Wise - Transfer Wise & US cards

As I have for years, I went to move money today via debit card through Wise....Which I do on a monthly basis....

As I went through the process my card transaction wouldn't go through - followed with this message.....

Am I at the tip of an iceberg or spear here? Up until last month everything sailed through - until now....

Am I the first or is there guidance or information or another topic/thread to overcome an obviously huge problem....

This is going to cause big problems for many, many expats....

Is there any feedback or advice out there.....

IMG_20230719_201321.jpg

Edited by pgrahmm
Spacing

On 7/19/2023 at 8:22 PM, pgrahmm said:

As I have for years, I went to move money today via debit card through Wise....Which I do on a monthly basis....

As I went through the process my card transaction wouldn't go through - followed with this message.....

Am I at the tip of an iceberg or spear here? Up until last month everything sailed through - until now....

Am I the first or is there guidance or information or another topic/thread to overcome an obviously huge problem....

This is going to cause big problems for many, many expats....

Is there any feedback or advice out there.....

IMG_20230719_201321.jpg

They take Canadian cards but they want a payslip, tax return I sent a tax return which was still rejected.  Could get a Canadian bank card easy maybe 

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Davejf2017 said:

I transfer mine from my UK bank account to my Bangkok bank account it goes through in seconds. 

They held a UK payment this week on me a little screaming at the woman on the phone and it went through 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I sent money from my US bank using my US debit card to my Thai bank about 2 weeks ago and it went through without any problems.  Now I'm curious if something has changed, OP please keep us posted, TIA.

Edit; Debit card info off their website

Wise Website

Edited by bbko
  • Like 2

I transfer by debit card from Oz.... there is a restriction on the amount Wise will take on Oz debit card --Just $A18,000., but silly as it seems you can do as many transaction as you want--same day.

7 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

How to transfer money via a debit card using Wise?!

Enquiring minds want to know! ????

If it is listed as an option for payment when doing transfer - just follow the instructions to pay Wise - Wise then makes the payment to recipient.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

The below is copied from the Wise terms and conditions.  Just a thought, is the address registered to your Wise account outside the US?

We currently can’t accept payments from:

• Payment cards not in your name or your business' name

• US issued cards, if the address on your Wise account is outside the US.

• All cards issued in Argentina, China, and Nigeria

• Business cards issued in Russia and Belarus

• Prepaid cards from the UAE, or international payments from an AED currency card

• Credit cards issued in Singapore

• any card when you're paying for MYR transfers or balance top ups

• any card if your address is in Türkiye

Yes, I have a Thai address with Wise .... I went into my profile & the address is locked in = cannot be changed.....

It's the same address as on my US bank account as I don't want to risk conflicting zips or any other cross check that might be in play.....

Upon my Wise app request, Wise does an EFT from my US bank and transfers it to my Bangkok Bank account as a FTT. I would think this would be as easy (or now possibly easier) than using a Debit Card? ' Course it could just be a current, "glitch" you are facing.

1 hour ago, Soondae said:

Don't use the card, use the ACH routing number (bank) and account number that the card debits from and it'll go right through.

I'm pursuing that, however when I get to my US bank app sign in the sign in is rejected due to the Wise app being detected along side of my log on - third party detected & not opening for security purposes.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, bbko said:

I sent money from my US bank using my US debit card to my Thai bank about 2 weeks ago and it went through without any problems.  Now I'm curious if something has changed, OP please keep us posted, TIA.

Edit; Debit card info off their website

Wise Website

Sorry, posting too early in the morning, what I meant to say was Wise withdraws money from my checking account; not my debit card.

Very strange , 

I don't use a Card , I  use I banking. 

I transfer from my bank in Aus to Wise in Aus and get my THB in My bank in Thailand .

Usually it takes about 3 days over the weekend for the THB to come in the bank. 

If transferring during the week most times 1 day depending what time off the day I transfer money to Wise. Aus is 3 Hrs ahead off Thailand at the moment.

6 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Upon my Wise app request, Wise does an EFT from my US bank and transfers it to my Bangkok Bank account as a FTT. I would think this would be as easy (or now possibly easier) than using a Debit Card? ' Course it could just be a current, "glitch" you are facing.

A few years back I would send funds from my American Bank to Thailand using EFTs until Bangkok Bank (actually the Thai Banking system) stopped accepting international EFTs claiming that EFTs don't include an address in Thailand. They gave notice they wanted Wire Transfers which allowed that address information to be sent as part of the wire.  After six months of that notice I actually had one EFT refused by Bangkok Bank. So, now I only can send wires, which means I have to call the Bank (because they must read a Frank Dodd notice to me before sending the wire), instead of an online procedure for EFTs.  The bank doesn't charge any fees for the wire, but Bangkok Bank charges 261.83 Baht (0.25%) to send US $3,000 (104,730.00 Baht) as shown on the Bangkok Bank credit advice. A good exchange rate of 34.91 on July 6, 2023.  How does Wise stack up against that exchange rate and fee?

2 hours ago, BKK57 said:

A good exchange rate of 34.91 on July 6, 2023.  How does Wise stack up against that exchange rate and fee?

Would depend on the time of day, at 11pm on July 6th, Wise showed a rate of 35.23.

They currently charge $16.62 for a $3,000 transaction but they do also give out fee refunds (if you are a UK customer) and on the 5th of July I received a fee rebate of 40% of the fees I had paid the previous month.

"What are fee refunds?

Currently, we’re offering fee refunds to a trial group of customers in the United Kingdom."

11 hours ago, Soondae said:

Don't use the card, use the ACH routing number (bank) and account number that the card debits from and it'll go right through.

I'm working on that now....My bank won't open up it's app if a third party is detected, (Wise's shortcut method).....

I'll update on how it's progressing....

3 hours ago, BKK57 said:

A few years back I would send funds from my American Bank to Thailand using EFTs until Bangkok Bank (actually the Thai Banking system) stopped accepting international EFTs claiming that EFTs don't include an address in Thailand. They gave notice they wanted Wire Transfers which allowed that address information to be sent as part of the wire.  After six months of that notice I actually had one EFT refused by Bangkok Bank. So, now I only can send wires, which means I have to call the Bank (because they must read a Frank Dodd notice to me before sending the wire), instead of an online procedure for EFTs.  The bank doesn't charge any fees for the wire, but Bangkok Bank charges 261.83 Baht (0.25%) to send US $3,000 (104,730.00 Baht) as shown on the Bangkok Bank credit advice. A good exchange rate of 34.91 on July 6, 2023.  How does Wise stack up against that exchange rate and fee?

You are partially correct but the Thai banking system did not put a stop to use of EFT's via the US ACH system, the US government put the stop to it! This was all from the H. Clinton anti terrorist measures during the Obama administration but didn't come about till Trump was in office. She was concerned that money was being funded out of the USA to terrorists abroad using this system causing much pain for us normal EXPATS abroad.

As far as I was able to ascertain, only BBL had a registered ACH account for Thai banks in the USA (New York branch). The ACH via BBL is still allowed for those US EXPAT receiving payments via the Social Security System and the IRS will even use the same account for refund deposits so long as you have your SSA benefits deposited that way.

on occasion I use Wise Ach .

I fund wise through there usa partner(Evolve Bank). 
Bank of America ach to Evolve , which shows up in my Wise account 3 days later , than transfer to Bkk bank.
Majority of the time I use Charles Schwab debit cause its free

I made it a mission to have 4 or 5 options to get money here!

Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Was ok for years.....Now this.....

Very lucky you are. 

last time I asked my bank (about 5 years ago) what happens if change my address to Thailand ? The answer was, no US address, no account.  ????

Edited by The Theory
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

How to transfer money via a debit card using Wise?!

Enquiring minds want to know! ????

There are a couple countries that Wise will not take a debit or credit transfers from. They also will not take a US card if the Wise account address doesn't match the US card address. I believe that's a requirement of the US card issuers\Banks and is enforced by Wise. I believe it's for scam prevention.

Edited by Dan O
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATE = SUCCESS !!!

If you follow through the possible options or ways to connect there are a few choices....

Some were involving Wise outsourced (linked) companies to overcome the roadblock of my bank not accepting a log in with a 3rd party tagging along.....

I was not comfortable supplying what I considered private financial information to completely unknown entities....

At the very end of the options there was an choice to manually input my bank routing & my account numbers directly to Wise.....This I did....

Wise then deposited 2 small amounts of under a dollar into my US bank account.....It took until the next business day....

With the two small deposit amounts I logged on to Wise supplying the amounts when prompted to continue my paused transfer from yesterday.....

Within one minute of verification my transfer was completed and deposited into my Bangkok bank account...

Hope this helps anybody else that has, or, will run into this roadblock....

It's at the very end of the choice option list & worked like a charm....

Cheers & wishing you well....

• Thumbs Up 1