upward beat as they have the full support of the government to allow foreign investment pour into the country for the right reasons, unlike China who want to get you into a debt trap.