Australians divided over ‘Voice to Parliament’ for Indigenous people

Social Media

image.png

A landmark referendum backed by the government would give Indigenous people constitutional recognition and greater say on legislation and policy affecting them.

A proposal by the Australian government to recognize the country’s Indigenous people in the constitution has inflamed a culture war and set off divisive debates — including among Indigenous people themselves. 

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese’s center-left Labor government is backing a landmark referendum to enshrine in the Australian Constitution an Indigenous body — known as a “Voice to Parliament” — to advise the government on legislation and policy affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, who make up almost 4% of Australia’s population of 26 million.

Unlike other former British colonies such as the United States, Canada and New Zealand, Australia has no treaty with its Indigenous people, who are not mentioned in the 1901 constitution. Like Indigenous peoples in the United States and elsewhere, Indigenous Australians fare much worse than their fellow countrymen on life expectancy, incarceration rates and other measures of socioeconomic well-being.

FULL STORY

image.png

dum backed by the government would give Indigenous people constitutional recognition and greater say on legislation and policy affecting them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The worst bits of US and the UK culture always seem to filter through to Australia eventually. Normally it takes a couple of decades but in this case it seems to have been quicker.

Prepare for race relations to get a whole lot worse when these type of policies spring up. Different rules/systems based on race/heritage never ends well. 

I also wonder how the "selection" of this body will work. Elections where only certain Demographics can vote? Or "selected" behind closed doors? Doesn't sound very Democratic to me. 

What next? An Asian body to advise the government on issues affecting Asian Australians? If not, why not? How about a separate body for each race/religion/background. That should really drive the wedge between everyone.

Nah, not for me. Better to treat all disadvantaged groups the same, no matter the race or heritage. 

Invading a place, claiming it and disposing the indigenous population.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

That's history. Happened to everyone, and happened by everyone.  Conquest is simple human reality.  

North America was the same. There is this strange fantasy among people that the native population was all living in harmony, singing and dancing together in peace and joy. Then, the evil white men came along and slaughtered them. It's nonsense. There was inter-tribal warfare for centuries before Columbus arrived. Slaughter, slavery, conquest, eviction, the whole nine yards. Oz was the same but on a smaller scale due to geography and population density.

Nice strawman.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

How so? Poorly educated progressives and wannabe social justice warriors have been promulgating the myth of the Noble Savage since the age of Rousseau.  It is historically inaccurate and also infantilizing if native people.

And we know you have the best interest of native people’s at heart.

Regardless it’s a line of argument only you are making without any one here making your ‘Noble savage’ assertion.

You are putting up strawman.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Thanks, I am rather fond of it myself!  But it does put paid to the myth of the poor oppressed native folks, who would have lived in Paradise if not for the mean whities. 

As for having a voice in Parliament, the indigenous ALREADY have a voice. It's called "the vote" and they can use it just like everyone else.

I'd stop digging here if I were you. The Aboriginal voice in parliament will be advisory only. Aborigines will continue to vote alongside everybody else in general elections.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Thanks, I am rather fond of it myself!  But it does put paid to the myth of the poor oppressed native folks, who would have lived in Paradise if not for the mean whities. 

As for having a voice in Parliament, the indigenous ALREADY have a voice. It's called "the vote" and they can use it just like everyone else.

Aust was invaded in 1788,almost 200yrs later descendants of those that survived were given voting rights. Sounds fair enough? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Aust was invaded in 1788,almost 200yrs later descendants of those that survived were given voting rights. Sounds fair enough? 

Sure, why not? Means that today everyone has equal rights.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

No, it's not. They lost it to the invading British and other assorted Europeans.  

Yes. It was stolen illegally off them. 

It's fair enough to say sorry and give them it back.  I'm sure they EU let the other nationalities stay there. 

Edited by jak2002003

22 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

As an Englishman with a sense of humour I would love to see that happen.

It would be absolutely hilarious.

Side splittingly hilarious. For decades…

Please, take this idea further.

I think it’s normally others who decide if one has or has not a sense of humor.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:06 PM, AnnaBanana said:

It won't be long before that "Voice to Parlement" becomes a howl for the payment of ever-increasing amounts of "reparations" for past wrongs.

How similar actions go in the USA might predict the force of resistance these race-hustlers can expect.

Ah, the old slippery slope canard.

14 hours ago, Olmate said:

Where are you sitting, on Uluru or Ayres Rock? 

I've been swimming on top of Ayres Rock if that helps.

• 8 months later...

I am in favour of a two state solution and the indigenous people being given their land back 

The Apartheid and Genocide need to stop , Boycott all Australian goods until they comply and don't allow Australia to participate in any World events until they comply with my orders

They are behaving just like the Nazis 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I am in favour of a two state solution and the indigenous people being given their land back 

The Apartheid and Genocide need to stop , Boycott all Australian goods until they comply and don't allow Australia to participate in any World events until they comply with my orders

They are behaving just like the Nazis 

Blame Britain, not us mob!